Marijuana use may speed psychosis

I don't know if I have any family history of mental illness, but I stopped smoking weed because of the mild hallucinations I was getting. I had been smoking it for about 4 years and nothing happened until I started smoking the more potent stuff (B.C, I'm looking at you) more often. My best friend's brother developed schizophrenia and he was a HEAVY pot smoker, which is why I advised him to do what I did.

A good idea would be to research your family history and not take any chances.

So, just smoke some more and forget about being psychotic!! :blink:

Personally,

I think it's a bunch of crap!!

I know MANY, MANY people in their late 50's and early 60's who smoke the heck out of the stuff, and they're just as normal as anyone else.

My grandpa smoked a pack and a half a day till his death by stroke in his 80's. No lung cancer or anything ever happened to him so therefor smoking must not cause Lung Cancer :rolleyes:.

This. And if you can't glean for yourself that a psychoactive drug may lead to psychosis if you're predisposed, then its probably least of your worries.

I am in no way defending the use of marijuana, though I come at it from a different angle. Most of the studies that I've seen, at least those that are interested in it from a purely research standpoint seem to be very diverse in exactly what it does do, if anything. In all honesty, THC might actually do nothing... period (benefit or harm). If this is the case, it obviously has no benefit at all. It isn't a stimulant, depressant or hallucinogen; yet it kind of is all three. A lot of studies seem to actually point to the interpreted beliefs of the user (i.e. if you think you're going to get high, you'll get high). I myself of course have never used the substance. It is a schedule I drug and very illegal. I, however, did have a friend that tried it a few times in high school and college, and claimed that she never felt anything at all. She would try it from time to time expecting to feel something, but nothing ever happened. Eventually after a few times, she simply could not justify wasting her money, and gave up.

As for psychoactive drugs putting those more predisposed of psychosis on edge, that could be true. However, how does one regulate alcohol, tobacco and caffeine at a sufficient rate to keep this to a minimum. If you ever want to read some interesting studies, and you may have already... look into schizophrenia and caffeine.

I am in no way defending the use of marijuana, though I come at it from a different angle. Most of the studies that I've seen, at least those that are interested in it from a purely research standpoint seem to be very diverse in exactly what it does do, if anything. In all honesty, THC might actually do nothing... period (benefit or harm). If this is the case, it obviously has no benefit at all. It isn't a stimulant, depressant or hallucinogen; yet it kind of is all three. A lot of studies seem to actually point to the interpreted beliefs of the user (i.e. if you think you're going to get high, you'll get high). I myself of course have never used the substance. It is a schedule I drug and very illegal. I, however, did have a friend that tried it a few times in high school and college, and claimed that she never felt anything at all. She would try it from time to time expecting to feel something, but nothing ever happened. Eventually after a few times, she simply could not justify wasting her money, and gave up.

As for psychoactive drugs putting those more predisposed of psychosis on edge, that could be true. However, how does one regulate alcohol, tobacco and caffeine at a sufficient rate to keep this to a minimum. If you ever want to read some interesting studies, and you may have already... look into schizophrenia and caffeine.

she wasnt smoking right... that or she never smoked actually. it will effect you.

and very illegal? in most states it a minor crime, if that. of course I dont know where you live :p. but here in oregon if you dont try lying to the cop, they will likley just take your weed and be on there way, no fine or anything.

This sh*t's been known for years, but there will always be those that say it's a bunch of lies just to justify it's use and deny their addiction. I tried it only once and it gave me an unbearable 4 day migraine. Nasty stuff!!!

Now, for medical treatment use (i.e. as a chronic pain killer) that's another story, as long as it remains under medical control. And that is also a proven fact.

Honestly, it sounds like your allergic, even if only mildly. Either that or it's all in your head because there is no chance under normal circumstances that the effects of Marijuana could be felt for 4 days. Even after a heavy smoking session returning to normal should only take around 6-10 hours. That's including the change in a persons eyes as well. So 4 days after 1 joint makes no sense.

Honestly, it sounds like your allergic, even if only mildly. Either that or it's all in your head because there is no chance under normal circumstances that the effects of Marijuana could be felt for 4 days. Even after a heavy smoking session returning to normal should only take around 6-10 hours. That's including the change in a persons eyes as well. So 4 days after 1 joint makes no sense.

He most likely smoked some thing other than pot.

she wasnt smoking right... that or she never smoked actually. it will effect you.

and very illegal? in most states it a minor crime, if that. of course I dont know where you live :p. but here in oregon if you dont try lying to the cop, they will likley just take your weed and be on there way, no fine or anything.

