Core i5-2300/2400 or Phenom 965 BE?

I'm getting myself a little something for my birthday, and instead of choosing a P2770HD, I decided to get myself new CPU/MB/RAM and give my E83 to my dad, who still runs a Pentium D.

So the main question is, should I go with Intel or AMD?

I haven't found a comparison chart between those two, so I decided to ask you guys.

I'm getting myself a little something for my birthday, and instead of choosing a P2770HD, I decided to get myself new CPU/MB/RAM and give my E83 to my dad, who still runs a Pentium D.

So the main question is, should I go with Intel or AMD?

I haven't found a comparison chart between those two, so I decided to ask you guys.

Do you want SLI or Crossfire... boards that are desgined for ether ATI or Nvidia will determain wether you should go Intel/amd

I currently have a single GTX460, and it'll probably stay that way, so it doesn't matter, I think?

well go with a Intel Mainboard then with the i5-2400. exspecialy if you plan to add another 460GTX down the road.

AMD CPU and 98% of mainboards designed for AMD CPU will be Crossfire enbled and not SLI...

personlly I have a AMD Phenon ii 965 BE (4Core 3.4GHZ) with a Asus MVP-Deluxe Mainboard that support 4x 16xPCI-E v2 for 4-way Crossfire. So I stuck with ATI Radeaon 2x5770 for this main reason even though I would have liked 2x460 GTX instead.

I hopping my next custom build will be a Intel + Nvidia SLI setup.. but time well tell...

but since u asked I can personlly give you this much Tech info on the AMD cpu u asked about

post-342470-0-20306800-1295243901.jpg

if you do just a single card u can do an AMD cpu and NVIDIA video card just fine, i do, no probs lol

so dont think you "HAVE" to, for doubling up yeah it matters for SLI or CROSSFIRE, but not single card

Personally I would go with i5. They seem to offer more performance especially in games.

Read this review at LegitReviews. It has comparison of Sandy Bridge and Phenom II 975 BE, which is slightly better then 965 of course. You will see that the SB beats it in pretty much all the tests done, so that should give you a good indication.

• Like 1

Personally I would go with i5. They seem to offer more performance especially in games.

Read this review at LegitReviews. It has comparison of Sandy Bridge and Phenom II 975 BE, which is slightly better then 965 of course. You will see that the SB beats it in pretty much all the tests done, so that should give you a good indication.

Thanks for the link to the review HyBry!

I am now pretty much sold for the i5-2400.

Here's whats on the list:

parts.jpg

Thats around $500.

Also, I decided to swap the Asus MB for a Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3, since it'll allow me to expand in the future (2xPCIex instead of one, 4xDIMM instead of two).

as was noted above, since you're with NVIDIA already then it makes sense to go with the Sandy Bridge. otherwise i would always say AMD these days, the price difference is substantial and the performance, while slightly better with Intel, doesn't correspond to the extra money you spend. AMD is just better value.

as was noted above, since you're with NVIDIA already then it makes sense to go with the Sandy Bridge. otherwise i would always say AMD these days, the price difference is substantial and the performance, while slightly better with Intel, doesn't correspond to the extra money you spend. AMD is just better value.

unless the prices on higher end amd cpu's have dropped a lot since the last time i checked, the new core i 2xxx platform is more than a slight difference from the phenom 2 and worth the price premium in terms of price to performance. and ht eperformance difference between sandybridge and phenom 2's is far more than slight.

Also, I decided to swap the Asus MB for a Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3, since it'll allow me to expand in the future (2xPCIex instead of one, 4xDIMM instead of two).

THe way I build pc I have the following MINIMAL standers to go by

QuadCore (3.0GHZ)

8GIG Ram DDR2 800

2xVideo Card.

I will never, never, never build or suggest a pc that dose not follow this

even back in the days when more then 1 video card could be possible I had 2xVoodoo's running

QuadCore (3.0GHZ)

8GIG Ram DDR2 800

2xVideo Card.

even back in the days when more then 1 video card could be possible I had 2xVoodoo's running

That's stupid advice. Everyone uses their computers for different purposes, and not everyone uses their computers like you. Quadcore 3.0GHz is so generic. There are many things that determine how good a processor is... Also not everyone needs 8GB of RAM or 2 video cards.

