If Macs are so good (according to their users) ...

...is the majority of the world using PCs instead?

This isn't a Mac-bashing thread - I'm genuinely curious.

In forums like these you always find Mac users claiming quite vociferously that their computers are as good, if not better, than PCs.

Are they trying to convince others, or are they trying to convince themselves?

If they are right then why aren't we all dumping our PCs and switching to Macs?

more software available for windows.

i think windows networking is far more advanced than osx networking. that would explain why it is more commonly used in the IT world. and if you want custom software written for your company i gurantee it's going to cost a whole lot more than to get it done for the pc.

i think windows networking is far more advanced than osx networking. that would explain why it is more commonly used in the IT world.

Eh? :huh:

Have you ever tried MacOS X? It can connect to loads of different types of network very easily.

- Samba shares

- NFS shares

- AFP shares

It can also very easily be put on a Directory type network inc. Microsoft's Active Directory & most LDAP v2 & v3 networks.

Yep, the price does not equal the performance one should get. And then upgrading means buying a whole new Mac.

PC is fairly reasonable, and can deliver outstanding performance. You don't need to buy a new one most of the time to increase performance.

Mac OS X is in not better then Windows XP and Windows XP isn't better then Mac OS X.... they're just different.

Both have their good and weak points, though both are very mature and stable operating systems.

Mac's don't suck, I used them... it's not my cup of tea, but it's definitly not bad. I prefer Windows just because I'm very used to it working with it.

So why are there less macs used then Windows pc's?

That's not so hard to explain.

First of all Macs are expensive, not everyone is willing to pay extra for a nice design when they can get a similare performing (or most of the time even better performing) Windows pc.

Second, the software support is better for Windows. Where you can get a handfull of programs for a certain task on a Mac you can get a truckload of software for Windows..... you have a broader choice in both hardware and software. Which makes a pc easier to customize to your preference.

And how sad it might be (for some)..... warez. It is so easy to get 'free' software for windows. You can copy it from a neighbour, a friend or a relative.

I think that might be a big reason for people to choose a windows pc, it's so easy to get the software you need in a non-legal way. For a Mac it is harder to get software (how many of you're neighbours, relatives or friends got a Mac??) .... even in a legal way. I live near Eindhoven (big city in the Netherlands) and you can get any piece of software for Windows you like over there.... though try shopping for Mac software, you got to know the spots, because virtually no shops sell Mac software.

Fact of the matter is, the PC is way more compatible with a helluva lot more peripherals, software, games, hell, everything. Also, the PC can be built for cheaper as well as built to run faster if you are a resource-aholic. I think one of the main things about Macs, from what the Apple ads state, Mac users say the Mac is easier to use than the PC. I really don't for a minute believe that, seriously, how dumb do you have to be to not understand Windows? So, those commericals really don't do it for me.

However, I do believe that the commericals target a lot of those people out there that have no clue about computers, and people believe they are simple solutions. Apple goes for the style points too, making the PC's either really compact, hence the CD-ROM, HD, and everything built into the bottom of the monitor, or the stylish iBooks.

Personally, the only item I find that Apple has a real good grasp on is the iPod, I want one bad, big storage, great interface, a real winner.

Yep, the price does not equal the performance one should get. And then upgrading means buying a whole new Mac.

PC is fairly reasonable, and can deliver outstanding performance. You don't need to buy a new one most of the time to increase performance.

im going to cane your ass again on this one dude :) Upgrading you mac is easy. has been since the mac that come with PCI slots come out. My mac has more generic pc parts in it that from the inners it looks like a PC.

Hard Drive - segate 20gb - got from a pc shop

USB Card - belkin usb card - got from software warehouse

FIrewire card - some generic make - got from pc world

USB mouse w/2button/scroll wheel - got from CEX

4x4x16 Yamaha scsi-2 burner - got that from software warehouse too

Also all the button work striaght away in Mac Os X including the Scroll Wheel. Bear in mind this stuff is inside a mac that was released about 1994. Now what were you saying about upgrading? Also you can use pc AGP gfx cards in your mac if you can find the bios for it.

