Core i5-2300/2400 or Phenom 965 BE?

The thing is, if you have a long upgrade cycle, it's probably gonna save you money in the long run if you go AMD. I'm getting sick of Intel raping me with socket changes every couple years.

At least with AMD, you could slowly upgrade processors as new ones are released. With Intel, you're gonna have to replace your current (in perfectly good condition) motherboard and probably RAM sticks as well..

Bulldozer is going to be on a new socket (AM3+), so buying something AM3 now is a dead end.

I've personally never owned a PC that I could do a straight socket change on, and I've built a few. I don't think it's really worth taking into consideration. Buy the best you can now, and plan on keeping it for a while.

i thought about this too, at first. "why are they always changing the socket type!?" after reading an in-depth architecture analysis of intel's Sandy Bridge chips, you'd realize why. new arch means new chipset and new socket.

Doesn't have to. AMD tries their best to future-proof their sockets to a couple architectures ahead. You would be able to fit the new Bulldozers in to your older AM3 socket. You might not get the full potentials of it, but it's still nice.

Sorry talking out of my arse. It was like that in the early Bulldozer plans. It has since been delayed and plans have changed :p

Thing is, AM2/AM2+ sockets support AM3 processors. Which was wicked at the time.

upgrading is a luxory. for the VAST majority of people, they could do their daily pc tasks on a Pentium 3. a lot of people on this forum are still running "slow" Core 2's. Theyre great chips.

I agree. But wouldn't it be nice if those running P3s could easily plonk a P4 in there to get a bit of a boost? :)

I dont mean to sound trollish, I'm just outdated. Have we come to that point where AMD CPU's are serious contenders again?

They aren't contenders for the highest performance processors, but in the low to mid range they are competitive for the price, and make for good budget gaming builds IMO.

Bulldozer is going to be on a new socket (AM3+), so buying something AM3 now is a dead end.

I've personally never owned a PC that I could do a straight socket change on, and I've built a few. I don't think it's really worth taking into consideration. Buy the best you can now, and plan on keeping it for a while.

If its anything like AM2/AM2+ it will still be backwards compatible though.

How much is a 2600K where you live? In the US I believe it's only $324.

$437

i thought about this too, at first. "why are they always changing the socket type!?" after reading an in-depth architecture analysis of intel's Sandy Bridge chips, you'd realize why. new arch means new chipset and new socket.

upgrading is a luxory. for the VAST majority of people, they could do their daily pc tasks on a Pentium 3. a lot of people on this forum are still running "slow" Core 2's. Theyre great chips.

anyways, back on topic. OP - just spend a bit more and get the Intel. or better yet, tell us what you want to do w/ the computer.

Pretty much everything. Graphic design (HD textures, mutlilayer wallpapers et cetera included), video encoding and editing, gaming.

With the addition of a new case to the mix, I currently stand at around $566.

If its anything like AM2/AM2+ it will still be backwards compatible though.

Maybe, but if you want to upgrade you'll still need a new motherboard and processor.

Pretty much everything. Graphic design (HD textures, mutlilayer wallpapers et cetera included), video encoding and editing, gaming.

With the addition of a new case to the mix, I currently stand at around $566.

Intels are much faster at video encoding, otherwise it's a wash.

the funny thing is he has 5770cf and plays games on a tv at 720p, and has said in the past he turns down the resolution in games to push the highest settings possible.

I do run on a tv that is only 720p . and I have 5770 CFx3-way...

I did not say I turn down the Res. I said you should alwas keep your Rez to native screen resultion to what ever happens to be the native for the display your useing.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7461/img0501o.jpg

and smerk all you want but in reality 8 GIG of memory should be the minual no matter what. Cuz when you get the Error. Windows has ran out of physical Memory. Please close application and restart.. that sucks..

and I personlly seen it a few times on my rig alrdy.

but the specs I suggest are minimal ...Today if I built a pc I go with the follow

MainBoard with 4xPCI-E 16x minimal

(6 Core) amd/intel

12/16 DD3 1333+

2x6770CF / 2xSLI 560

1200+ WAtt

posisble look into getting a PCI-Ex4/8/16 SSD 256GIG minimal

I ajust for higer parts but some were along that ball park is what I be building to day if I had to. .As it stands my Phenon ii 695 3.4 Quad is looking out dated and will replace it with a 6x 1100T or posisble wait a bit for a x6 4.0ghz stock.. when ever that my be

I completely forgot they don't include the stock Intel cooler, so I've modified the setup a little bit:

newprice.jpg

Added the TT Contac 29 cooler (1156)

Added 2x Lian Li 120mm fans

Are you 100% sure there is no HSF?

