While I'm a subscriber, frm what I can see I see no big restrictions on this game other than what's on any other free to play game. pay to unlock raids, and limited inventory and such and other basic limitations. You can still enjoy the game and group with people and do PvP and basic group dungeons.

OMG you don't get the full game for FREE!!!! OMG GAME SUCKS!!!''sorry but there's a very big very enjoyable game available in there for free. if you want the full thing, then subscribe. of course you get more and better if you subscribe. but it in no way makes the free stuff less enjoyable.

Looks like the F2P scheme won't be enough to stall the collapse of this game. Expect it to be handed off to some off-brand developers early next year.

Collapse? they've been steady at over a million for well over half a year now. after the first people dropped off after the first 6 months, they've been pretty steady, and the F2P has brought back quite a few people in addition to the steady million they have.

Collapse? they've been steady at over a million for well over half a year now. after the first people dropped off after the first 6 months, they've been pretty steady, and the F2P has brought back quite a few people in addition to the steady million they have.

No, dropped below million quite a while ago.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726506/swtor-subscriptions-are-below-1-million

I can smell BDF quite a ways away so I'll leave you to your illusions from here on out.

That just says it dropped below a million, which means it could and probably still is above 900k, and they have been gaining members again the last few months so they could be above a million again now.

then again, the difference between me and you is that you simply hate the game because it's not Kotor or somethign and dont' play it, I like it and actually play it and see the amount of players that are there.

I think their biggest error was splitting the game up into that many servers to start with, had they had the amount of servers they have now, or maybe just a few more since they're starting to hit full now, I think they'd have kept a lot more players.

Played it last night and I really wasn't impressed. After playing traditional RPGs like The Witcher 2 it just didn't feel right, like I was playing a budget game from years ago. The trailers make the story elements look really good but the tedious gameplay just meant it wasn't worth the effort, even though it's free.

OMG you don't get the full game for FREE!!!! OMG GAME SUCKS!!!''sorry but there's a very big very enjoyable game available in there for free. if you want the full thing, then subscribe. of course you get more and better if you subscribe. but it in no way makes the free stuff less enjoyable.

Sure you can do the story, but that's basically it.

Here's the limitations. I'm not including common ones like character, race, and inventory limit.

No bank.

One tradeskill.

Higher respec costs. Wtf?

No raids.

5 Warzones per week.

Only full rewards from 3 Flashpoints per week.

Three space missions per week.

No emergency fleet pass.

Longer quick travel cool down.

Later level for mounts. Wtf?

Can only revive if you die 5 times in the zone at a med center. Wtf?

Increased vendor prices. Wtf?

Takes longer to gain exp. Wtf?

No rest exp.

Takes longer to gain valor levels.

GUI quickslot limitations. GUI limitations? Seriously?

I don't know about you, but with such severe limitations. The game is pretty much unenjoyable as a F2P.

Let's compare that to EQ2's free to play. Again I'm not including the common ones to the F2P model.

Can't get the full specialization points.

Adept spell tier.

That's about it. EQ2 pretty much lets you play and enjoy the entire game. They don't gimp you on stuff costing more, exp gain taking longer, mount levels, number of dungeons and raids you can do, etc. I've never seen a F2P model (well maybe except the Asian ones) that limit and punish you in so many ways.

• Like 1

Here's the limitations. I'm not including common ones like character, race, and inventory limit.

No bank.

One tradeskill.

No raids.

5 Warzones per week.

No emergency fleet pass.

No rest exp.

I don't know about you, but with such severe limitations. The game is pretty much unenjoyable as a F2P.

Let's compare that to EQ2's free to play. Again I'm not including the common ones to the F2P model.

Adept spell tier.

That's about it. EQ2 pretty much lets you play and enjoy the entire game. They don't gimp you on stuff costing more, exp gain taking longer, mount levels, number of dungeons and raids you can do, etc. I've never seen a F2P model (well maybe except the Asian ones) that limit and punish you in so many ways.

Actually, the respec cost is the same, it was lowered for subscribers.

5 war zones, yeah? Want more hey pay for it, you get 5 of then.

Want raids, yeah pay for them again. Fairly standard stuff for mixed f2p and p2p games, and less face it, it beats the living crap put of any pure f2p game

And no prices where increased, again they where reduced for subs, so it's just as playable for f2p as it used to be for p2p, and stuff is always ridiculously expensive in f2p games to make people pay.

Xp is again, same as it used to be for subscribers, and again a standard for f2p games, pay for faster experience.

As for GUI limits, actually it's also pretty common in f2p games, in addition, f2p p,ayers have the same GUI limits as used to be before f2p, they simply added more quick bars for subscribers.

Sorry not seeing how the game is unplayable or anything.

As for EQ2, having played the game both before and after your comparison fails on several levels, first there's far more differences than that, secondly, it was a dying game, it wasn't even close to half of SWTORs subs, heck I believe they where under 250k when they went free. And it was and old game approaching end of life and it aged terribly.

