56K or Broadband?

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

bubka
Originally posted by vodkacow

i like cable......most of my friends bitch n' bitch n' bitch on how bad it is.......but dat's cuz they live on streets where EVERYONE has it......therby reducing their speeds 2 worse dan 56k during evenings......

but i dun have dat problem :)

u kno y??........cuz i live on a street full of old n' retired ppl!!.......

I get all of my bandwidth :) (i'm sorry.......i jus like 2 gloat alot!!)

my friend who lives in a even ghettoer (if dat's a word) neighbourhood has even better ul/dl speeds!!.........

:) cable is good only if u live in a "ghetto" neighbourhood.....otherwise u get screwed over :) (sucka)

lol, I really hope this is a joke

answer to your profile quote: the sun

Jon

I pay ?50 a month for ADSL with nildram, payed the extra (over btopenworld etc) coz i wanted a decent service, and their customer comments where sh*t hot.

And it is sh*t fast, dont think i've ever not got all of my potential bandwidth.

yey

lsdn

56K for now... I wish I had a dual-ISDN at least...

Anywhay, I like the way KPNQwest works...

-----------------

1.2GHz Athlon

256MB RAM

30GB Seagate Hard Drive

40X TEAC CD

8X TEAC Burner

GeForce2MX

Conexant HFC Modem

Sarge

DSL all the way...even though i'm paying an arm and a leg due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere. Or at least thats the way Qwest looks at it. Really miss my 8M SDSL that I had in Korea for 30 dollars a month.

johnnIE

NTL cable broadband in UK rocks for ~$35 a month! Those of us who can get it are soooooo lucky! :D

ElGato
Originally posted by johnnIE

NTL cable broadband in UK rocks for ~$35 a month! Those of us who can get it are soooooo lucky! :D

Apparently it's not available in my area, but I've had it for 12 Months, :D

bull
Originally posted by DamN

56k is for people who hardly ever go on or download large files.

56K is also for us who live in the rural areas and don't have broadband available yet. That is what I have, but hopefully microwave wireless in about a month!!!!!:)

mtgriffith

Unfortunately for people in Rural areas 56k is more like 28.8 or worse. I always hate surfing then net at my Father-in-law's house. Not only does he have a slow connection but he has AOL.

Roger H.

I prolly have the best connection here... hehe... I got Optimum Online at 10mbps (down) and 1mbps (Up) for $29.99 :) I've had it for about 2 years now and wont ever change to DSL or back to 56K. Whenever my connection drops out for maintainance or something esle (which is like 1 every 4 months for couple hours in the morning) i don't even turn on my computer cuz i refuse to use that other 56K connection that they gave to us to use in that case.. LOL Oh well....

Dazzla
Originally posted by johnnIE

Well NTL Cable is ?24.99 for me and is available (although I dont have it). I have the bog standard 64K cable modem which is ?0 per month and has the advantage of being always on (which I think is more important than speed). Just one of the few disadvantages of being a poor studen:(::(:(

Jackalo

I have dual SDSL lines (two phone lines). $40/month each. Only a block away from the C.O., so you can guess what type of speeds I see. :evil:

P.S. If you wonder why I have two SDSL connections, I run a few different servers, and this route was cheaper than the T1. =)

ElGato
Originally posted by Dazzla

Well NTL Cable is ?24.99 for me and is available (although I dont have it). I have the bog standard 64K cable modem which is ?0 per month and has the advantage of being always on (which I think is more important than speed). Just one of the few disadvantages of being a poor studen:(::(:( b>

It's only ?24.99/Month if you already subscribe to a NTL digital service.

memo

I guess it all depends on the luck of the draw. I have 1.5Mb DSL and I'm quite happy with it. Living in San Francisco where there are 3 pc's per home cable is a horrible option, whereas with DSL I always have the same speed. Some of my friends who live in more rural areas enjoy cable (anyway DSL is nowhere near their locations), but in a city with many subscribers DSL is the way to go (within the same price range, that is). Cheers.

Faction

Muahaha i had 56k and connected at 26.4 bps for 2 or 3 years MAUHAHAHAHhAHA 2 WEEKS AGO I GOT DSLMUAHAHAH woot!!

zivan56

I find cable to be the best alternative, its like a home network so it does not depend on the os (unlike my friend with DSL who needed some authentication program **** which takes 5 mins to log in)

larry

Cable is great. I also hear they have software from motorola to make the speeds 2-3x's faster than now!

MulletRobZ

ADSL is my connection and it really kicks ass! :)

Elektro

larry- yeah. got cable two days ago. New modem actually- Motorola SURFboard. Software is just USB Drivers and Support. I dont think it does much for speed tho..... i get crap around here like 210 kbps down and not sure about the up yet prob. around 100.

Elektro

Danik- that kicks ass! 10,000 eh? I bet your friends think you are God :) .

Elektro

oh, which reminds me... anyone know any good speed tweaks?

Xcalibur

cable of course!.. my isp is the worlds fastest's residential ISP (Shaw cable) and no, i dont work for them, lol.. i'm not old enough to work for a big company like that...

and i doubt those speak tweak things work.. jus be happy with what you have. :D

MulletRobZ

My ADSL connection connects at 10 Megabits per second, as I've checked in my XP Pro System Tray! :)