Which program do you use for coding?

Question

I was thinking about trying to switch out Dreamweaver with something else that is a lot more coding related. Even though in CS5 there are a lot of features in DW it still doesn't feel like a piece of software to code in.

So I was thinking I would get some suggestions here. I've seen some programs that actually have the black background with colored codes - how well is that for the eyes for longer coding runs?

I'm primarily doing PHP, HTML & CSS.

Notepad2 for HTML and CSS. I think it looks better out of the box compared to Notepad++.

I like something that just works.

I'm using Aptana Studio 3 beta for everything. Most of the times I work online with Aptana, so edit straight on the server. When I don't FileZilla does the trick.

Dreamweaver --> Any web design coding

AVR Studio --> C or Assembly on Atmel products

Quartus II --> VHDL

Eclipse --> Java

LabVIEW --> G-code

RSLogix 5000 --> Ladder Logic for Allen-Bradley PLC's

MATLAB --> whatever the hell that language is called

MS Office --> VBA macros

Just a few of the apps I had to use in the past year.

The VBA editor is one hell of an outdated mess. Though I both like and dislike how it warn you whenever there is something wrong with the line you just entered.

Netbeans for PHP

Visual Studio 2010 for ASP.Net

Microsoft Web Expression 4 for web design

Notepad++ for scripting and other light work

visual studio 2010 for .net development

flashbuilder 4 for flex

eclipse-php-helios for php development

notepad++ for javascript and other

Visual Studio for pretty much all code, and Blend/Web for interface stuff. This applies whether I'm developing for desktop, web, whatever. Just works great :)

• Like 2

Notepad

Netbeans

JGrasp

pico <3

Unless you're doing immense projects, you shouldn't have that many errors. Especially with php, html, and css. Notepad is fine... Notepad++ is kewl cause of the formatting, that's all.

Thanks for all the inputs. I had no idea there would be that many different programs.

Going to try out some different ones doing the weekend. Just installed Coda and Espresso on my MacBook - Still undecided which of the two i like the most.

On my PC I did some tweaking in Dreamweaver CS5, and I actually think i kinda started to like it "again".

Most of my programming is done in Netbeans (PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS) on Windows and Linux. Eclipse was good, but used a little more resources I found.

For quick fixes, I use Programmers Notepad 2 for Windows, and GEdit for Linux.

on Windows Notepad++ with FTP plugin & Zen Coding Plugin, Komodo Edit & Aptana Studio are nice too

on Mac Coda or Textmate

Visual Studio for pretty much all code, and Blend/Web for interface stuff. This applies whether I'm developing for desktop, web, whatever. Just works great :)

+1 for this. :)

Ok so I've switched back to deeamweaver now.. Simply because coda lacks some basic functionality. Well it might have it but I'm yet to find a workaround but basically if you want to highlight a paragraph of text and wrap the <p></p> tags around it you can't do it by pressing something like cmd+shift+p.. In deeamweaver u can.. Same goes for links or any other tags..

Ok so I've switched back to deeamweaver now.. Simply because coda lacks some basic functionality. Well it might have it but I'm yet to find a workaround but basically if you want to highlight a paragraph of text and wrap the <p></p> tags around it you can't do it by pressing something like cmd+shift+p.. In deeamweaver u can.. Same goes for links or any other tags..

You might want to research a little more into Coda. You can actually create clips and text inserts! :)

I know it might not be fun having to add it all but hey, better than nothing.

http://rathersplendid.net/home/coda-clip-library-for-html5

http://coda-clips.com/ <-- best one really :)