Geohot threatens to buy a Windows phone - Microsoft supports him

SpeedyTheSnail

I like the direction Microsoft is going!! I may just sell my mac now and buy a PC. In matter of fact, I'm going to take pictures and post it on eBay now! [no sarcasm either, first I gotta look at what I want to buy though :blush: ]

jakem1

Yes. (Patience)

:laugh: Yes, perhaps.

its been like 3 months since they released it.

registry hacks are up already at xda.

WP7 has already been ported to HD2, now with even live/zune services working.

That's all fine but has Microsoft actually announced that they will support a homebrew community? I haven't seen anything to suggest that they will or that their policy on sideloading has changed. That's why I was asking if I missed something. I'm just surprised that everyone is praising Microsoft when they don't appear to have actually done anything.

neo158

its been like 3 months since they released it.

registry hacks are up already at xda.

WP7 has already been ported to HD2, now with even live/zune services working.

The only problem with that is that the IMEI Number is transmitted to the Live Servers when the Services are activated, so, at some point Microsoft may choose to block the HD2 IMEI Numbers or prevent them from recieving updates. At the moment all they are doing is refusing to provide support for WP7 when running on the HD2.

FiB3R

Smart move by MS. Keep your enemy's closer, and all that. Will he sellout for the price of a new phone?

jakem1

In answer to my question above, WMPoweruser are reporting that MS will allow unsupported homebrew development:

We have finally had some feedback from the ChevronWP7 team?s meeting (apparently two full-day meet-ups) with Microsoft, and it is mostly good news.

While most of the discussion is under NDA, they final outcome of the discussions was that Microsoft would support an official route for homebrew applications.

They write:

To fill this short-term gap, we?re collaborating with Microsoft on an interim solution that will continue to support homebrew developments after the update. We will share details of this when it has been finalized.

They wrote that the final solution would also prioritize the protection of intellectual property and platform security, but that they ultimately wanted to work towards the ?long-term solutions ..of broadening access to the platform?.

Of note however for Windows Phone 7 fans i that they write they were ?genuinely excited by many of the forward-looking presentations?, which we hopes means good things are on the way for future Windows Phone 7 updates.

WMPoweruser

That certainly sounds like good news that will satisfy a lot of users :)