The new Gawker / Kotaku / Gizmodo layout is terrible

Question

Agreed. The new layout for the Gawker websites looks as if someone had a look at an iPad app and thought 'Hmm, I wonder if I can port its look and feel to a website.' The result is messy.

Yeah, I can picture this working *really* well on an ipad (Will check when I get home...) but for everything else it's total garbage :/

EDIT

It doesn't work on the iPad. The new design I mean. Doesn't work on the iPhone either.

ew maybe not then :| Why design the perfect layout for tablets and then not use it :/

And so far I am the one person who has chosen "I might get used to it."

Honestly, I never thought the last layout was all that special either, but I just got used to it eventually as well.

This new layout really just looks like an iPad app in a browser to me.

And so far I am the one person who has chosen "I might get used to it."

Honestly, I never thought the last layout was all that special either, but I just got used to it eventually as well.

This new layout really just looks like an iPad app in a browser to me.

To me, accessibility is one of the biggest things to keep in mind as far as web design. For example, the scroll wheel on my mouse at home is starting to break. That means unless I use the arrows button on my keyboard ( which becomes very unmanageable if you test it out), it would be very difficult for me to browse through the articles. Another thing I noticed is that if you use anything less than a 1024 x 768 resolution, you won't be able to browse the articles either.

Meh, the new design is alright, but I don't like it still. Yes it's easier for me to navigate on it, but I want to kill it with fire still! AHH. Oh well, Time to give Engadget a try.

What were they thinking? It's quite awful. Is there an option to view the site with the previous layout?

I don't usually visit any of those sites, but aesthetically I like it. There's a lot that is just inexcusably broken though;

It took a refresh to get any of the sites to load any content into either column.

The right column never finishes loading it's content

The browser forward/back buttons don't work.

To be honest, it's like they just plain didn't test it before releasing it.

I stopped using io9 once they changed it. I mean it looks nice however, it is not as easy to use as the old sites were. :(

While there was room for improvement with the old design, it functioned very well. Often times, I'd click on the article because of an intriguing picture, which would end in me researching more about the said topic, beyond the website itself. The new presentation seems to offer little in getting people to read into the articles, and the classic view, while somewhat better, still looks very generic and loses the appeal the old site had.

I'm not one to really bitch and complain about layouts like the Facebook fanatics do, but I can't think how scrolling for the article and the topics separately is a good idea. :ermm:

I guess they figure that since they became the laughingstock of the internet, they may as well look the part too.

:rofl: nice (Y)

Can't see a thing - only a logo for each site and a load of white space.

And me computer goes veeeeeereeeee slooooooooooooooooooowly...

Oh well. Time to avoid and stick to Neowin ;-)

In Classic view, the site is fine. And Davo, I guess you're talking about Giz, with Lifehacker I find it an interesting site to read, and probably visit it more often than Giz.

I guess they figure that since they became the laughingstock of the internet, they may as well look the part too.

Gizmodo's antics are pretty much the only "laughingstock" part of the Gawker network I've ever heard of.

I like the unified approach, but the actual application is shoddy, at best. Using two separately scrolling frames for the article and the headlines is horrible. Why would you not make it so they both scroll at the same time? It's a major nuisance.