WP7 copy and paste limitations detailed

George P

My link

It seems, at least for now, 3rd party apps are limited to textbox controls only.

"...copy and paste is ONLY supported on the textbox control in 3rd party apps. When I say supported, I?m talking about the OS automagically recognizing the input control and giving the user the fancy text selection picker with a ?copy? button."

Some apps will probably be updated or I'm guessing when we get the first major update we'll see expanded 3rd party support as well.

spudtrooper

They need to get this update out asap!

~Johnny

My link

It seems, at least for now, 3rd party apps are limited to textbox controls only.

"...copy and paste is ONLY supported on the textbox control in 3rd party apps. When I say supported, I’m talking about the OS automagically recognizing the input control and giving the user the fancy text selection picker with a “copy” button."

Some apps will probably be updated or I'm guessing when we get the first major update we'll see expanded 3rd party support as well.

Us app developers won't have to do anything to update our apps - it'll just automatically be there when the updates comes around :p Shame they can't support TextBlocks as well as TextBoxes though, but eh, same as on the iPhone I guess >.< Not too sure if it's the same deal on Android.

They need to get this update out asap!

Apparently they're just waiting for the carriers to sign it off, according to the Chevron WP7 guys during their meetings with Microsoft @____@ In all honesty, there's nothing much for carriers to check anyway, it not like they were able to put their big sticky fingers all over it in the first place, thankfully xD Though I still suspect it's US carriers holding it up, the rest of the world's carriers usually don't get so involved >.<

bob_c_b

While maybe twice I could have really used, I think the "pent up demand" and desperate need to get this out ASAP is greatly exaggerated, I'll be glad to have it but it's far from a deal breaker unless you are trying to argue bullet points against other phones.

• Like 2
jonnyH

ive had my phone for coming up a week now and have only really wanted copy and paste once or twice (and i have beeen using my phone alot as its a new gadget :D ) so im in the same position as bob_c_d while it will be nice to have i can't see the sudden need for it.

HawkMan

I haven't really had a need for it once yet. and the only time I needed it on my android was when I bought launcher pro, since the idiot coders decided to not use the marketplace so you needed to copy paste the activation code.

spudtrooper

While maybe twice I could have really used, I think the "pent up demand" and desperate need to get this out ASAP is greatly exaggerated, I'll be glad to have it but it's far from a deal breaker unless you are trying to argue bullet points against other phones.

I've been TRYING to use excel in mobile office but without cut & paste, its just a pain in the ass.. my wife is even harping on it and she needs cut & paste to update remote excel worksheets as well for timecards/employee reports.. the sooner, the better :)

plus they need to fix market place performance, search and hopefully they will fix the audio gap/bug in zune player as well

Shadrack

Us app developers won't have to do anything to update our apps - it'll just automatically be there when the updates comes around :p Shame they can't support TextBlocks as well as TextBoxes though, but eh, same as on the iPhone I guess >.< Not too sure if it's the same deal on Android.

I can copy-paste Images on my iPhone. Copy/paste works fine for moving images from web page or camera roll into an email, for instance. So copy-paste works outside of text areas on iOS...

~Johnny

I can copy-paste Images on my iPhone. Copy/paste works fine for moving images from web page or camera roll into an email, for instance. So copy-paste works outside of text areas on iOS...

EH, I was more talking about textBlocks / labels, but yeah it'd certainl be nice to have that too :Ph

Prince Charming

Textblocks would be extremely weird, as they're used for just displaying text in the app. It would be rather strange if you could copy and paste the title of your app, or if you could copy and paste the section headers on panoramas. The textbox only limitation seems like the best way forward for now :)

Subject Delta

It is, as far as I can tell there is no universal C+P API on Android

Mr. Gibs

Update on this:

cpwp7.jpg

We had some reporting yesterday about Copy and Paste in Windows Phone 7 was limited to text boxes in 3rd party apps. What was not reported as widely however was that it was not limited in the same way in the native OS apps such as IE or the email and Messaging app. This is of course important for cutting and pasting from the internet and email messages, the main source of new information on a handset, and of course devs can program their app (if it has a lot of copy-worthy content) to make it accessible.

Of note is that this is the same as on the iPhone, so should not really alarm people.

The first update which brings copy and paste to Windows Phone 7 is expected in a matter of days, and likely before the second week of February.

Source: WMPowerUser

spudtrooper

ugh.. this update can't come soon enough heh.. Any leaks of final build # we should see?

George P

The build MS was showing off was #7354 I think so my bet is on the final being #7400.

JonathanMarston

Chris Walshie explains how this works for 3rd party developers on his blog. I think this is the right way to do it. As stated above, some text doesn't make any sense for copy and paste, so this gives the app developers the ability to determine what is copyable and what isn't.

I'm also hoping that in a future update they add APIs to read/write to the clipboard programmatically...