NGP (PSP2?) Officially Announced

I'm actually quite impressed. I never expected them to take such drastic steps 4x the Resolution, Touch Screen, Touch Pad, Quad Core CPU, Dual Cameras, Dual Analogue Sticks, 3G, GPS. I mean I am actually shocked that they have decided to put so much stuff in it and it actually looks good too.

Nice job Sony. Nice Job.

Much of which already exists and lets be honest... PSP has its 6 years, by introduction of psp2 ca 7, they just have to cram all stuff together otherwise they'll lose in the mid-run FAST!

Glassed Silver:win

Looks good... I'll be buying it as soon as they release a new Monster Hunter Portable for it (which might not be soon at all, though).

Now that the new PSP has 3G connectivity, they could even release a Monster Hunter Frontier Portable :woot:

that's not very small.

...it's only a tiny bit bigger than the PSP 3000, and that's not exactly a great leviathan. It's got a 5" screen, so what do you expect? Frankly, it's a brilliant size, considering the screen is 1.2" bigger than the first PSP, and the device is only a tiny tiny bit bigger.

I think the difference here is that because there's no UMD slot, they've almost certainly dismissed backwards compatibility, which would be a big bummer. The homebrew developers will probably find a way to do it though.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna wait until CFW is up and running on the NGP before I buy it. :p

I wouldn't be so quick to write off backwards compatibility. Remember they have the digital distrubution channel there from the PSP Go, so there is no reason really why they can't allow you to download orignal PSP games as long as the hardware supports it / they can get a decent emulator.

Also, just looking at the specs, the resolution is exactly 4 times that of the PSP. So that would make it easier for PSP games to work on this device (no stretching, black bars etc).

seems to be the key words

The ability to play PS1 games on the orignal PSP was hacked pretty quickly from what I remember, meaning you could play most PS1 games on there (even if they weren't officially available for it). Plus, considering we have the PSP Go out, I'd imagine any game available for download for that will also be available for download on the new PSP.

The ability to play PS1 games on the orignal PSP was hacked pretty quickly from what I remember, meaning you could play most PS1 games on there (even if they weren't officially available for it).

If they have learned anything from the PSP and the PS3, the NGP could remain unhacked for a long while.

Then again it's Sony we are talking about, so go figure :p

If they have learned anything from the PSP and the PS3, the NGP could remain unhacked for a long while.

Then again it's Sony we are talking about, so go figure :p

Well they didn't really learn from the PSP when they did the PS3.

And the PSP go was still hacked too.

Tbh, I think it is inevitable in this day and age. Its just a matter of time.

I am glad it looks like they've sorted the analogue sticks (PSP fat owner). I think the original PSP was a mess as they concentrated on big fancy 3D games, which some worked a lot didn't and i found my PSP collect dust quite quickly. Saying that i am looking forward to this. I probably wouldn't care if it was a week ago but i've been playing Birth By Sleep and it reminds me how some PSP games are brilliant.

Another thing is why invent another storage card!? i know it is Sony and they want control over it all but MicroSD's are small and everyone has one.

Another thing is why invent another storage card!? i know it is Sony and they want control over it all but MicroSD's are small and everyone has one.

It seems to me that the proprietary card is the format games are going to be distributed on, not the media you use to store your stuff :unsure:

ahem

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

That is all...

ahem

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

That is all...

Dang it, I nearly did the same thing as you :pinch: :woot: !

Scirwode

Hopefully not too much. Under £200 would be good. Over that, and they're pushing it a bit. Well, hopefully Sony learnt their lesson when they announced the PS3's price...

£200? Not a hope in hell :p You'd be looking at nearly £300 - £400 with this thing. If you boil it down you could essentially equate it to a superpowered smartphone or tablet - it's got everything the most expensive smartphones that are out today have, but even more highly specced in some regards :/ And those phones retail at about £400 - £500 with not-so-great profit margins. If they wanted to sell it for £200 they'd be making a massive loss - but then again they were willing to make about a ~£100-£200-ish loss on each PS3 sold, but I doubt they'd want to do that again.

Hopefully it's going to have a rather big battery to boot too, certainly something more than 1,500 mAh would be nice o.O But damn, they are some niec specs :shifty: Kinda makes me wish Nintendo had used a Tegra 2 for their 3DS instead of that years old chip they put in - the Tegra probably would have had better battery life too @_@

It seems to me that the proprietary card is the format games are going to be distributed on, not the media you use to store your stuff :unsure:

It said that the card will be used for games, add ons and your save games. So i assume it will be stored on the games card. I don't like the idea of that.

NGP will use a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. The cards will store full game titles and add-on game content or save data.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1146358p1.html

Well apparantly they are going be selling it for a loss, so hopefully we should see under ?300. Tbh, anything more then they have no chance at all.

Again, my biggest concern is no front protection for the screen/buttons/sticks. Hopefully this comes with a sleeve like the original PSP but those analog sticks, sticking out, has me concerned.

Right now a few big developers / publishers are not listed as partners with sony on this. EA being the biggest. I really hope they are just holding out on announcing something at GDC / E3 / TGS.

One of the reasons I want this is for Fifa :).

If they can make it < ?200 they have a winner

I seriously doubt it really.

Especially considering the 3DS is going to be over ?200 on launch.