World's Oldest Volcano To Wipe Out More Than 50% Of The US

?But we have no idea how long this process goes on before there either is an eruption or the inflow of molten rock stops and the caldera deflates again?.

Let's not start panicking just yet.

what's w/ people's fascination w/ doomsday stuff? there are entire shows on Discovery and History Channel related to it. :rolleyes:

are people's lives that boring that they need to fantasize about the future's destruction?

Luckily for me ohio is well over 1000 miles away from there. So i have no need to worry if it ever does happen.

Yeah right, dream on. If an eruption like that really happens it will affect the whole U.S. and have global repercussions. I don't think it's going to happen in the near future but when it happens those who are alive to see it will have a really hard time surviving the aftermath.

Except for the fact the entire United States will be thrown into chaos and its economy would almost completely collapse. Thinking you don't need to worry just because your hometown won't be wiped out during the initial blast is a bit simplistic. If this happens it will have a global impact.

More like the whole world would be thrown in to chaos, that ash cloud wouldnt be limited to just the US, at some point it would cover most of the northern hemisphere, if not a large part of the south as well. IMO its nothing to worry about. If it does blow doubt its going to blow. Id rather be in its path then have to deal with the aftermath of it later.

What's the big deal?

According to the most accurate historical preenactment known to our academic societies, this volcano poses little to no threat towards the non-tinfoil-hat hippie-Americans of this world. Now, you may be thinking: 'but what about the planes?', and 'there was this whole Iceland thing a while back, where my father was stuck in the barbaric towns of England for days while his flights were delayed'; well I'm here to assuage all your volcanic fears. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about your valid and serious concerns involving the British.

Studies performed by our top science-gineers have shown that thanks to technological breakthroughs over the next 23 months, our planes will not only be capable of taking off without any additional difficulty due to the most intense seismic activity; but also, that our planes will be treated to withstand 1000c (1830f) temperatures found in pyroclastic density currents; and don't you worry about that downer Physics, when trying to fly in one of those pyro-whats-its either --we got it covered. Furhtermore, if you have any concerns about flaming debris falling on your Winnebago, cheer up. It's a widely accepted fact that a volcano has the accuracy of a studious console FPS'er trying to play his (or her) favorite game on a PC for the first time --and even then, as shown below, with luck on their side, the best they can do is graze their targets before being nullified.

More like the whole world would be thrown in to chaos, that ash cloud wouldnt be limited to just the US, at some point it would cover most of the northern hemisphere, if not a large part of the south as well. IMO its nothing to worry about. If it does blow doubt its going to blow. Id rather be in its path then have to deal with the aftermath of it later.

Yeah, I doubt it would be the end of the world but it would be damn annoying. I really don't think it's going to blow right now. In a few years now.....

The last I read about it, the Yellowstone Supervolcano is several thousand years overdue for an eruption, going by past cycles, so this isn't exactly news. There was a movie done about it a few years ago, and Discovery Channel (I believe) had a few shows dedicated to the subject. The fact that the caldera has been rising at an accelerated rate is certainly cause for concern. Perhaps some of you who think it is no big deal or that it won't happen should read up on it a little more.

What's the big deal?

According to the most accurate historical preenactment known to our academic societies, this volcano poses little to no threat towards the non-tinfoil-hat hippie-Americans of this world. Now, you may be thinking: 'but what about the planes?', and 'there was this whole Iceland thing a while back, where my father was stuck in the barbaric towns of England for days while his flights were delayed'; well I'm here to assuage all your volcanic fears. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about your valid and serious concerns involving the British.

Studies performed by our top science-gineers have shown that thanks to technological breakthroughs over the next 23 months, our planes will not only be capable of taking off without any additional difficulty due to the most intense seismic activity; but also, that our planes will be treated to withstand 1000c (1830f) temperatures found in pyroclastic density currents; and don't you worry about that downer Physics, when trying to fly in one of those pyro-whats-its either --we got it covered. Furhtermore, if you have any concerns about flaming debris falling on your Winnebago, cheer up. It's a widely accepted fact that a volcano has the accuracy of a studious console FPS'er trying to play his (or her) favorite game on a PC for the first time --and even then, as shown below, with luck on their side, the best they can do is graze their targets before being nullified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUT8g8_Yd

Dont get me wrong Im not in the tin foil hat crowd but I have to point out, but aspect of this happening goes way beyond the affect on planes and flying debris hitting cars. You're talking about technology breakthroughs in 2 yrs but the avg plane flying in the sky is over 10 yrs old. That technology wont do jack for those planes. Secondly regardless of what ever tech allows planes to fly in that still wont mean jack if planes dont have the ability to take off or land in the first place over the large amounts of ash blocking any kind of viable view. Outside of the plane aspect, the ash cloud from a super volcano will cause a much greater issue then who can fly. Flying wont mean squat if people are choking to death as well as having the ash contaminate the water and plant and food supplies along with the spread of diseases in the aftermath. So if your unlucky enough to not be killed in the initial blast, the ash cloud alone will cause enough issues that flying wont be at the top of that list.

