Speckie v1.0.0 - Spell Check for IE

No dictionairies in Version 1.6.4.0 ?

And there is no Tools| Speckie menu as far as I can see.

If you have the time, could you please contact me ? I'd really like to get to the bottom of this dictionary not installing issue.

I don't see where that is fair. Sure, we all want everything to work perfectly and as expected every single time but that's not reality. Now some makers tell consumers off and are not receptive to criticism. mauro has bent over backwards to address issues quickly with this new and unique product - which for most of us, works perfectly.

It's all good, Bill. It's impossible to please everyone :)

It's impossible to please everyone
No doubt, and that's probably a good thing. But it is important to put blame where it belongs. And if that cannot be determined, then hold off levying judgment.

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this bug, but once I installed speckie, webpages took longer to load. About 5-7 seconds in some cases, visiting any site, from Google to here. Normally they pop up in a fraction of a second. After disabling speckie everything was good again. Using Win7 64 bit with IE9 RTM.

I have the same issue with the same config. It was really bizarre: might have been a conflict of add-ons but I really do not know which one could be the trouble maker because I have very few of them.

I wish I could give more information but I am clueless on that

I reinstalled my machine over the week-end. I'll give Speckie a new run ...

Pretty great job with this so far. It's given me a reason to use Internet Explorer 9. It's still missing a lot of things I require, but this makes it a good backup browser to Chromium.

I have the same issue with the same config. It was really bizarre: might have been a conflict of add-ons but I really do not know which one could be the trouble maker because I have very few of them.

I wish I could give more information but I am clueless on that

I reinstalled my machine over the week-end. I'll give Speckie a new run ...

Give the current Beta a go

Pretty great job with this so far. It's given me a reason to use Internet Explorer 9. It's still missing a lot of things I require, but this makes it a good backup browser to Chromium.

Feel free to let me know what features you require :)

Read here

I did look there and I did not see any menu options for Speckie. After viewing your link, I looked again for "REAL" and it is not there either. I'd take a screenshot but clicking anywhere else closes the menu.

BTW - I know in IE8 you had to press the Alt key to see the "Main Menu" which contains the Tools Menu, but I think that trend started with IE7, and there was a simple "tweak" many applied. It is not new to IE9.

Another Beta is out. Those of you that experienced an issue with the 64 bit MSI installer, give it a try and see if it's fixed.

@Bill_Bright, the issue with the Tools menu is partly a bug in IE; it will show the Speckie menu item in the Tools menu for the very first tab only, not any subsequent tabs. Either way, it's simple to navigate to the settings via about:Speckie. FYI, you can hit the Print Screen key to take a screen shot of the entire desktop without it affecting any menu on display.

I am currently trying Speckie 1.6.4 downloaded yesterday. The Beta web page says 1.6.5 at the top and 1.6.4 at the bottom by the way.

So far, so good, I do not seem to experience the slowness again. Since I Triple-R'ed my workstation, I did not put everything I used to have. I will keep you posted if I ever get a problem after installing an other add-on.

I had to disable it, had a lot of problems with the google page taking ages to load and freezing for some time. After disabling speckie the behaviour returned to normal

I had to disable it, had a lot of problems with the google page taking ages to load and freezing for some time. After disabling speckie the behaviour returned to normal

Are you referring to the latest Beta or a previous version ?

That's 4 now, but It's all good, It's Impossible to please everyone. :rolleyes:

That's 4 now, but It's all good, It's Impossible to please everyone. :rolleyes:

Yes, because inaccurate statements and trolling will fix it too. (Y) :rolleyes:

Mauro - good work buddy, keep it up. I'm yet to see issues on the numerous systems i've tried it on. :)

mauro I don't know what you did but all the problems I had, dictionaries not showing and Gmail freeze, are solved now. Excellent work en thanks a lot!! :cool:

IE9 is now my default browser.

@Bill_Bright, the issue with the Tools menu is partly a bug in IE; it will show the Speckie menu item in the Tools menu for the very first tab only, not any subsequent tabs. Either way, it's simple to navigate to the settings via about:Speckie. FYI, you can hit the Print Screen key to take a screen shot of the entire desktop without it affecting any menu on display.

There is no Speckie or REAL menu in Tools, whether one tab or many. I find it hard to accept it is a bug in IE when other programs work fine. And about: Speckie? Where is that? There is no way that I can see to get to any "about". How do I access that? It almost seems as if we are talking about two different programs.

Also, no spelling support with pinned webpages is a problem. IESpell works perfectly with pinned sites.

I am using 1.6.5.

I did a test just now, here's the result. I wrote two sentences, and purposely put mistakes to see if Speckie would work. It did not catch anything, except for 1 word, and the minute I pressed enter to create a new paragraph all the red underlines disappeared.

This person on another forum has the same problem.

29cqpdy.png

mauro I don't know what you did but all the problems I had, dictionaries not showing and Gmail freeze, are solved now. Excellent work en thanks a lot!! :cool:

IE9 is now my default browser.

Thanks for the feedback. I simply fixed up a couple of conspiring issues ;)

There is no Speckie or REAL menu in Tools, whether one tab or many. I find it hard to accept it is a bug in IE when other programs work fine. And about: Speckie? Where is that? There is no way that I can see to get to any "about". How do I access that? It almost seems as if we are talking about two different programs.

Also, no spelling support with pinned webpages is a problem. IESpell works perfectly with pinned sites.

I am using 1.6.5.

@Bill_Bright, There's a bug in the full installer at present that's causing the issue with the Speckie menu item. However, the single tab issue I've mentioned previously will still be there once I fix that up.

As for pinned sites, I've added it to the FAQ page that it's a limitation of IE. Clearly you don't believe that, so here's the IE team stating it.

To access the Speckie settings, in IE's navigation bar (where you type in URL's), type in about:Speckie and hit the Enter key.

If you feel IESpell is relative to your needs, by all means use it. I will not write hacks or work-around's to bypass IE's security.

I hope this clears up any confusion.