*[NEW DISCOVERY]* My friend's computer has Windows 7 SP3?

My friend only did a WAU from Home Premium to Ultimate.

WAU - Windows Anytime Upgrade

Soon after, he discovered that his pc has Windows 7 Ultimate SP3 installed.

[Q] I would like to know if its caused by a malware or something?

post-360706-0-63159600-1295924066.png

My friend bought his PC Pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium and upgraded to Ultimate using WAU.

My friend bought his PC Pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium and upgraded to Ultimate using WAU. His Windows is Genuine.

My friend bought his PC Pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium and upgraded to Ultimate using WAU.

Sometimes even those ship with pirated copies...

My guess is that your friend might have tinkered with the registry to look cool :p

Glassed Silver:mac

it's just a random bug, i've seen it before, a key in the registry somehow got changed, so basically the computer thinks it has SP3 installed, basically just change the key back and you should be fine, though i can't remember what key it is due to not knowing the registry very well

There is a build version on your right corner, which means something is going on here... u friend bought a pirated windows version or is a bug.

It cant be pirated since he bought this PC from HP Singapore directly and up till now WGA hasnt alerted him yet. So it must have been a bug.

It cant be pirated since he bought this PC from HP Singapore directly and up till now WGA hasnt alerted him yet. So it must have been a bug.

You can pirate and still pass WGA.

A few of my computers passed WGA till I got 7 Pro keys for all of them.

You can pirate and still pass WGA.

A few of my computers passed WGA till I got 7 Pro keys for all of them.

Is it possible for WAU to accept a pirated key without any cracks? He says he didnt crack anything

Open regidit...Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Take screenshot. He probably edited one of those fields (or something else did) and modified the version numbers.

Open regidit...Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Take screenshot. He probably edited one of those fields (or something else did) and modified the version numbers.

As i posted earlier on, he doesnt know how to tinker with the registry. Here's the screenshot. He hasnt installed SP1 but has installed all the security updates released so far.

post-360706-0-13788300-1295929402.png

Well isn't it obvious from that screenshot?

The build number is the proper Windows 7 RTM (if it was a service pack it should be different). CSDVersion shouldn't exist (unless you have SP1 installed in which case it will say Service Pack 1). Rest is what its supposed to be.

If you want, go change CSDVersion to say like "Cookie Monster Unlimited Edition" and then go look at winver or My computer properties again.

• Like 3

Don't remove the key itself, just the value from the CSDVersion key.

My guess would be that HP mistakenly used certain registry entries from XP without checking first.

• Like 2