Luckily for me ohio is well over 1000 miles away from there. So i have no need to worry if it ever does happen.

Except for the fact that Ohio would be buried in ash. :|

The last I read about it, the Yellowstone Supervolcano is several thousand years overdue for an eruption, going by past cycles, so this isn't exactly news. There was a movie done about it a few years ago, and Discovery Channel (I believe) had a few shows dedicated to the subject. The fact that the caldera has been rising at an accelerated rate is certainly cause for concern. Perhaps some of you who think it is no big deal or that it won't happen should read up on it a little more.

At the same time, there isnt a damn thing anyone can do. So worrying about it is just silly. Its not like you can build a shelter, at least not if your in a location thats anywhere close to it. The aftermath alone will be far worse then most can imagine let alone deal with. So why worry about something that no one has any control over?

What's the big deal?

How incredibly arrogant...so much so that I can't figure out if this is sarcasm or serious.

are they still saying it could erupt within the next thousand years ( aka they dont know when )

Yikes my girlfriend lives near there.... I hope this thing keeps shut for a few years.

Really? :blink:

You never told me, did you?

Glassed Silver:mac

what's w/ people's fascination w/ doomsday stuff? there are entire shows on Discovery and History Channel related to it. :rolleyes:

are people's lives that boring that they need to fantasize about the future's destruction?

To many primitive minds it's a lot more "entertaining" to worry about the stuff in the future, to expect something, than to focus on what matters today, to deal with the problems currently at hand.

I blame the media for all their sensationalism and scaremongering. It's almost like they have a special agenda in addition to reporting the news - to keep the peoples' minds away from what matters to them now and instead have them occupied with all this bull**** which will never happen in their lifetimes.

Dont get me wrong Im not in the tin foil hat crowd but I have to point out, but aspect of this happening goes way beyond the affect on planes and flying debris hitting cars. You're talking about technology breakthroughs in 2 yrs but the avg plane flying in the sky is over 10 yrs old. That technology wont do jack for those planes. Secondly regardless of what ever tech allows planes to fly in that still wont mean jack if planes dont have the ability to take off or land in the first place over the large amounts of ash blocking any kind of viable view. Outside of the plane aspect, the ash cloud from a super volcano will cause a much greater issue then who can fly. Flying wont mean squat if people are choking to death as well as having the ash contaminate the water and plant and food supplies along with the spread of diseases in the aftermath. So if your unlucky enough to not be killed in the initial blast, the ash cloud alone will cause enough issues that flying wont be at the top of that list.

I'm pretty sure that the post with the 2012 movie clip was dripping in sarcasm.

I have no doubt that something like this could happen at the end of 2012.

Of course something like this could happen at the end of 2012. Or the beginning of 2012. Or the end of 2011. Or tomorrow. Or 10 years from now. Or 1,000 years or 10,000 years or 10 million.

:sleep: ..

Wake me when a more credible source says we're at risk.

Daily Mail = Daily Fail

It's a tabloid news paper.. like the ones who say BATBOY LIVES and etc. It shouldn't be quoted or read.

BBC made a very great documentary on this a few years back. Basically, they predicted that if the Yellowstone Caldera erupts, the volcanic ash would block out sun light around the world, cause temperatures to drop and plunge Earth into a volcanic winter. A lot of the US would sustain a large toll of damage and there will be severe weather disruptions around the world etc.

I know it sounds silly, but the threats proposed by the caldera is actually very, very real. Not that we should go and put on tin-foil hats and blabber about 2012, but it's no joke, either.

There's some info on the documentary here, and National Geographic also has quite in-depth material on it here.

I have the awful impression that the Y2K doomsday scare is back in full force for 2012. I am really wondering how many survival scams: survival trainings camps, survival backpacks and doomsday bunkers will appear in the near future.

As far as the Yellowstone caldera is concerned, it is constantly monitored by the USGS

From this page on USGS.gov

Ground Deformation Summary: Careful analysis of the Yellowstone GPS data shows that the period of accelerated Yellowstone caldera uplift, beginning in 2004, has decreased.

So, it is a geologically active region (like the entire west coast of the US by the way!) but there is no reasons to flee.