Mother arrested for putting hot sauce in son's mouth as punishment

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP/ABC News) - The lawyer for an Alaska woman -- who's facing child abuse charges because of a "Dr. Phil" TV show appearance -- says authorities are intruding into a family matter.

The audience saw video of Jessica Beagley disciplining her 7-year-old son by putting hot sauce in his mouth, and by forcing him into a cold shower. But her lawyer says she's done nothing that would warrant a charge of child abuse.

He says she'll plead not guilty at today's arraignment. "Hot saucing is really the new "I'll wash out your mouth with soap," Dr. Henry Paul, Family Psychiatrist said.

For Anchorage's prosecutor, it was all too much. Municipal law there says "Unreasonable discipline" constitutes child abuse.

Prosecutors say that includes the practice known as "Hot-saucing," so Jessica Beagley was charged. "Nothing Jessica has done is criminal. If you give your child food that has hot sauce on it - maybe they eat Mexican food - does that mean its child abuse?," Bill Ingaldson, lawyer for Beagley said.

The boy and his twin brother were adopted by Beagley from RUSSIA. Now that country is investigating.

Hot-saucing has long been a rare - but controversial - method of discipline. Dr. Paul believes it is abuse.

What do you think? Should the mother be criminally charged for putting hot sauce in her 7-year old's mouth as punishment? Take our KTRE.com web poll.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. Information from ABC News was also used in this story.)

http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=13940097

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4bAHBAw7UE

Jail the bitch and set an example. :angry:

I can understand that. Some people can have adverse reactions to hot/spicy foods. You can also develop ulcers, and kidney/liver problems. I'm not peeved at all that the mother was arrested.

disciplining her 7-year-old son by putting hot sauce in his mouth, and by forcing him into a cold shower

**** that bitch, i'd stomp her head if i witnessed that. poor child, cannot believe folks would ever think this is acceptable. cold water is used as a form of torture, this is just a weaker form of it.

i have 3 children and there is never anything a young child can do to warrant this.

waaaa, please. Kids are so soft and really babies these days. Kids have no fear of their parents either. Why? Because parents are not being..ohhh, whats the word...PARENTS! TV, music, games....all these things now parent the kids as the parents are to damn busy to watch their kids and raise them.

I misbehaved, I got spanked. I said something bad, I got castor oil in the mouth. I had respect for my parents because they were real parents. I didnt watch TV all the time or play games hardly ever. Granted thats when PC gaming was starting as well as the older nintendos...but still.

Anyway, as long as the kid deserved the hot sauce/cold water...good for the parent. People need to mind their own business

Meh, is the kid scarred physically for life? No.

Are they mentally scarred? probably not.

Are they going to learn a lesson? Probably.

I'm sorry but nobody should be telling other people how to be a parent or what punishments are good/not good.

When punishments start leaving marks, bruises or cuts then that is a whole different ball game, but this example is just a good way of teaching the child a lesson.

Not that I am close to becoming a parent as yet, but if my children mis-behave and decide they want to stay up all night, I will ensure they do stay up for the WHOLE night. If they fall asleep, I will be ensuring they stay awake to show them that actually, they don't want to stay up all night. This is the punishment I believe will get through more than any "no, you must go to bed" words will ever do.

waaaa, please. Kids are so soft and really babies these days. Kids have no fear of their parents either. Why? Because parents are not being..ohhh, whats the word...PARENTS! TV, music, games....all these things now parent the kids as the parents are to damn busy to watch their kids and raise them.

I misbehaved, I got spanked. I said something bad, I got castor oil in the mouth. I had respect for my parents because they were real parents. I didnt watch TV all the time or play games hardly ever. Granted thats when PC gaming was starting as well as the older nintendos...but still.

Anyway, as long as the kid deserved the hot sauce/cold water...good for the parent. People need to mind their own business

I agree but also disagree. Parents should always discipline the child for doing wrong. But I think that the mum took it a little far. Take away the gaming console or TV rights for a bit, but forcing him to keep hot sauce in his mouth or get into a cold shower? Damn, that's extreme.

