• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

question about lens for nikon

Dane    177

So with my D3100 I have the stock 18-55 lens, and later on I want a bigger lens because sometimes the pictures I take are at a distance. So I was looking for a 55-200

(http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200mm-VR-Vibration-Reduction/dp/B000O161X0/ref=pd_cp_p_2) The VR version.

Now I found this Nikon 70-300mm. It's lot more than I want to spend though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJPK2C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005Y3OM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MNQ5TV1K30TQ0XR5HMZ

Then I found this Sigma 70-300mm for $153.80 Which is actually cheaper than the 55-200.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012X43P2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005Y3OM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MNQ5TV1K30TQ0XR5HMZ

Whats the difference between the Sigma, and nikon lens? I know nothing of lenses. Is the 55-200 a good add on to have?

threetonesun    1,204

Sigma makes decent lenses. For what you want this for (the 200 and greater range), you'll either have to be ok with an ok cheap lens, or spend a lot of money to get a good lens. Nikon used to make a 70-300G lens (you can probably find it on Ebay) that was about $100. It wasn't sharp, and it had crazy lens creep, and it's near impossible to take a picture at the 300 end without a tripod, but if you're out shooting birds, or you want to do some cheap macrophotography, it was good enough.

remus_lupin    10

I agree with threetonesun...

I have the Nikon 70-300 VR that you linked and its a decent lens, a year ago I would have said GREAT, but now I have a 105 2.8 lol

But in comparison to the sigma I am going to say it IS great, but sometimes Sigma makes lenses that are have the price of the Nikon's and "comparable" in quality, I am not sure if that is the case in this instance. However, that sigma does not have VR or optical stabilization which would be nice at longer focal lengths.

It is not necessary to cover every focal length e.g. to go from 18-55 then pick up from 55 and go on (55-200). So I would not let that have any influence on whether you purchase a 55-200 or 70-300.

So personally, I would say DON'T go with the sigma, just because it does not have any type of optical stabilization, unless of course you feel you will not need it (but I greatly recommend it) so go with either Nikon. Maybe see if you can try both of them out somewhere, and see for yourself if the 300 is too long, and the 200mm would work just fine.

Again however, if you don't care about the VR (and unless anyone else has an objection) and you don't want to spend a lot, and are not TOO concerned about quality otherwise just pick up the sigma

Dane    177

I have the Nikon 70-300 VR that you linked and its a decent lens, a year ago I would have said GREAT, but now I have a 105 2.8 lol

But in comparison to the sigma I am going to say it IS great, but sometimes Sigma makes lenses that are have the price of the Nikon's and "comparable" in quality, I am not sure if that is the case in this instance. However, that sigma does not have VR or optical stabilization which would be nice at longer focal lengths.

It is not necessary to cover every focal length e.g. to go from 18-55 then pick up from 55 and go on (55-200). So I would not let that have any influence on whether you purchase a 55-200 or 70-300.

So personally, I would say DON'T go with the sigma, just because it does not have any type of optical stabilization, unless of course you feel you will not need it (but I greatly recommend it) so go with either Nikon. Maybe see if you can try both of them out somewhere, and see for yourself if the 300 is too long, and the 200mm would work just fine.

Again however, if you don't care about the VR (and unless anyone else has an objection) and you don't want to spend a lot, and are not TOO concerned about quality otherwise just pick up the sigma

Thanks I'll most likely pick up the 55-200 for the VR. I was reading about it on nikons site and elsewhere where it includes pictures with it on and with it off, it looks like it really helps. Maybe later on I'll get a bigger lens.

remus_lupin    10

Thanks I'll most likely pick up the 55-200 for the VR. I was reading about it on nikons site and elsewhere where it includes pictures with it on and with it off, it looks like it really helps. Maybe later on I'll get a bigger lens.

Good choice!

TAZMINATOR    12,430

I have that 105 2.8 VR lens.. Awesome lens. (Y)

By the way, 55-200 is great lens. (Y). I have both of them.

Argote    73

The Sigma is cheaper because it does not have VR (or OS, as Sigma calls it). Plus, comparable third party lenses are usually slightly cheaper. Sigma makes good quality optics at a nice price.

In this case I'd go with the Nikon 55-200 as I've heard good thins about it. Sigma also makes a 50-200 zoom with OS which has the benefit of the front element not rotating on focus http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50-200mm-Stabilized-OS-Nikon/dp/tech-data/B002330GOW/ref=de_a_smtd.

Finally, if you're willing to spend more, Simga and Tamron both make 70-300 lenses with VR equivalents. I've heard many good things about the Tamron 70-300 VC USD.

Dane    177

Bump? Should I get it refurb for 150$ or goto best buy that has it new on sale that comes to 207$ total

TAZMINATOR    12,430

Bump? Should I get it refurb for 150$ or goto best buy that has it new on sale that comes to 207$ total

It is up to you. If you get a refurb item, you take it home and check it out and make sure it works well. If not, you may be able to return it back to the store as long as they have a return policy for that. Otherwise, get a new one.

Dane    177

It is up to you. If you get a refurb item, you take it home and check it out and make sure it works well. If not, you may be able to return it back to the store as long as they have a return policy for that. Otherwise, get a new one.

The refurb is to buy online only. What would you do?

Also with a 55-200 is vr worth it?

TAZMINATOR    12,430

The refurb is to buy online only. What would you do?

Check and see if they have warranty on the refurb items. If so, you can get it.. If you have any more questions about refurb items, contact the store or look up on their website.

If they do not have warranty or return policy, then stay away and then go to best buy to get a new one.

Yes, 55-200 VR is great. I have it.

Dane    177

Check and see if they have warranty on the refurb items. If so, you can get it.. If you have any more questions about refurb items, contact the store or look up on their website.

If they do not have warranty or return policy, then stay away and then go to best buy to get a new one.

Yes, 55-200 VR is great. I have it.

it comes with a nikon warranty for a year, but for returns i have to pay to ship it back.

a brand new ones comes with a hood as well correct?

TAZMINATOR    12,430

it comes with a nikon warranty for a year, but for returns i have to pay to ship it back.

a brand new ones comes with a hood as well correct?

Yes, that lens does have a hood. Refurb lens may have it as well.

Not if you return the same package with return label that comes with your item. When you are returning it back, peel the return label off and slap it on the box before returning.

If you do not have return label, you may have to pay to ship it back.

I have not been to that store so I have no idea what they have in store for you to return... Most companies provide the return labels in the packages along with the items.

So it is entirely up to you to get a refurb item or not. If not, get a new one.

I got a 105 VR lens that is used. If it was new, it is expensive. So I got an used lens instead. It has a hood as well.

Dane    177

I just took notice the Nikon 55-200 VR on amazon now says "Ships and sold by amazon" it was electronics expo which put me off. So if it still says in a few days ships and sold by amazon I am going to buy it.

I was going to go for the refurb however it only has a 90day warranty.

If I buy it new, and register it within 10 days. I get a free five year warranty.

Argote    73

Nice, also check out bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com

Dane    177

Nice, also check out bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com

Thanks adorama is where i found the refurb. however amazon is still cheaper for brand new.