Windows Phone Update

Today is the rumored date of release.. what are the odds we'll even see it this week? :) Besides the obvious features coming i hope they fixed the zune music playback skipping issue

So far it's been quiet, not looking good for the rumor turning out true it seems, unless it's late in the day. I'm guessing we'll have to pin our hopes on it coming out on the day they do their MWC event then. IF they're going to be talking about a future bigger update at MWC the first, smaller one, has to be out on that day at least.

How would it possibly come out on a single day that could be organised. It's up to the manufacturers and networks to develop and test. They all run to a different schedule.

How would it possibly come out on a single day that could be organised. It's up to the manufacturers and networks to develop and test. They all run to a different schedule.

Well Microsoft want to roll out the update to everyone at the same time, so presumably we have to wait for every OEM and carrier to finish their additions / testing and properly packaged and signed off before they can do it.

Well Microsoft want to roll out the update to everyone at the same time, so presumably we have to wait for every OEM and carrier to finish their additions / testing and properly packaged and signed off before they can do it.

Hmm, so everyone signs off on it but Microsoft actually push the update out I see. I guess we will find out how this is all going to work.

I wish they would at least announced "shipped to carriers" or something like that so we could put pressure on at&t or whomever to expedite delivery. If att starts lagging behind on updates compared to other markets then as a consumer i want to know that so i can change my plan to another carrier. If MS wants to sit on things for eternity i want to know that so i can shop around for other phones as well. MS also shouldn't pay the price for crappy carriers as well.

I wish they would at least announced "shipped to carriers" or something like that so we could put pressure on at&t or whomever to expedite delivery. If att starts lagging behind on updates compared to other markets then as a consumer i want to know that so i can change my plan to another carrier. If MS wants to sit on things for eternity i want to know that so i can shop around for other phones as well. MS also shouldn't pay the price for crappy carriers as well.

I believe someone from Microsoft tweeted a few weeks ago that that OS update was done and in carrier's hands at the moment to test the firmware. But I think it's also important to note the HTC & Samsung also have updated drivers and device specific bug fixes they need to add in after Microsoft provided the finished updated OS to them (not least to solve HTC's unresponsive touch screen issue on the Trophy / Surround and Samsungs WiFi drivers), which they have to put in and test, and THEN the carriers have to test that firmware seeing as they'll be the ones selling those devices. It'd be preferable if we didn't have to wait for *every* device manufacturer and carrier to their tests, but atleast it makes sure everyone gets it done instead of leaving devices out.

No, the update will not be released at MWC. A few weeks after that.

Wow.. if it is that far out, they should have just skipped this update all together.

Headline after patch:

"4 months for an update and still no custom ringtones.. lame"

I think MS said they do most of the carrier and OEM testing themselves as well before they hand it over to them to cut down on the time it takes, still though it's looking like we have to wait. But you guys are right any OEM changes are added to the updated image and then sent back to MS to push out when it's done.

It's both good and bad that we all have to wait for everyone to finish before they push it out, but at least we all get it together and not just some people while others have to wait, like on Android. So it's win-lose I guess.

No, the update will not be released at MWC. A few weeks after that.

You guessing or do you have actual inside info about this? A few weeks after MWC is damn March, wth. That would make it 4 months if we go with the Nov 8th US retail date, which in the end isn't that bad, but still, the update isn't even looking to be that big. If it's going to take this long for small updates then how long will we have to wait for the bigger ones?

This is one of those times that I wish a company was a little more open about what's going on.

I agree, but if the dealy is because of one of MS's partners they probably don't want to say and thus start any sorta bad rep going. Last thing you need right now is to lose someone, that doesn't help WP7 at all.

There seems to be an update to Zune which would mean they are preparing for the update which I would guess is still weeks away

Ya, I just heard about this and am updating now. Though I read that the version number doesn't change, so I have no idea what this actually updates. Zune team isn't saying either, maybe it's more of a test than a actual update to the client itself?

*edit*

After updating it seems this was a nice little performance update, it seems to start very fast now and just in general seems to work faster.

Update 2: While the overall version number is the same, two components have changed as noted by reader mparker: ZuneWmdu.dll and ZuneWmduResources.dll. are both now v4.7.1407. Microsoft's support page in fact mentions these as needed for the software backup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498092 So this does look like a prep for the 'NoDo' update.

I've seen noticeable performance improvement in loading Zune now, haven't had a chance to actually use it yet.

Probably just a placebo effect from having it updated, seeing as it was just a Quick Fix update that changes only a few files directly related to device updating, nothing else changed - hence probably why no boost in version number.

Probably just a placebo effect from having it updated, seeing as it was just a Quick Fix update that changes only a few files directly related to device updating, nothing else changed - hence probably why no boost in version number.

May be :laugh: I will report back in a few days.

I've seen noticeable performance improvement in loading Zune now, haven't had a chance to actually use it yet.

Restart Windows and then run Zune.

Right now, the software could be placed in your RAM already. :)

So i'm not sure if Microsoft is just trolling us or what, but this tweet just 3 hours ago gives the impression that the update coming very soon, but the link is just referring to the developer update that has copy and paste....

So i'm not sure if Microsoft is just trolling us or what, but this tweet just 3 hours ago gives the impression that the update coming very soon, but the link is just referring to the developer update that has copy and paste....

hehe, that is a big tease.. come on MS.. release the bad boy!

Some say otherwise but I think they're going to release it at their MWC event next week (others say it'll be at the end of Feb though but I hope not).

The best thing for MS to do at their event would be to rundown a quick list of things in the first update, then say it's now live for download, THEN go right into the next bigger update to close off the show. Any future Zune marketplace expansion news would also be a welcome sight.

Some say otherwise but I think they're going to release it at their MWC event next week (others say it'll be at the end of Feb though but I hope not).

The best thing for MS to do at their event would be to rundown a quick list of things in the first update, then say it's now live for download, THEN go right into the next bigger update to close off the show. Any future Zune marketplace expansion news would also be a welcome sight.

If they can't do some quick updates, at least upgrade individual components. I would love to be able to choose sync groups through live.com, see the bing search updated to include image search and visual search, so on and so forth - not all requiring OS updates