Which program do you use for coding?

Question

I was thinking about trying to switch out Dreamweaver with something else that is a lot more coding related. Even though in CS5 there are a lot of features in DW it still doesn't feel like a piece of software to code in.

So I was thinking I would get some suggestions here. I've seen some programs that actually have the black background with colored codes - how well is that for the eyes for longer coding runs?

I'm primarily doing PHP, HTML & CSS.

ASP.NET: Visual Studio 2008 (work) or 2010 (Home)

Windows: Visual Studio 2010

PHP: Eclipse (PDT Plugin)

Java: Eclipse

Quick Edits: Gedit or Notepad++ depending on whether I'm using Ubuntu or Windows respectively.

I use Netbean's PHP variant. It does the usual syntax highlighting, code completion, project management, great code navigation etc, but it also integrates nicely with source control which is a big plus for me.

I use Coda on my Mac. On Windows, I use Intype.

Eh. Great looking text editor, terrible execution. Considering it has been two years since their last "stable" release and their complete lack of communication skills, it's unlikely that I'll ever pay for the product

Eh. Great looking text editor, terrible execution. Considering it has been two years since their last "stable" release and their complete lack of communication skills, it's unlikely that I'll ever pay for the product

That's why I switched to Vim. Frankly I'm glad Vim is all sorts of awesome.

Notepad++ for me, though I used to use Expression Web from MS. I wish there was a windows version of Coda. In my limited use of it I thought it was pretty awesome.

Dreamweaver --> Any web design coding

AVR Studio --> C or Assembly on Atmel products

Quartus II --> VHDL

Eclipse --> Java

LabVIEW --> G-code

RSLogix 5000 --> Ladder Logic for Allen-Bradley PLC's

MATLAB --> whatever the hell that language is called

MS Office --> VBA macros

Just a few of the apps I had to use in the past year.

Coda is one of the most beautiful and well written apps I've ever used, so that's what I use on OS X.

On Windows I usually use just a notepad or equivilent, or Visual Studio.

Today I'm using Visual Studio 2008 and I want to punch it in its face. I'm managing a few mercurial branches and the waiting game for a project refresh is getting annoying.

osx i use coda, best programming program out there IMO on any platform. been using it since it was initially released (all i do all my coding in osx anyways...)

There is a program called HomeSite developed by Nick Bradbury for Allaire Corporation. In 2003, the software was bought by Macromedia and integrated with DreamWeaver. The independent program was stopped somewhere in 2004. Its a nice light program for programmers are it suggest the functions which was helpful. But now its outdated and not sure if there is anything better around. Nick Bradbury later made TopStyle. Should try that also.

Yeah I know. I use it only for it's syntax highlighting ;)