Next Gen iPhone Parts Leaked

Boy Genius Report points to a YouTube video from smartphone parts firm Global Direct Parts claiming to show a comparison between parts from the iPhone 4 and an unreleased iPhone model that the company suggests may either be the CDMA iPhone 4 rumored for release in the near future or a fifth-generation iPhone. Due to the presence of a SIM-card slot, which is not required for CDMA phones, it would appear more likely that the device in question is a fifth-generation iPhone if it is indeed legitimate. It is of course possible that the part is either from a well-done fake iPhone 4 or perhaps an alternate design for the iPhone 4 that was ultimately not used.

The video highlights a number of similarities and a few differences from the current iPhone when it comes to interior parts and cables. A look at the "middle plate" that contains the stainless steel band that wraps around the edge of the device and provides the device's antennas that have been the cause of such controversy on the iPhone 4 reveals a few differences between the two devices : the break points in the frame between the two antennas have been moved to different locations, indicating that the antenna design has been tweaked despite a very similar overall appearance for the new iPhone. The shift in antenna design has also necessitated a slight adjustment in the location of several other physical features, most significantly the mute switch.

140357-iphone_antenna_comparison.jpg

The video concludes with a teaser claiming that more information on LCDs and motherboards is coming on the company's site, with additional information to be released next week.

Source: MacRumors via BGR and GDP

This definitely looks like an Apple part. I would say that it's either an old iPhone 4 prototype or part of a new iPhone "4.5" that's basically the same as the iPhone 4 but as a CDMA+GSM worldphone.

Naaaaah...

Even if... All I want to know by Jan 21 is: when could I get my hands on the iPhone 5, what are its improvements, does it finally have a decent amount of storage?

Would make my decision whether to actually wait for it or take an iPhone 4 home with me the same day much easier! :whistle:

(contract extension time hehe)

Glassed Silver:lin

It looks pretty much exactly the same though...

I wish they would make one with a 4" screen, but I guess it won't be "sleek" enough...

Naaaaah...

Even if... All I want to know by Jan 21 is: when could I get my hands on the iPhone 5, what are its improvements, does it finally have a decent amount of storage?

Would make my decision whether to actually wait for it or take an iPhone 4 home with me the same day much easier! :whistle:

(contract extension time hehe)

Glassed Silver:lin

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't iPhone 4's have 16/32gb storage options?

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't iPhone 4's have 16/32gb storage options?

Maybe Glassed Silver was referring to even more like 64GB to bring it in line with the iPod touch. whistle.gif

So it definitely seems to be a real Apple part since they pulled it down. Still doesn't tell us whether it's old (early iPhone 4 prototype) or something new.

What provider are you with that you're getting ~94 Mb/s?

So it definitely seems to be a real Apple part since they pulled it down. Still doesn't tell us whether it's old (early iPhone 4 prototype) or something new.

The request could have been faked.

In the video the guy pointed out that the new frame didn't have a hole for the front facing camera, and many of the other holes were different. It's very possible it's an unfinished prototype for the next iphone, but there's really not enough information about it. Some of the differences do look like they address some problems with the current design though. Guess we have to keep waiting to find out.

why do we have CDMA phones anymore! arnt they going out, with simcard taking over! here in NZ they getting rid of CDMA phones...

why do we have CDMA phones anymore! arnt they going out, with simcard taking over! here in NZ they getting rid of CDMA phones...

Sprint and Verizon in the US are CDMA and account for a pretty big chunk of subscribers. Verizon is transitioning to LTE but they only have it rolled out in major cities, it will be two or three years before you can practically use an LTE-only phone here.