I dont mean to sound trollish, I'm just outdated. Have we come to that point where AMD CPU's are serious contenders again?

They are good value for the money, but if you are looking for pure performance, Intel is the way to go.

That's stupid advice. Everyone uses their computers for different purposes, and not everyone uses their computers like you. Quadcore 3.0GHz is so generic. There are many things that determine how good a processor is... Also not everyone needs 8GB of RAM or 2 video cards.

nevermind the issues with having multiple gpu's.

QuadCore (3.0GHZ)

8GIG Ram DDR2 800

2xVideo Card.

LOL

8GB DDR2? Really?

Best Advice EVAR!!! :rofl:

If I could spare $15 or so dollars more I'd opt for the i5 2500.

While the value of the Phenoms are quite appealing I personally must say that the performance you're getting out of them especially in 2011 is getting lack luster. You'll be getting a much better experience with Sandy Bridge overall unless you want to wait for Bulldozer in April.

QuadCore (3.0GHZ)

8GIG Ram DDR2 800

2xVideo Card.

What on earth.. This is bad advice.

QuadCore (3.0GHZ)

8GIG Ram DDR2 800

2xVideo Card.

That's only really applicable if you want to play games at ludicrously high resolutions. I have a single 5770 (not even a top of the range card) and a Q6600 and it will play most games at 1080p just fine.

That's only really applicable if you want to play games at ludicrously high resolutions. I have a single 5770 (not even a top of the range card) and a Q6600 and it will play most games at 1080p just fine.

the funny thing is he has 5770cf and plays games on a tv at 720p, and has said in the past he turns down the resolution in games to push the highest settings possible.

If I could spare $15 or so dollars more I'd opt for the i5 2500.

While the value of the Phenoms are quite appealing I personally must say that the performance you're getting out of them especially in 2011 is getting lack luster. You'll be getting a much better experience with Sandy Bridge overall unless you want to wait for Bulldozer in April.

Prices here are quite high.

2300 --> $264

2400 --> $273

2500 --> $290

2500K --> $300

My current choice is the 2400, the price of which on Newegg is $194.

So yeah, my stupid country completely rapes all the prices.

The thing is, if you have a long upgrade cycle, it's probably gonna save you money in the long run if you go AMD. I'm getting sick of Intel raping me with socket changes every couple years.

At least with AMD, you could slowly upgrade processors as new ones are released. With Intel, you're gonna have to replace your current (in perfectly good condition) motherboard and probably RAM sticks as well..

depends on what youre doing w/ the cpu... if youre doing anything "intensive" then you want to choose an Intel. gaming, video encoding, etc.... go for an intel.

yeah, MadDoggyca, it's like you warped to this thread from 2006. your advice is pretty outdated. you dont need to determine the cpu type based solely on CF or SLI. my intel motherboard does both. "quadcore 3GHz" what does that even mean these days? 8GB of DDR2 might have been neat in 2006/2007... :blink:

Prices here are quite high.

2300 --> $264

2400 --> $273

2500 --> $290

2500K --> $300

My current choice is the 2400, the price of which on Newegg is $194.

So yeah, my stupid country completely rapes all the prices.

How much is a 2600K where you live? In the US I believe it's only $324.

The thing is, if you have a long upgrade cycle, it's probably gonna save you money in the long run if you go AMD. I'm getting sick of Intel raping me with socket changes every couple years.

At least with AMD, you could slowly upgrade processors as new ones are released. With Intel, you're gonna have to replace your current (in perfectly good condition) motherboard and probably RAM sticks as well..

i thought about this too, at first. "why are they always changing the socket type!?" after reading an in-depth architecture analysis of intel's Sandy Bridge chips, you'd realize why. new arch means new chipset and new socket.

upgrading is a luxory. for the VAST majority of people, they could do their daily pc tasks on a Pentium 3. a lot of people on this forum are still running "slow" Core 2's. Theyre great chips.

anyways, back on topic. OP - just spend a bit more and get the Intel. or better yet, tell us what you want to do w/ the computer.