[Poll] Hardware Build and Upgrade's

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you build your own or buy pre-built?

• Build
    • Pre-built
  2. 2. How often do you upgrade your hardware?

• 0-1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5+ years (Specify)
    • Null (I don't upgrade parts)
  3. 3. How often do you build a new rig?

• 0-1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5+ years
    • Null (I buy pre-built)

So how often do you do the above? I buy pre-built HP Desktops, but I will be building my own in 3 years or so because I just upgraded mine.

I build.

I never upgrade.

I build new about every 3 years. Maybe 4.

I guess I will upgrade my HTPC with new hard drives as they get full, but I wouldn't call that upgrading as such. In fact, it's likely until PC's become very small or something else very significant happens with the technology, then this particular PC will probably never be upgraded.

i build my own, but i upgrade every time a new version of ram comes out so i will upgrade once DDR4 becomes mainstream and cheap which works out 2-3 years

Pre built, have upgraded parts before but not recently.

Only ever owned 2 PC's, my 2004 desktop and my laptop.

Been building my on rigs since the 486sx. I just never found the appeal to buy a pre build system with a high end price and low end parts.

I build a new rig about every 4 years but will upgrade as needed.

I build my own systems.

Usually upgrade ram or hdd after about 2-3 years.

And new system..well last one i build was 2004, and then 2009. So future build will be in 2015 or so if i am alive by then :D

Me and my brother both build our own.

We never really upgrade parts unless they're replacements, and we generally build new rigs every three years.

I'd rather do large new builds rather than constant upgrades.

I've always built my own PCs, and I generally upgrade/build a new rig every two years or so.

I chose two years both because I used to upgrade certain components every couple of years for a long time, but as of recently I've decided to put that money towards an entirely new systems rather than wasting it on upgrades.

• 4 weeks later...

-Build (only build 1 PC for myself, which i did in 2006, prior to that was all pre-built)

-2 (if your counting Hard Drives as 'upgrades' as that's the most common thing i upgrade as you can't have enough space as it inevitably runs out eventually no matter how much i have)

-4 (i would say "IF" i have the cash building a new PC once every 3-4 years sounds about right. but my current PC is March 2006, i have upgraded CPU/GPU though but for the most part my PC is 5 years old and i don't see me getting a new PC into the foreseeable future)

Always build my own, never owned a off the shelf machine and likely never will.

I usually upgrade some parts after a couple of years like ram, HDD maybe a GFX card.

New build every 4-5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I built my own.

I'll probably upgrade the processor, motherboard, or graphics card in another year or so (built it a year ago, so it'd be 2 years old by the time I do a major upgrade)

This is my first build, and I'm hoping it'll last at least 4 years before I need to build a new one.

built my own, upgrade at least one part of the systems every couple of years. However it tends to be over 5 years for new builds, just don;t see the point of rebuilding if the system works fine :)