Question about a HTC Touch diamond 2 phone

Hello there folks.

I currently own a HTC Touch Diamond 2 phone for the last 1.5 years. It is an OK phone but I do have one or two problems with it.

1-) When I am in the middle of the conversation my cheek touches the screen a lot and touches many different buttons. One in particular is that somehow my cheek touches the settings tab and than in the next menu touches the airplane mode tab which takes my phone to the airplane mode and turns off the conversation. This has happened to me at least 20-30 times and one of these days I will probably throw it away because of anger. I know not touching the screen while talking is a solution but isnt there any other way to lock the screen totally while having a conversation? Some kind of a screen lock?

2-) I used to own a Nokia N95 phone before and everytime I wanted to start an application that needed an internet connection, the phone would always ask me weather I wanted to sign in to internet or not and than give me my options of internet connections. However in this phone everytime I start an application that needs internet connection, the connection starts without any prompt, and I do not want that. The reason I dont want that is because since its touch screen is very sensitive sometimes I start an application without knowing it and than I see that that application also started the data connection and connected to internet via 3D which drains my battery faster...

I am new to these forums and any advice is neccesary. Thank you.