What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars?

Its this deja bu? I am pretty sure that i saw this news before in Neowin.

Search for "mission mars" shows only a thread about a similar NASA mission, this one is private ;)

^ doesn't look like it

?We prefer the one-way mission as it would drastically reduce costs,? said Dirk Schulze-Makuch, a professor at Washington State University who contributed to the Journal. His plan involves sending supplies to Mars as necessary, but not a return vehicle.

"The astronauts would be re-supplied on a periodic basis from Earth with basic necessities, but otherwise would be expected to become increasingly proficient at harvesting and utilizing resources available on Mars. Eventually the outpost would reach self-sufficiency, and then it could serve as a hub for a greatly expanded colonization program."

done properly with right tools and resources and consistent stream of goods then it'd do-able to live on it just like the moon but if it's a one off with only a bag of whatever you can carry basically that's same as being told to wear warmest clothes you got and walk across siberia during a bad winter.

done properly with right tools and resources and consistent stream of goods then it'd do-able to live on it just like the moon but if it's a one off with only a bag of whatever you can carry basically that's same as being told to wear warmest clothes you got and walk across siberia during a bad winter.

True but the thing with this type of mission its that there is not guarantee that the lifes of these people will be keep. We still dont have the technology to even go to the moon and return.

Its this deja bu? I am pretty sure that i saw this news before in Neowin.

You are indeed correct. That thread was titled "What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars", and appears to have been deleted.

I'll say what I said in that thread : 400 people volunteered out of ~6.4 billion people? That's a disgrace, tbh.

You are indeed correct. That thread was titled "What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars", and appears to have been deleted.

I'll say what I said in that thread : 400 people volunteered out of ~6.4 billion people? That's a disgrace, tbh.

6.4 billion did not _read_ it. 6.4 billion does not know of this.

That makes what you said pretty silly :p

Obviously if everyone on the planet would be offered a one-way trip to mars free of charge then a lot more would volunteer.

However, I think that most people know they have no chance to be chosen for something like this.