Scientists trying to clone, resurrect extinct mammoth

A team of scientists from Japan, Russia and the United States hopes to clone a mammoth, a symbol of Earth?s ice age that ended 12,000 years ago, according to a report in Japan?s Yomiuri Shimbun. The researchers say they hope to produce a baby mammoth within six years.

The scientists say they will extract DNA from a mammoth carcass that has been preserved in a Russian laboratory and insert it into the egg cells of an African elephant in hopes of producing a mammoth embryo.

The team is being led by Akira Iritani, a professor emeritus at Kyoto University in Japan. He has built upon research from Teruhiko Wakayama of Kobe's Riken Center for Developmental Biology, who successfully cloned a mouse from cells that had been frozen for 16 years, to devise a technique to extract egg nuclei without damaging them, according to the Yomiuri report.

The U.S. researchers are in vitro fertilization experts. They, along with Kinki University professor Minoru Miyashita, will be responsible for implanting the mammoth embryo into an African elephant, the report said.

more

Great idea! I bet they will feel right at home in the climate of the 21st century...

These animals went instinct for a reason and personally I think it's a really bad idea to reintroduce species that have been long gone for thousands of years. In this case it also doesn't seem to serve a real purpose beyond doing so for the sake of doing so.

I heard about when they tried this with dinosaurs, the lawyer got eaten on the crapper by a T-Rex.

Ok, then what? is there a need for mammoths? food perhaps?

If they can do it with animals that are already extinct, this will give merit to setting up a database of dna to preserve all creatures we have today.

how about go clone some species that are about to go extinct... not extincted mammoth.

That will be a good idea but mammoths will be a busine$$ success than anything else.

how about go clone some species that are about to go extinct... not extincted mammoth.

Actually, cloning species in danger of extinction wouldn't help them I think : if you clone you don't create genetic diversity, and thus you loose the advantage of sexual reproduction and weaken the species.

Great idea! I bet they will feel right at home in the climate of the 21st century...

These animals went instinct for a reason and personally I think it's a really bad idea to reintroduce species that have been long gone for thousands of years. In this case it also doesn't seem to serve a real purpose beyond doing so for the sake of doing so.

Science is all about exploration and pushing boundaries. We wouldn't have half the technology or knowledge that we have today if scientists hadn't "done things for the sake of doing so."

That said.. I don't like how the lives of these animals are being messed with <_<

From the second that man impacted this planet we have been the major cause of animals, plants etc disappearing from this incredible place that we share! Without diversity we lose everything! Dodo meets man: Discovered 1598, extinct by 1681. Less than a 100 years to wipe out a species that took millions of years to evolve! Poor little blighter's didn't deserve that sort of treatment I am sure!

To learn and perhaps restore or save other animals I think that this sort of research is incredible!