Definitive Best Antivirus 2011

Definitive Best Antivirus 2011  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice? (see Continued, below)

• Agnitum AV/Outpost
    • Alwil Avast!
    • Arcabit ArcaVir
    • AVG
    • Avira Antivir
    • Beijing Rising AV/Internet Security/PC Doctor
    • Bullguard AV/Internet Security
    • CheckPoint ZoneAlarm/AV/Internet Securit
    • ClamWin
    • Computer Associates
    • Comodo AV/Internet Security
    • Dr. Web (Dialogue Science) AV
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Online Armour
    • ESET NOD32/Smart Security
    • F-Secure
    • Frisk F-PROT
    • G Data AV/Interet Security
    • Hauri ViRobot
    • Kaspersky AV/Internet Security
    • ** Not on this list, see below **
  2. 2. Your choice? (continued)

• McAfee
    • Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials
    • MWTI eScan
    • Norman AV/Security Suite
    • Panda AV/Internet Security
    • Softwin BitDefender
    • Sophos
    • SUPERAntiSpyware
    • Symantec/PC Tools/Norton
    • Trend Micro
    • VirusBlokAda VBA32
    • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    • Other (please specify)
    • ** Not on this list, see above **

Question

I'm starting to get kind of sick of avast lol, in the past I had installed avast on a lot of peoples computers, and for some reason they seem totally incapable of performing the yearly registration by themselves :rolleyes:, although I updated someone to version 5 the other day (by the way why does there seem to be no way to update to a major version from inside avast? program update will only update you to the latest 4.x) and noticed it looks like you can register from within the program now without needing to go online and open an email so maybe that will help.

Anyway my vote went to MSE once again :) Its the most unobtrusive streamlined a/v app IMO.

Esset/NOD32 for now.

When the subscription ends, then it'll be MS Security Essentials.

Same here. I love NO32 and have subscribed to it for about three years now. It is nearly perfect. But the gap between it and MSSE has become so thin now that I can officially switch to MSSE when my subscription comes out. Version 2 is very good, I am a huge fan.

I'm rather fond of Common Sense Antivirus. It's free, takes up no disk space, very light system footprint and best of all, it's 100% accurate. :whistle:

Edit: okay okay, MSE along with Antimalwarebytes Anti-Malware (free).

still use avast and hate mse due to the fact that it updates through windows update and i will continue to hate it till they change the method (so i probably will never use it)

avast been working fine here got bit annoyed with MSE updates.

I also liked the GUI better in the 1.0 version.. having a black and white anti-virus :x

avast been working fine here got bit annoyed with MSE updates.

+1

I don't like the way MSE definitions show up in Windows Update. I wish they would just get installed automatically without bothering me about them.

Because of that major annoyance, I'm now trying out Comodo Internet Security - free version. Seems solid so far. (Y)

continued from https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/977178-what-antivirus-you-use-i-searching-for-a-good-one/

i like am currently using avast,superanti spyware pro,spybot, malwarebytes(free) n windows defender(default on win7 ultimate).

i personally think mse is good but slows down pc and is slow in scanning.

avira cathes most false viruses (read some where).

should i remove avast and run my pc without any antivirus .i will just keep all other products on my pc.

voted for Alwil Avast Free Antivirus. As a justification to my vote, please read my review on [snipped]. (Amateur)

Sam

Edited by John S.
you're free to post a review here, but don't use Neowin to drive traffic to your site

Just got rid of MSE and installed Avast.. so far it looks great! I love the modern interface and crazy amount of protection. Feels a whole lot better than MSE already.

Avra here, Premium Security suite. Incredible product, great detection rates. Just install, simple config of actions on detection, and thats it. I love it, if not this then Kaspersky Internet Security.

Its really hard to say. Up front, I would say MSE is best among "free" av programs. On the paid route, I would say NOD32. I had used Kaspersky for the last few years but, there is a definite impact on system performance..even with newer machines. I'm testing NOD32 right now and I don't see it impacting my system at all and NOD32 has generally been good in terms of detection and removal. I had also tried Norton since they completely revamped their stuff but, I still causes problems.

I think MSE could use some extra options and flexibility for users when configuring the product. NOD32 definitely could use a revamp on their GUI...especially when dealing with advanced mode and the advanced options tree.

• Like 2

As of a couple days ago I'm using Avast. So far I'm liking it more than MSE. One of my housemates is using Panda and swears by it, but it never worked for me. It actually prevented Windows from starting. :/

right now i'm using Avira, little system resources and good detection...i liked MSE but the fact that it updates through Windows Update and creates a restore point every time...that bites!! then again, simply right clicking and updating every once in a while does the trick, without creating restore points...i don't like the fact that browsing big folders takes a while, MS should work on that! so for now AVIRA!!!!! :D :D