I agree but also disagree. Parents should always discipline the child for doing wrong. But I think that the mum took it a little far. Take away the gaming console or TV rights for a bit, but forcing him to keep hot sauce in his mouth or get into a cold shower? Damn, that's extreme.

Force? I didnt see her force the kid to anything. She said, open your mouth...he did. She said, get in the shower...he did.

And taking away TV or a gaming console only works for so long and not to mention, most kids these days have all that stuff in their rooms. Kids are spoiled, have no respect, and are just wild crazy kids.

Force? I didnt see her force the kid to anything. She said, open your mouth...he did. She said, get in the shower...he did.

Because he knows what comes if he refuses to. It's not kids' fault, it's all about the parents. Read some psychology.

The stupid bitch should rot in prison.

For what? She did it for what she thought was good for her child, not because she got some sick pleasure out of punishing her child. Maybe her process was wrong, but that can be solved with a counselling session. No need to arrest her.

Because he knows what comes if he refuses to.

Good, means he fears and respects his parents..at least he is starting to. Curious how he was before the hot sauce. Regardless, I doubt he was scared physically, or emotionally. Maybe next time the kid wont lie.

And growing up, I did not like taking showers so know what my dad did? He put me in the shower and a lot of times it was cold. Nothing happened to me other that being ****ed that my dad made me do something that I didnt want to do.

I'm not saying that children do not need discipline, i grew up with extremely tough discipline which consisted of getting the **** kicked out of me but already my kids are growing up just fine, feeling well loved and happy without me having to raise my hand. I'll shout, i'll put them in bed or on the stairs, i'll not let them have sweets but for crying out loud, a little boy should not have his mouth burning at all, whether he did something trivial or otherwise.

Hot saucing is done to inflict pain, discomfort and it can cause nausea. There are cases of parents causing their children severe throat and stomach burns. I'm sorry but this bitch would seriously have to feel my hand around her face several times and the weight of my size 11's because if she can dole out extreme punishments to a little boy, she can take a swift kicking from my steel toe caps.

Good, means he fears and respects his parents

fears? i do not want my children, my world to look back and remember fear. respect? yes and i have their respect.

It's a tough issue this. Personally I do feel however that with so many kids these days being able to do what they please because of the lack of ability parents have to punish them, it's creating a dangerous culture.

I'm not saying that children do not need discipline, i grew up with extremely tough discipline which consisted of getting the **** kicked out of me but already my kids are growing up just fine, feeling well loved and happy without me having to raise my hand. I'll shout, i'll put them in bed or on the stairs, i'll not let them have sweets but for crying out loud,

Good, then your kids are well behaved and have no need for anything more.

a little boy should not have his mouth burning at all, trivial or otherwise.

Hot saucing is done to inflict pain, discomfort and it can cause nausea. There are cases of parents causing their children severe throat and stomach burns. I'm sorry but this bitch would seriously have to feel my hand around her face several times and the weight of my size 11's because if she can dole out extreme punishments to a little boy, she can take a swift kicking from my steel toe caps.

Pain? Really? The kid was in no pain as far as I saw in the video. The only reason he was crying was because he was in trouble. He didnt saw ow, or it burns, or anything.

fears? i do not want my children, my world to look back and remember fear. respect? yes and i have their respect.

Not the kind of fear I was referring to.

Good, then your kids are well behaved and have no need for anything more

not really, my kids don't always behave but if they get out of line i deal with them appropriately without causing them any kind of physical suffering.

Pain? Really? The kid was in no pain as far as I saw in the video. The only reason he was crying was because he was in trouble. He didnt saw ow, or it burns, or anything.

that boy was crying because he knew what he was going to be punished, and he will obviously have some good experience of this womans inventive and obscure methods. there is no excuse for her actions. HE IS 7, he is weaker than her and basically at her mercy. that woman abused his misplaced trust in her ability to do the right thing.