Point of fact. Macs ARE easy to upgrade.

One thing though is the motherboard. your cannot upgrade this :( AND ONLY THIS but if you know what rock to look under you can get a second hand one ;)

Mac OS X networking is a bbreaze. conecting to a windows network is so easy it takes the fun out of it!

Also, sorry to shoot you windows ppe down here, warez was available to mac's so much longer before the PC world. Naturally it was a but more clandestine back then but hey. also TBH there are so many file sharing programs for the mac now its EZ to get you stuff. although you should get it from a retailer.

Software for software mac's are about equal.

Games for games macs are behind, and a big margin too, behind pc's. thats not to say they dont have a good selection of games. UT, Quake, WC3, starcraft .. etc , i know the pc list is longer so no need to be arses and post it.

I do beleve macs are expensive. im a bit disapointed at this though. you are guaranted to get a well built quality used bits when you buy a mac but ide sacrafice some of this for a cheaper Mac.

Overclocking. yup can do that too, just thought ide get this in befeore ne one says you carnt, as i have overclocked my 300 mhz g3 to a blisteringly fast ... drum role plz 333mhz

Edited by Zerosignull

The things that makes me hang on to my PC is:

- Raw power

- Lower price/more fun for the buck

- More different software/hardware to choose from

- There are many communities(like neowin) for PC users

- You can run GNU/Linux on it

The good things about new Mac's:

- OS X (almost GNU/Linux, and at the same time too)

- Intuitive to use

- Works great with design & video editing applications

- Still got that "wow!" factor

Cyberfrem you should go to a mac shop and try out OS X and see if you like it :D

On the web, ppl talk a lot about this OS and that OS but the final judgement will only come from you after you have experienced it with your own senses.

Please let's not turn this into a Mac-bashing thread! :angry:

Keep your opinions constructive and objective. :yes:

Ok.

Mac less customizable

More OS's support PC

More software for PC's

With a PC you have multiple suppliers (cheaper prices), Mac only Apple.

etc...

- Raw power

lucasvanos:

Mac less customizable

More OS's support PC

erm. plenty of linux distros for PPC dude. Gentoo, YDL , debain has a ppc distro.

please google was put on the internet to help people not sound like. So try using it before posting "Facts".

lucasvanos: read my last message. get some understanding.

Its not a matter of where macs are better anymore, its personal preference now. and also if you want a good computer buy a mac ;)

anyways, a of the reasons why I use a mac:

- OS X is a amazing, by far the best OS ever made. Its fast, stable and well its bulletproof. Its Unix it's gotta be great. And its only gonna get better, for those who have used 'Panther' agree with me

- Macs have a tight integration between hardware and software, one of the pleasures of owning a mac. (Microsoft have to make drivers and windows work with just about every computer brand out there, hence it being so buddy)

- Amazing software, I'm sick of people saying macs have on software, what a joke. There is an amazing amount of software out there. We have everything PC users have plus more. Also we have the added benefit of being able to run windows app via VPC and unix and linux apps via X11 natively!

- Customization, Why would you want to hack up your gorgeus white imac anyways :) And macs have got software customization down pat. And if macs are so bad, why does everybody try to create a mac style desktop, copying great things such as Apple's iApps and Konfabulator widgets. Its Pathetic.....

I could go on and on, Those are just a few reasons why I use macs. I could never ever ever use a PC (I never have owned a PC, I've used nothing but macs) A mac is a computer to me , when I think computer I think mac .......... not PC

- Raw power

lucasvanos:

Mac less customizable

More OS's support PC

To CheeseCow,

-Macs have proven to be faster than PCs, in some things and not all things ...... it goes both ways. I think that point has been said time and time again

-If you compare feature for feature with say an imac to a gateway, you get a better price with the mac.

