• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Interesting Sensor Comparison tool

Argote    73

Hello, I came across this page while doing some research for my body upgrade, I thought I'd share since it gives pretty nice (though somewhat theoretical) information.

Here's an example (cameras listed chosen to be near the $1500 price mark).

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28appareil2%29/680|0/%28appareil3%29/619|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

remus_lupin    10

Yeah good post, I have not used this site specifically before, but I have seen the DxOmark comparisons before.

This has a nice layout and easy to compare a few cameras at once

it would be cool if they'd show who made the sensors too... There are sites out there that do that though, like the D7000 and Sony A580 share the same sensor (made by sony) -albeit the D7000 sensor is modified

crazzy88ss    66

Wow, other than FPS, the D7000 kills the 7D.

It's a cool tool, but did/has it influence(d) your purchasing decision?

*edit*

Really cool tool. :p

Draconian Guppy    13,038

off topic, why did you / want to upgrade ?

Argote    73

In a way, yes, I currently have the Sony A200 and was unsure if I should upgrade to the A55 or the A580. Both have the same sensor but the A55 uses a translucent mirror which enables Phase Detect autofocus to work during Video and gives the body a 10fps burst rate (on a $700 body). However the A580 is supposed to have higher image quality due to the fact that it uses a traditional DSLR mirror which does not incur in light loss.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/342|0/%28appareil2%29/675|0/%28appareil3%29/685|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Sony/%28brand2%29/Sony/%28brand3%29/Sony

After seeing the comparison the scales are tipping even more towards the A580 which basically matches the D7000 on the sensor rating at a few hundred dollars less (though the D7000 has a way nicer build and a larger pentaprism viewfinder)...

off topic, why did you / want to upgrade ?

Consumerism + Higher ISO performance + I can sell my current camera in Mexico for a good price.

I always thought that Nikon, Sony and Pentax all used the same sensor for same camera levels.. Ie in D5000 Vs k-X dXo markes confirms this. I guess this is much teh case for the A580 vs D7000 seeing it has basically teh same score here

Video for me is worthless :s I can't think of a single situation that I would say " hey I should bring my dSLR to shoot video", but then again video on the D5000 is anything to write home about so... In other words IMO teh A580 would be my choice.

remus_lupin    10

I always thought that Nikon, Sony and Pentax all used the same sensor for same camera levels.. Ie in D5000 Vs k-X dXo markes confirms this. I guess this is much teh case for the A580 vs D7000 seeing it has basically teh same score here

Video for me is worthless :s I can't think of a single situation that I would say " hey I should bring my dSLR to shoot video", but then again video on the D5000 is anything to write home about so... In other words IMO teh A580 would be my choice.

Yes, as I mentioned above the D7000 and A580 share same sensor, however, I am fairly certain that some of the higher end models from Nikon such as D3 and D700 use their own sensors, are made by Nikon not sony, I remember reading somewhere that Nikon wants to start making their own sensors more often as they are "better" - according to them - ... the D3100 sensor was made by them (not high end - but newer)

^^ there's an article on dpreview somewhere, that even though Sony makes the sensor for the high end models, nikon "tweaks" them and as well plays a major part of teh devolpment/manufacturing process.

remus_lupin    10

^^ there's an article on dpreview somewhere, that even though Sony makes the sensor for the high end models, nikon "tweaks" them and as well plays a major part of teh devolpment/manufacturing process.

yup, exactly, development and manufacturing are two different things (essentially nikon develops it, while sony manufactures it... but as it is Sony who physically manufactures it, it is their 'name' that is put onto the sensor), I think I read an article that right now (or at least for the past while) it is more cost effective for nikon to outsource the manufacturing to a third party (e.g. sony) but as I mentioned, they want to try and manufacture their own sensors - at least I believe that is what I read -

TAZMINATOR    12,430

That is an interesting site. I just bookmarked it.

Thanks for sharing. I will pass this info to my brother and see what he says about it.

Andre    9

Argote, save some cash and go full frame. You won't regret it. :D

crazzy88ss    66

Argote, save some cash and go full frame. You won't regret it. :D

+1

That's what I'm doing.

RUMORS have it that canon and/or nikon are on the verge of releasing cheaper FF cameras. We'll see, but if not, a used 5D or D700 are great.