Azusa

No, it's piracy.

You do know the word piracy means act under taken by pirates and that includes Bootlegging, fraud, and theft.

lalalawawawa

Case by case basis. Crap article.

I can name one example right now that 60 euros of the money that you'll pay will directly go to the developer.

the better twin

Yup, already did all that and then some in school, thanks ;) Then again, what do I know...only have been in law enforcement for near 20 years ;)

I'm worried that someone who has worked in law enforcement for nearly 20 years doesnt actually know the law :unsure:

HyBry

And you should learn what umbrella terms are.

yes i should

Hedon
You should learn how life works.

Tell us all mighty one, please. We wait with open arms for your canter and knowledge.

Does it affect sales? Yes.

And the truth shall set you free. See, that wasn't so hard ;)

Would I spend 40 mil and give it out for free? maybe.

And this my friends is what I call the most extreme example of charity, or 100% pure rubbish. As much as I love gaming and charities, I would never put myself in debt and put my company out of business and take the food off of my families table because I felt so giving and bold to give away $40 million in a game only to not pay my staff and bills.

But then again I would not drive my custumers to pirate the game to get more value than when they buy it.

If you don't see the value in it, you don't buy it...and you don't steal it.

Sure, few people who pirated the game would have bought it, but majority would not have.

Majority could be 51%. That is a sizable amount of lost sales. That is stealing.

On other hand, more people play your game, more recognised the name becomes which in turn yields more sales. So not all is grim and bad in piracy.

Yes, it is. So why should I keep buying all the games I have if I can just pirate them? Are you saying that if I start pirating right now that those companies are not losing sales? I no longer need to buy games now!

for many of us who play pc games, paying for the game is a choice. it's something we want to do. it's not necessarily something we have to do. we feel games are worth the price, so we pay for them. and many of us simply do not play games we do not feel are worth the price, not because we can't pirate them, but because if they're not worth our time to play, then they're not worth buying.

Exactly.

i could go online right now and pirate every single cod game on pc, but i'm not going to because they're not even worth my time. but if they were a game i wanted to play, i would pay for them.

Exactly x 2

just because you can pirate a game doesn't mean you will. and even in countries like mine where what's called piracy is effectively legal. kinda strange how that works since canada has a higher adoption rate of digital delivery services than the US, despite looming bandwidth caps and overage fees. we still prefer to pay for our games.

Finally someone with a head on their shoulders ;)

I'm worried that someone who has worked in law enforcement for nearly 20 years doesnt actually know the law :unsure:

But I do ;)

WelshBluebird

It's theft.

No it isn't.

They are very different things, with different meanings and different laws covering them.

If you illegally download a game, you CANNOT be arrested for theft. Actually, you cannot be arrested at all as the offence is against the copyright holder, not the state.

Richard Hammond

Yup, already did all that and then some in school, thanks ;) Then again, what do I know...only have been in law enforcement for near 20 years ;)

Youve been in law enforcement for 20 years and you still cant tell the difference between theft and copyright infringement?

Jason S.

I miss the good old days when games were made because the developers loved making games. Now it's all about the money.

[COUGH]Call of Duty[/COUCH]

while i would usually agree w/ a comment like this, realistically, it's just business. gaming is good business. of course it's all about the money. developers arent working long hours each day b/c they just want to create a neat pew-pew video game. they want money so they can pay bills and feed their family too.

if a franchise like COD is doing really well, of course there's going to be repeats and more sequels to keep the masses coming back. i've played every COD and will continue to do so. it's just good business.

Nagisan

You do know the word piracy means act under taken by pirates and that includes Bootlegging, fraud, and theft.

You do know the word piracy in reference to unauthorized copying of software is a term that refers to copyright infringement and not the literal dictionary meaning of piracy, right?

tl;dr - Look up copyright infringement and compare that to theft/stealing.

Hedon
They are very different things

The official definition is different, yes.

Nagisan

And so is the law covering them, which you should know, which is why everyone with a brain considers them two completely different things.

