[IPv4] That's it folks....!

From http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

What Are the Laws Regarding DTV?

In 1996, Congress authorized the distribution of an additional broadcast channel to each broadcast TV station so that they could use it for digital broadcasting while simultaneously continuing their analog broadcast channel.

Later, Congress mandated June 12, 2009 (extended from February 17, 2009) as the last day for full-power television stations in the U.S. to broadcast in analog. Before June 12, 2009, broadcast stations in all U.S. markets were transmitting in both analog and digital. Since June 13, 2009, all full-power U.S. TV stations have been transmitting in digital only.

So in your home, you will not find a analog box anywhere or a analog tv that will function without a digital converter box. Without this push, they would still be stations in analog that you could get without a digital converter and cable would still be a hybrid system (digital and analog).

Cable networks are technically private though, so most cable networks are still sendign a basic set of analog channels. while at the same time providing a full feature digital with multiple packages and internet. and they're unlikely to stop sending in analog as long as the machines still work.

Not as of right now. Let see how long it is going to take for the internet to go to ipv6, especially with everyone saying that they have no money....place your bets, I think 10+ years (little to no implementation yet, financial costs are high to switch, most technology in place today will not support it, and in current businesses eyes their businesses are functioning). It has to be a push from the outside to force them into the next generation, without this push it isn't happening anytime soon. If the US government didn't push cable providers to go with digital, analog cable would still be around today.

Maybe not "now", now, but sooner rather than later. We can make all the technologies in the world that can alleviate the exhaustion, but one way or another IPv6 will come. Most likely companies will be dual stacking.

Cable networks are technically private though, so most cable networks are still sendign a basic set of analog channels. while at the same time providing a full feature digital with multiple packages and internet. and they're unlikely to stop sending in analog as long as the machines still work.

Here is a question, if the government didn't step in and push this mandate would the cable providers have switched to a full on digital network (for example, I have comcast and there are no analog channels being pushed on the network that I subscribe to).

what channels are analog? I'd like to know, because when I hook up the cable line to my analog tv, I get nothing (letting autoscan do its thing).

that would depend on your cable network. but the law doesn't state anything about the cable networks needing to close down analog. and very few have, because for them it's good marketing that if you have cable you can hook up as many tv's as you want without needing a box or a new DTV-C(or whatever you use) set. and then they can sell up decoders or CAM's for the peopel who want bigger channel packs and digital HDTV and such.

Maybe not "now", now, but sooner rather than later. We can make all the technologies in the world that can alleviate the exhaustion, but one way or another IPv6 will come. Most likely companies will be dual stacking.

Sooner, meaning in my life time, or sooner meaning we are quite a few years out, or sooner meaning by the end of the year. Christmas is coming soon (at the end of this year Christmas will be here). The end of the world is coming soon (might happen towards the end of 2012 or may happen when someone decides to start launching nukes, the end of the world is at someones fingertips). The sun will burn out soon (technically in a few million years, but this is relatively soon compared to the life of the universe).

Sooner, meaning in my life time, or sooner meaning we are quite a few years out, or sooner meaning by the end of the year. Christmas is coming soon. The end of the world is coming soon. The sun will burn out soon.

A few months. At least 6 to 9 before addresses are used up.

From http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

What Are the Laws Regarding DTV?

In 1996, Congress authorized the distribution of an additional broadcast channel to each broadcast TV station so that they could use it for digital broadcasting while simultaneously continuing their analog broadcast channel.

Later, Congress mandated June 12, 2009 (extended from February 17, 2009) as the last day for full-power television stations in the U.S. to broadcast in analog. Before June 12, 2009, broadcast stations in all U.S. markets were transmitting in both analog and digital. Since June 13, 2009, all full-power U.S. TV stations have been transmitting in digital only.

So in your home, you will not find a analog box anywhere or a analog tv that will function without a digital converter box. Without this push, they would still be stations in analog that you could get without a digital converter and cable would still be a hybrid system (digital and analog).

uh you said digital cable... broadcasting isn't cable its OTA..... and as for cable it will always be a "hybrid" system there will always be analog channels because they need them for noise floor testing... and broadcast digital transition didn't make cable switch to digital..... cable started switching to digital in the mid 90's to begin with because of running out of spectrum on RF coax

Here is a question, if the government didn't step in and push this mandate would the cable providers have switched to a full on digital network (for example, I have comcast and there are no analog channels being pushed on the network that I subscribe to).

maybe not to you, but I have comcast also in western pa and right now we have 56 analogs and 310 digitals..... government didn't push this on them, heck they tried to stop the analog to digital cable conversion for local stations at first because "poor people couldnt see it on their tv's without a box" as of this year the gov stoped caring about that and from 2011 up you will see all analogs going away.... this isn't a gov push but a cable push, digital costs less then analog to run on a cable network, no D/A converters, more channels, faster cable internet due to more space open for channel bonding.... etc...

Digital Cable != DTV

so. if you have cable internet.. it's time to get a DOCSIS 3 modem and windows vista or 7... and time to update your router firmware.

DOCSIS 3 and Windows 7 here on all the pc's

All Done ! :D