Xilo's posts
HMARG.jpg

My take on your complaints as a F2Player of several games, having trial experience in this game and my current character is a Sith Pureblood/Assassin:

• race --- Standard stuff, Sith Purebloods are the Master Race.
  • inventory limit (+ one crewskills) --- Standard stuff, it doesn't make sense to have several crewskills when you have an inventory limit and your companion can't even remote sell the stuff.
  • No bank --- Standard stuff.
  • Higher respec costs. Wtf? --- Higher... because the subscribers actually don't pay anything. F2Players do. Still standard stuff.
  • No raids. --- I don't know what those are, but I agree with you just for the greed of it.
  • 5 Warzones per week. --- I don't like the group PVP thing.
  • Only full rewards from 3 Flashpoints per week. --- Agreed.
  • Three space missions per week. --- Agreed.
  • No emergency fleet pass. --- I don't need it.
  • Longer quick travel cool down. --- I don't need it.
  • Later level for mounts. --- Assassins don't mount. They sneak around.
  • Can only revive if you die 5 times in the zone at a med center. --- Not at a med center, but in the field. And that's more than you get in other games.
  • Increased vendor prices. --- Standard stuff, even in the real world.
  • character (+ Takes longer to gain exp) --- Standard stuff, and if you take longer to level, it would made no sense to parallelize several characters.
  • No rest exp. --- I never saw this in any game I had played, subscribers should consider themselves fortunate.
  • Takes longer to gain valor levels. --- Standard stuff.
  • GUI quickslot limitations. --- As an Assassin, I don't need more than 2 quickbars.

Currency cap is standard too. The only thing that ****es me off are the commendation and gear caps.

In the end, if you don't play a lot, you don't need to subscribe.

• 2 months later...

So is anyone else still playing this? I recently came back as a full subscriber and I'm loving the new content.

Guild Wars 2 got stale on me pretty quick.

P.S.

I'm on the The Ebon Hawk server, Empire side, running with my guild: The Wolf Pack.

Yeah im playing as a full sub but I doubt ill keep payin when my time is up.

Playing both republic (lvl 50 Smuggler/Gunslinger) and a lvl 20ish Bounty Hunter/Powertech.

No clue the name of the server, but its the PVE asia pacific one. No Guild to speak of :)

The new content specially on Illum I like, but to me once you hit 50, there is no real content that drives you to keep going. Its just do dailies and flashpoints for gear.

I'm still playing (Jedi Covenant - Roving Guns - Imperial).

I left the game a couple months before F2P launched (my guild fell apart and we were still waiting on content). I just came back about a month ago and have been having a lot of fun.

I really like a lot of the new customization items that they've made available through the market. And it's easy enough to get that stuff without paying real money, as well.

I've had a chance to run the new operation (Terror From Beyond) and I have to say I like where Bioware is going with encounter design. The Operator IX and The Terror From Beyond fights are especially good.

The new World Event has been awesome. The first few days, my server had 10 instances of Ilum up and it's been at least 5 every day since (ranges up to 7-8).

And the new reputation system is actually very well designed. Legacy wide (!!!) means I don't have to grind it on every character and a cap on rep per week means that even casual players can keep up with the rewards available at each tier. And making the rep tokens items means you can go all out in 1 week and stockpile rep tokens to turn in in the following weeks without having to keep doing all the dailies week after week (I have about 20 green, 10ish blue, and 4 purple rep tokens saved already spread across 4 different characters).

I downloaded it again once it went F2P, and played for a day on my old lvl 50 BH, but got bored again and un-installed. I really wanted to like this game, especially after playing beta and pre-ordering, but once you get 50 the game gets dull.

No bank.

One tradeskill.

No raids.

5 Warzones per week.

No emergency fleet pass.

No rest exp.

Adept spell tier.

My thoughts exactly, SWTOR is basically the worst F2P model ever implemented. Not even worth the 20GB+ download size.

My thoughts exactly, SWTOR is basically the worst F2P model ever implemented. Not even worth the 20GB+ download size.

Exactly this, it seems that when you reach the level cap you must subscribeto have something to do, the worst F2P model I've ever seen. And think that it was worse at the F2P launch, there were more restrictions than those.

as a free player there's more than enough to do, far more than in the free version of say WoW.. oh wait... all those limitations are pretty common. and if you play so much you reach level cap and run out of the daily allowance of raids and what not. well then you pretty much play enough that the game is worth the pitiful monthly sum.

Yeah the game is playable as f2p but not as enjoyable, being reminded every time you gain experience that you are gaining it at a slower rate and being limited in pvp and space missions just annoys the shiz outta me. But hey its better than nothing with the few toons I had and can still access easy enough to swap around them to get my sw fix when needed.

I don't think any of these f2p models got it right though, I think the GW2 model is the most effective. TsW is pretty good with theirs as well, in the sense that with TsW or GW2 I dont feel my experience is being hamstrung or forced into paying

Yeah the game is playable as f2p but not as enjoyable, being reminded every time you gain experience that you are gaining it at a slower rate and being limited in pvp and space missions just annoys the shiz outta me. But hey its better than nothing with the few toons I had and can still access easy enough to swap around them to get my sw fix when needed.

I don't think any of these f2p models got it right though, I think the GW2 model is the most effective. TsW is pretty good with theirs as well, in the sense that with TsW or GW2 I dont feel my experience is being hamstrung or forced into paying

Actually, you're gainign XP at the same rate everyone did before F2P....

Actually, you're gainign XP at the same rate everyone did before F2P....

Hrmm I disagree with that, having levelled 2.5 toons to 50 in the before f2p days I've noticed since f2p you seem to have to do all the missions and bonus missions on a planet before you are levelled enough to move on. But anyway even if I accept your premise that its just a perception issue being reminded about it ad nausem still isnt the right approach imo.

• 1 month later...