• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

sd card question.

Dane    177

So I am still debating what type of sd card I should get. I have a new nikon d3100. I don't do alot of high speed shooting. I found a 4gig sd ultra for 20$ but I found an 8gig for 18. Is an ultra card really worth it? I can wait between shots.

remus_lupin    10

Ultra? Which specific Make/Model is it? What class is that? The card's speed matters when you do burst shooting.

What is "important" is the class of the card, e.g. Class 10 < Class 6 < Class 4 < Class 2

Check these out:

http://www.amazon.co...94275358&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co...94275245&sr=8-2

I think you just made a mistake with your greater than sign, I normally wouldn't pick on that, but I don't want Dane to think a class 2 card is the best card, as it is the worst, so the order is right going from fastest to slowest but the signs are backwards

Sandisk is a great reliable make btw

Dane    177

Thanks guys. Both the ultra and the sdhc is class 4. Does it matter that I don't do burst shots? How many pictures could I get on a 4gig card if each picture is around 6MB?

Do I need a class 6 if I just do pictures?

With Transcend are they better than the SD Ultra with write speed?

giantpotato    296

You can fit around 680 pictures on a 4GB card if they are 6MB each.

A class 4 card corresponds to a 4MB/s write speed, so if your pictures are 6MB it will take approximately 1.5 seconds to save a picture to the card.

Dane    177

You can fit around 680 pictures on a 4GB card if they are 6MB each.

A class 4 card corresponds to a 4MB/s write speed, so if your pictures are 6MB it will take approximately 1.5 seconds to save a picture to the card.

So does the sd ultra lie? It says its class 4 but has I think it said 15MB write speed

remus_lupin    10

So does the sd ultra lie? It says its class 4 but has I think it said 15MB write speed

I believe that class 4 just means that 4MB/S is the MINIMUM speed you are getting (and is universal and can be used as a standard for any card company), whereas sandisk wants to say their ultra line will go UP TO 15MB/s... so really I guess you are getting a speed closer to 4MB/s with a possibility of 15 MB/s? that is my best guess

As well... you say you want to do high speed shots but can wait between shots.... how many shots are you talking? because your camera comes with it's own built in buffer... whatever that may be I don't know, let's say it is 9 shots, that means you can take 9 photos at full speed before the camera starts slowing down (due to the card) so regardless of how SLOW the card is, you'll always be able to take 9 shots at full burst... but if you have a faster card you can potentially do a lot more than 9 shots at once.

Dane    177

I thought I said I don't do high speed shots. Sorry. But yeah I don't do high speed ones

remus_lupin    10

I thought I said I don't do high speed shots. Sorry. But yeah I don't do high speed ones

oh you're right you did, sorry I misread it... yeah if you're not doing high speed shots then you should be fine with the ultra class 4 card you are looking at!

I wouldn't go less than the class 4 tho, so if the 8 gig card you were looking at is a class 2 I wouldn't get it.

Dane    177

oh you're right you did, sorry I misread it... yeah if you're not doing high speed shots then you should be fine with the ultra class 4 card you are looking at!

What about a normal 8gig class 4 sdhc?

remus_lupin    10

What about a normal 8gig class 4 sdhc?

tbh in terms of speed I think any class 4 SHOULD be fine... but in terms of brand I would try to stick with more well known ones just in case... even though both may work for you, a class 4 sandisk or what have you may be more reliable than a class 4 duracell ... and since we are not talking about huge 32 gig or more capacities the prices aren't that great, so I would spend the extra ten or twenty dollars and get the better known brand, I am sure people here know of a few good brands, I personally have an 8 gig lexar pro and a 16 gig Ultra II sandisk

Dane    177

tbh in terms of speed I think any class 4 SHOULD be fine... but in terms of brand I would try to stick with more well known ones just in case... even though both may work for you, a class 4 sandisk or what have you may be more reliable than a class 4 duracell ... and since we are not talking about huge 32 gig or more capacities the prices aren't that great, so I would spend the extra ten or twenty dollars and get the better known brand, I am sure people here know of a few good brands, I personally have an 8 gig lexar pro and a 16 gig Ultra II sandisk

The 8 gig I want is a sandisk.

remus_lupin    10

The 8 gig I want is a sandisk.

and it's only 18 bucks? Can you send a link, I would def pick it up at that price, assuming you don't want to do high speed shooting!

Argote    73

OK, so it matters when your camera's buffer is full, the camera has internal memory that it uses temporarily so you can still do burst shots. The difference would be when transfering or after you fill your buffer (I guess that should be after like 10 RAW frames on the D3100).

I have a SanDIsk Ultra II on my P&S camera, it's 2GB though, I'd say it's good. My DSLR uses CF.

Dane    177

and it's only 18 bucks? Can you send a link, I would def pick it up at that price, assuming you don't want to do high speed shooting!

The 8 gig I found at my local walmart for 18.

Dane    177

So I figured out why the Sandisk 8 gig is only $18. It's class 2.

Blah, so I guess I'll be getting the $20 4 gig ultra. I would buy the one 16 gig off of amazon but I am tired of buying stuff off amazon, PLUS, i dont have anything else i'd want on amazon to get it to ship together to get free shipping.