Definitive Best Antivirus 2011

Definitive Best Antivirus 2011  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice? (see Continued, below)

• Agnitum AV/Outpost
    • Alwil Avast!
    • Arcabit ArcaVir
    • AVG
    • Avira Antivir
    • Beijing Rising AV/Internet Security/PC Doctor
    • Bullguard AV/Internet Security
    • CheckPoint ZoneAlarm/AV/Internet Securit
    • ClamWin
    • Computer Associates
    • Comodo AV/Internet Security
    • Dr. Web (Dialogue Science) AV
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Online Armour
    • ESET NOD32/Smart Security
    • F-Secure
    • Frisk F-PROT
    • G Data AV/Interet Security
    • Hauri ViRobot
    • Kaspersky AV/Internet Security
    • ** Not on this list, see below **
  2. 2. Your choice? (continued)

• McAfee
    • Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials
    • MWTI eScan
    • Norman AV/Security Suite
    • Panda AV/Internet Security
    • Softwin BitDefender
    • Sophos
    • SUPERAntiSpyware
    • Symantec/PC Tools/Norton
    • Trend Micro
    • VirusBlokAda VBA32
    • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    • Other (please specify)
    • ** Not on this list, see above **

Question

Anti-virus products even with heuristics, etc will still only catch ~60% of the new malware out there. Plus i still don`t get all this love for MSE and Nod32. When iv`e tested them they do seem to have let an awful lot through...

Still it`s becoming increasingly harder to get infected if you know a bit and don`t just click anything, normally it`s a case of pebkac :rolleyes:

With Windows 7 and Vista, I hardly find it necessary to pay for an AV. I've been using Avast for a year now and it does the job really well.

I use Avast at the moment because it's fast and it works without issue.

Avira had problems with false positives and it would popup nagging me to upgrade every time it updated.

MSE worked fine, but it slowed some things quite a bit. For example, scrolling through a folder with a lot of files would lag.

So the top 3 are currently:

1. Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials (39 votes [46.99%] Well, at least they are leading the bottom section. :huh:

2. ** Not on this list, see below ** (37 votes [44.58%] :blink:

3. ** Not on this list, see above ** (28 votes [33.73%] :o

There must be a better way to do a poll. I guess the vote counts are fine for the actual products, but the percentages are totally meaningless.

I use Avast at the moment because it's fast and it works without issue.

Avira had problems with false positives and it would popup nagging me to upgrade every time it updated.

MSE worked fine, but it slowed some things quite a bit. For example, scrolling through a folder with a lot of files would lag.

This. I recently tried MSE to see if the problem went away. It has not.

I find it a bit astounding to see people recommend MSE on the basis of minimal performance impact when things like this still exist.

MSE. It's nice and quiet in my tray, and seems to do the job okay. My laptop came with McAfee, but that was annoying (especially when it could no longer detect that I was subscribed, despite well withing the 15 months).

Obviously, the best anti-virus is probably yourself.

So the top 3 are currently:

1. Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials (39 votes [46.99%] Well, at least they are leading the bottom section. :huh:

2. ** Not on this list, see below ** (37 votes [44.58%] :blink:

3. ** Not on this list, see above ** (28 votes [33.73%] :o

There must be a better way to do a poll. I guess the vote counts are fine for the actual products, but the percentages are totally meaningless.

Just divide the current % by 50% and you have the actual % :rofl: so MSE/Forefront actually has 26.64% of the vote, Nod32 second with 8.195%, Avast third with 7.375%

I agree it should be easier to do a poll of this sort :| :iiam:

MSE for home use but we use Kaspersky at work. Never had any problem with either. Although a friend did get infected with Windows Antivirus 2010 a few weeks ago, he is using MSE. Of course it was mainly due to his stupidity and click happy finger. :rolleyes:

Other - Linux.

Nothing on the Linux Box and NOD32 on my XP Pro Box!

Oh, and forgot to add...

Regards

Piet Farstrider. :pinch:

My #1 choice would be Microsoft Security Essentials and my #2 would be Symantec 2011. I said a few years ago that I would never have another piece of Symantec software on my system, but I was wrong. 2011 is very good.

If your looking for actually testing of how effective AV is, check out VB100 (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index)

(Not this does not test how much or little resources uses, how easy the user interface is, or released an update that killed computers by killing the wrong files etc)

The AV in upper right tested as better ones, lower left ones to avoid.

RAP-quadrant-Jun-Dec10-600.jpg

This graph is wierd. How could Avira Free be better than the Pro version?

Besides, Bkis BKAV (does anyone actually know that?)'s Home Plus versions is one of the best, while the two other ones are amongst the worst...

Not to mention, I never even heard of most of those AVs ; Coranti, ZeoBit, Check Point, Celentas, Keniu....do they use their own engine or simply take another product's engine?

My vote went to MSE, I've used Avira and Avast and bitdefender before to many false positves MSE sits quietly waiting and then pounces when it needs to and I haven't yet had an FP from it yet,

but in saying that It"s not the best in winXP (just aswell I have win7 x64)

Hello,

I can think of a couple of reasons off the top of my head:

1. Different default settings.
  2. Different signature sets.

You might want to contact either Virus Bulletin or Avira, though, for a definitive answer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

This graph is wierd. How could Avira Free be better than the Pro version?

Besides, Bkis BKAV (does anyone actually know that?)'s Home Plus versions is one of the best, while the two other ones are amongst the worst...

Not to mention, I never even heard of most of those AVs ; Coranti, ZeoBit, Check Point, Celentas, Keniu....do they use their own engine or simply take another product's engine?

Another vote goes to MSE. I previously bought KIS 2010, but then the software became really unstable when KIS2011 released. I wouldn't mind KIS, nod32, and Norton if I had to go for the paid subscription route.