-I said this in my post above, its not valid

-Have you ever looked into the macworld a little. Take a look at sites like MacNN.com or Macrumors.com, even my site FunMac.com to name a few. This point is just stupid........

-You can run linux on a mac, ever see Mandrake or even The PPC only Yellow Dog Linux? And you can run Linux/unix apps through x11 via your OS X desktop anyways. So why bother running linux.

go mac15

I've been a mac user for over a decade and my mac had to get repaired 2 weeks ago, so i was stuck with my pc ever since, i miss my mac like crazy, since i find my pc f00king slow, boring, crashes too much for me (reformatted only a month ago and havent used the comp ever since i reformatted), even though i take good care of it, my mac worked out of the box

- Raw power

lucasvanos:

Mac less customizable

More OS's support PC

erm. plenty of linux distros for PPC dude. Gentoo, YDL , debain has a ppc distro.

please google was put on the internet to help people not sound like. So try using it before posting "Facts".

lucasvanos: read my last message. get some understanding.

Don't mean to offend anyone, just giving my opinion. :)

Question: Why do mac user's evangalize their platform to others - are they trying to convince themselves?

ON TOPIC (could this be the first one this thread?)

The reason a lot of mac users like to 'spread the good word' is because they're genuinely excited by the platform and (unless they're evil) people like letting others know about things that make them happy/excited/etc in the hope that maybe it will do the same for them. There is something to be said about making other people happy - and if it's as simple as "Take a look at <X> it's better than <W> because of <Y> and <Z> you should check it out because I think it's the greatest thing since pretzels." then why shouldn't they?

It's like if you bought a new car (pick a brand/model) and after driving it for a couple weeks you couldn't imagine going back to anything else because it's just so good (for whatever reasons). Wouldn't you want to tell your friends about it? I know I'd tell all mine and probably even make them test-drive one themselves.

Same with vacations: why you go to Las Vegas, Paris, or wherever and you have the best time of your life - do you tell other people about it because you're trying to convince yourself that you had fun or because you think others should experience it for themselves.

I tell others how great it is to drive Ferraris (though I've only had the pleasure a few times) because I honestly think that any car enthusiest should try one. It's an experience completely unlike driving a riced-up honda, an american muscel car, or even a german performance car.

OS X/Macintosh makes people happy/productive/whatever so much that they want you to know about it because they think it can do the same for you. That (in my non-psychology major opinion) is why many mac users tell other's about how great the platform is.

Eh? :huh:

Have you ever tried MacOS X? It can connect to loads of different types of network very easily.

- Samba shares

- NFS shares

- AFP shares

It can also very easily be put on a Directory type network inc. Microsoft's Active Directory & most LDAP v2 & v3 networks.

That maybe true but at the end of the day the mac's dont have their own Dirrctory service which means they're relying on other systems kind of selling themselves out!

nice post the evn show, I think it's true.

But the thing is maybe those mac users don't know all the possibilities on pc (networking etc) or don't need it so they opinion can't be used to compare those platforms.

In my opinion use what you want, if you get your work done as fast as possible, it's good software.

go mac15

I've been a mac user for over a decade and my mac had to get repaired 2 weeks ago, so i was stuck with my pc ever since, i miss my mac like crazy, since i find my pc f00king slow, boring, crashes too much for me (reformatted only a month ago and havent used the comp ever since i reformatted), even though i take good care of it, my mac worked out of the box

Ive never had a Mac, I do want to add one to my fleet some day though, and ile gather my opinions of macs then, and not from the fact that I only own PC`s and most PC owners slag off macs (many of which i bet have never owned 1).

From your post though, i am guessing that your PC is pants and out of date (hardware wise at least), and your mac is nice and up to date, the always crashing, being generaly unstable etc is no longer an issue with a well built up to date PC running windows XP with SP1 and all critical updates.