It says it is Box version which would indicate retail version and there is Intel cooler in the box there. AFAIK only the OEM versions come without one.

Are you 100% sure there is no HSF?

It says it is Box version which would indicate retail version and there is Intel cooler in the box there. AFAIK only the OEM versions come without one.

Just called the store, they said that the CPU comes with the stock HSF.

I was sure they're not including it, because it wasn't included when I bought my E83.

So do you reckon I should stick with the stock HSF? That'd lower the total sum by a little bit.

Just called the store, they said that the CPU comes with the stock HSF.

I was sure they're not including it, because it wasn't included when I bought my E83.

So do you reckon I should stick with the stock HSF? That'd lower the total sum by a little bit.

You must have bought an OEM one. They are a bit cheaper but that is because they come without cooler and warranty.

stock HSF is a decent one and IMO there are two valid reasons to chose aftermarket cooler and paste:

1. you plan to overclock you CPU by more then just a little bit (you would need a K-series CPU for that)

2. you want something that makes as little noise as possible.

In any case, the CPU cooler can be changed at a later date so you will be better of without it for now. Maybe you can get a 2500 instead this way :)

You must have bought an OEM one. They are a bit cheaper but that is because they come without cooler and warranty.

stock HSF is a decent one and IMO there are two valid reasons to chose aftermarket cooler and paste:

1. you plan to overclock you CPU by more then just a little bit (you would need a K-series CPU for that)

2. you want something that makes as little noise as possible.

In any case, the CPU cooler can be changed at a later date so you will be better of without it for now. Maybe you can get a 2500 instead this way :)

Hmm, I changed the setup a little bit:

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6MB Quad Core LGA1155 Box BX80623I52500K

Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3 Intel H67 Chipset DDR3 GPH67UD3/951000

G.Skill DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (x2 = 8GB)

Compucase 66RC-NPS Black 12cm No PSU

Total: 2358ILS ~= $666

Maybe, but if you want to upgrade you'll still need a new motherboard and processor.

Errr... if it turns out that a lot of motherboards are AM3+ compatible like the AM2+ boards, you won't need to buy a new motherboard, you'd at most need a BIOS update to support the new processors...

Errr... if it turns out that a lot of motherboards are AM3+ compatible like the AM2+ boards, you won't need to buy a new motherboard, you'd at most need a BIOS update to support the new processors...

Well, yes, but I highly doubt that will be the case, and I even more highly doubt it will be the case if he wants to upgrade two generations from now.

Hmm, I changed the setup a little bit:

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6MB Quad Core LGA1155 Box BX80623I52500K

Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3 Intel H67 Chipset DDR3 GPH67UD3/951000

G.Skill DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (x2 = 8GB)

Compucase 66RC-NPS Black 12cm No PSU

Total: 2358ILS ~= $666

Looks good.

There have been some conflicting information about overclocking the CPU on h67 chipset, but last I understood is that you can overclock the CPU, but you can not overclock RAM past 1333Mhz (so you good there). Confusion what that you can not overclock Intel branded motherboards, but GigaByte should be OK. (Check the motherboard manual on their site)

Do get the 8GB of RAM (cheaper if you have to). Games will use the RAM believe me. Even silly Civ5 uses more than 3 sometimes and is making me rethink getting an additional 4.

And HSF, while you can get it later, its really pain in arse since you need to take your motherboard out, there are plenty of great value $40 HSF out there that destroy stock.

most games are 32bit and do not use more than 2gb unless you make them large address aware in windows x64. when a game attempts to use more than 2gb of ram for w/e reason it will crash.

making the game LAA in windows x64 is one way to fix crashing due to the game trying to use more than 2gb, but is only recommended with at least 6gb of ram.

I think 8GB is still overkill at the moment, but if you can afford it, why not.

I agree.

Even if you 4GB now and upgrde later, the upgrade will be a good excuse to open and clean inside the case. Lot of people do not understand how important it is to open the case and blow out the dust at least 1 or 2 times a year. Helps to keep the tempretures down and lets the PC live longer :)

I agree.

Even if you 4GB now and upgrde later, the upgrade will be a good excuse to open and clean inside the case. Lot of people do not understand how important it is to open the case and blow out the dust at least 1 or 2 times a year. Helps to keep the tempretures down and lets the PC live longer :)

are you kidding me.. 1/2 times a Year??? more like twice a month should be more like it... atlest thats how oftean I take a can to my system..

I open my case mostly jsut to see the sexy ness in side..lol