Not the kind of fear I was referring to.

we will beg to differ. kids needn't feel fear in any form.

i watched all my children come into the world. i knew that i had to lead by example.

what a piece of trash that woman is. should have the kids removed permanently. wouldn't mind slipping into my uniform and giving her a proper military dress down several times worse then she done to that kid and see how she likes it. maybe it's borderline child abuse but it's not acceptable for a parent to rule over kids with fear and endangerment. Homes are places for family's, not a dictatorship.

I love hot sauce. Give me more, give me spicier, make it so hot I hallucinate. But here's the thing - I built up a tolerance and a taste for it over a long time, and I'm nearing 30 now.

I remember HATING spicy food as a kid. And most kids do, simply because at that age, in an undeveloped mouth, it's sensory overload and downright painful.

This woman was wrong for doing what she did and I hope she's convicted.

Hot sauce - What a novel punishment! No long-lasting damage so I don't see why people are so up in arms, although it could provoke a life long fear or mexican or indian food! A cold shower is a bit cruel though, sounds like a very Victorian style punishment.

we will beg to differ. kids needn't feel fear in any form.

Fear I meant was that if he does something wrong, there will be a punishment so he should fear that. If he does, then he will be less likely to do it anymore.

I have a 18yr old niece that fears nothing. She is not scared of cops, not scared of her parents...nothing. She posts online that she drives around drinking and smoking pot. She has been arrested a couple times already as well. My sister never made her do what she needed to do and would rather let her run wild that being a parent to her. I half expect her to wind up in jail sometimes and maybe then, she will learn her lesson. Hope it doesnt come to that, but it may have to.

I have another niece, 15 years old. She knows what to do and how to do it. If she doesnt do what she is asked, she gets punished and grounded. If she mouths off, she gets smacked in the face. At first, she got smacked a lot but now she knows whats coming and adjusts her attitude. Her and her mom have a great relationship and she is a really good kid since her mom put her in check.

I know we have a difference of opinion, maybe its the age difference..who knows. All I know is that growing up, kids respected their parents and its not nearly the same today. Now you cannot spank your kids (if you ever got spanked as a kid, didnt really hurt) or do a lot of other things. I didnt ever thing it was a bad thing as long as it didnt scare the kids and I always thought it made kids better. I mean, you never heard about kids shooting up a school 20...30 years ago. Now you do and a bunch of other stuff as well. You can blame society and the world influences as well but I think it parents were parents, and allowed to be so, then maybe we wouldnt have the issues we have now.

Of course, this is all my opinion. :)

The only reason all you people can sit there and judge is ONLY because of technology. TV's, Internet, video cameras, cell phones. If it wasn't on the local news when I was growing up nobody hardly knew about it. This is mild at best.

As a parent you have to find the hook that will get your kids attention. The hot sauce really didn't get his attention too much. No crying, wiggling or sobbing. The shower on the other hand got his attention. It may make him thing twice about what he did next time.

Was it right, maybe. Was it wrong, maybe. All I know is that I have a greater love and respect for my parents. If they gave me hot sauce I would have laughed. A cold shower, please...I would have been saying sweet this a awesome. They needed to kick it up many levels above that to get my attention. As a parent now, I understand. I do not have to go to the places that my parent had to but I still have to find that "hook" that my kid responds to and it is always changing.

And to those saying to put her in jail and rot? Please, that is crazy. Don't sit back and judge and say "man I wouldn't do that". It is a psycological battle most of the time. The parents need to win most of the battles to win the war. We need to lose some of the battles to give the kids some confidence but very infrequent because once that train get rolling it is hard to stop. Kids now days are too coddled and expect everything on a silver platter.

Just my opinion

On the one hand the child's crying really made me feel for him. Poor kid. On the other hand, I bet he'll think long and hard before doing the same thing again.