Scientists trying to clone, resurrect extinct mammoth

Great idea! I bet they will feel right at home in the climate of the 21st century...

These animals went instinct for a reason and personally I think it's a really bad idea to reintroduce species that have been long gone for thousands of years. In this case it also doesn't seem to serve a real purpose beyond doing so for the sake of doing so.

dude what? :rolleyes:

we're talking one mammoth that would be kept in some man-made environment for its whole life. no where in the article does it say they want to make 10mil of them and spread them throughout the planet :rolleyes:

people love drama and speculation...

honestly, i think this is a really neat idea.

dude what? :rolleyes:

we're talking one mammoth that would be kept in some man-made environment for its whole life. no where in the article does it say they want to make 10mil of them and spread them throughout the planet :rolleyes:

people love drama and speculation...

honestly, i think this is a really neat idea.

That's true, i can't really imagine a mammoth, 5 times bigger than an elefant (in case this is real) with a female mammoth having babies mammoth. They wil have to live in an island or something like that. It will be too much for our planet to handle this.

Why don't they focus on doing this for the many animals that are going extinct now?

Finding existing DNA might be a problem for other species. They do have the DNA for mammoths.

Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

I have another one. What can possibly go wrong?

From the second that man impacted this planet we have been the major cause of animals, plants etc disappearing from this incredible place that we share! Without diversity we lose everything! Dodo meets man: Discovered 1598, extinct by 1681. Less than a 100 years to wipe out a species that took millions of years to evolve! Poor little blighter's didn't deserve that sort of treatment I am sure!

To learn and perhaps restore or save other animals I think that this sort of research is incredible!

We're talking about a species that died because of global temperature changes, not because of us. Totally different story.