WelshBluebird

There we go then. You admit they are different.

As I said, they are very very different things and so using the word "theft" to describe illegally downloading a game is a bit silly, as it not theft.

This is also shown in law. I repeat what I said - you cannot get arrested for illegally downloading a game. You can get arrested for stealing a game from a store.

Eric

I don't see a problem with the Metacritic metric. The problem I see is that it should be applied all the way up the chain. Every game on that site that has a low yellow or red score should have been accompanied by the termination of one of those budget-pinchers that wrecked the game. Most good reviewers mention why they scored as they did. If there was no problem with the technical delivery of the game then it probably wasn't the developers' fault the game scored poorly.

Hedon

Youve been in law enforcement for 20 years and you still cant tell the difference between theft and copyright infringement?

So you are saying it's legal to pirate games?

Nagisan

No, he's not....he's saying they are different.

Richard Hammond

No im saying they are two COMPLETELY different things, i know copyright infringement is illegal but so are lots of other crimes, would you say murder is on the same level as theft they are both illegal after all?

treemonster

but i'm not agreeing with you +Soldier 95B . pirates aren't going to buy games anyway, so who gives a **** about them? nothing is going to stop them if they want to pirate games. on PC we have total choice in the matter. and many of us choose to pay for things we like because we feel they're worth it.

i know when i still pirated software, i still paid for the best games i downloaded. but i pirated on a try befor eyou buy basis. so had i not pirated those games i likely would not have bought them. in other cases of piracy, i had already bought the games and simply lost the discs, but still had the cd key.

and alien swarm looked like it had a decent budget, and it was given away for free. sure it was a short small game, but it was higher quality than some of these $60 games out today. and completely moddable.

there's plenty of flash games out there for free. many of them are comparable to games sold on mobile device app stores for $5. they often make money back through ad models.

then there's relatively big budget free to play games, that are completely free to download and play on official servers. it's a higely successful model where paying is entirely option, though sometimes heavily encouraged.

what's called piracy online has very little relation to piracy on the high seas.

WelshBluebird

Nope. He is saying that downloading things illegally is not theft, but is classed as copyright infringment. Still illegal, but at least in the UK, you cannot get arrested for it and you can be taken to the civil court (as apposed to criminal court).

treemonster

in some countries it is completely legal to share software and media online. as what's called piracy. others it's no legal but not illegal either.

in america it's a civil action, not a criminal one.

Hedon

No im saying they are two COMPLETELY different things

Now I know we are on the same page, the next question is, why do you think piracy is illegal?

treemonster

Now I know we are on the same page, the next question is, why do you think piracy is illegal?

because america has ridiculous copyright laws?

:p

not entirely true or fair but... if you had read up a bit more on hte history of copyright law in america and elsewhere, you might not obviously be discussing from a point of ignorance itt.

Richard Hammond

Because the law says copyright infringement is illegal because you are infringing on the "rights" of the copyright holder which usually states that they completely control how and where you play/watch/read whatever it is.

Hedon

Because the law says copyright infringement is illegal because you are infringing on the "rights" of the copyright holder which usually states that they completely control how and where you play/watch/read whatever it is.

There is substantially much more to the law than that (it was a semester long class just on copyrights alone in school). Piracy laws were enacted for numerous reasons, one of which is loss of sales.

the better twin

Question for you.

Do you think it is wrong to back up a dvd for personal use? Ie to stop it getting scratched or breaking?

Or better yet, ripping a CD so you can listen to it on an mp3 player?

Both of these are illegal according to Britains antiquated copyright laws.

Doesnt mean you are stealing if you do either of these two things.

WelshBluebird

There is substantially much more to the law than that (it was a semester long class just on copyrights alone in school). Piracy laws were enacted for numerous reasons, one of which is loss of sales.

Judging by how old copyright laws are, I doubt it has anything to do with loss of sales (as most of the laws in force were introduced before anything could really "copy" media).