I think I'll try this another way. Are you going to feel the a hit from smoking marijuana... probably. Is it worth the effort, no. Again, it is basically what some call mild stimulant, depressant and hallucinogenic properties. Most research seems to show that it is hard to classify as to what it actually does to a person (outside of maybe making one really hungry). There are better options out there. If one were to want a real hallucinogenic, not that I would suggest this, but there is LSD/Psycho bins. If you want a depressant, there is alcohol or benzos. As for stimulants, amphetamines or dextroamphetamine (or a cup of coffee) would probably work better. As for my reference to it being a crime, it's a Schedule I drug and though it is often left up to the state, it is a severe violation of federal law with the potential of prison, though unlikely, for even having possession. Amphetamines, methamphetamine and even coke (not crack) is schedule II, and less likely to get you into trouble. In summary, marijuana is simply not worth the effort. There are much better alternatives out there if someone is going to partake in behavior like that.

All marijuana has ever done for me is get me high.... and hungry.

I sometimes do it before/during large programming sessions at home.... it boosts creativity and leaves me wondering how the %#$@ I did that the next day.

The only reason I think people get paranoid on pot is because it is illegal and they feel that people may know they are high etc (In public places).

Forming a mental disorder? very unlikely unless you are f'd in the head in the first place.

Then again, it's not for everyone but the people who are mentally healthy and take it in moderation seem very relaxed and chill to be around.

I know people who have done it for years in moderation, and I don't see them going jason on anyone.

I sometimes do it before/during large programming sessions at home.... it boosts creativity and leaves me wondering how the %#$@ I did that the next day.

This. Crazy how that works huh? I also wrote my best code in college - and later in my professional work as a web developer, while completely and utterly wasted.

I also finally went back and graduated with a BS in Computer Science at 37 years old - with a 3.96 GPA - stoned the whole time.

The crazy thoughts that went through my head? "Dam, I don't remember there being this many little hawties the first time I went to college 20 years ago!" :p

Edit: Let me add, it wasn't the pot that helped with the GPA of course. There is some different angle you come at college with when you're 37 years old and looking at possibly your last-chance in life to retrain yourself and must bring-it to compete with some very smart (and young) classmates.

There are so many instances where words such as May, Could and Maybe are used in that article, it makes you wonder wtf do these guys do to actually research the subject because they are clearly not getting any answers or valid conclusions. What really kills me is people that already want to believe that this is the devil drug will lap this rubbish up and use it to fuel their biased ignorance. I would welcome a proper scientific investigation that bought forth facts and not maybes and would gladly step down from defending the drug if it were proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it causes psychosis, something this article does not in any way do.

I assume the CNN link is referring to this study:

Archives Link

Look at how the research was done. They studied friggen medical records. They can't glean this conclusion with any certainty from a study of records.

Every study I've read that looks objectively at marijuana use finds actual postitive merits to its use.

This includes studies from Isreal where cannibis has seen the most extensive medical use trials.

As far as paranoia being a symptom as someone said, it's not. Paranoia is a symptom of doing something illegal.

Follow the money to find out whose interest this study serves. I would wager the study was funded by someone who has something to gain from spreading the FUD in order to continue the arguement that it should remain illegal.

I recently watched a UK special called Marijuana, what's the harm. What I found out is that having it illegal caused the most harm, even though the British 'star' (i've never heard of him across the pond in Canada) who was hosting the show tried to show all kinds of problems resulting in cannabis use.

The show was fairly biased against the drug, citing that it's the problem. They even interviewed a guy who was the senior science advisor to the british parliment who was terminated after he recommended the full on legalization of marijuana and ecstasy, citing a criminal record as the biggest harm the drug causes.

A quote from that show which I found entirely too true on with regards to this subject is this: "Once you make something illegal, you cannot have a rational conversation about it with any politician"

The economics of legalising the substance are much greater than that of keeping it illegal.

Right now tax dollars around the world are spent on law enforcement and criminal sentences, and in some countries, even death, for what could be turned into a viable industry for the recreational user and medical users alike.

Once the plant comes out of the shadows, and is accepted, real useable statistical data can be collected.

As long as it's illegal throughout the world, any study conducted where it is illegal is immediately tainted, and thus invalid.

I assume the CNN link is referring to this study:

Archives Link

Look at how the research was done. They studied friggen medical records. They can't glean this conclusion with any certainty from a study of records.

Every study I've read that looks objectively at marijuana use finds actual postitive merits to its use.

This includes studies from Isreal where cannibis has seen the most extensive medical use trials.

As far as paranoia being a symptom as someone said, it's not. Paranoia is a symptom of doing something illegal.

Follow the money to find out whose interest this study serves. I would wager the study was funded by someone who has something to gain from spreading the FUD in order to continue the arguement that it should remain illegal.

I recently watched a UK special called Marijuana, what's the harm. What I found out is that having it illegal caused the most harm, even though the British 'star' (i've never heard of him across the pond in Canada) who was hosting the show tried to show all kinds of problems resulting in cannabis use.

The show was fairly biased against the drug, citing that it's the problem. They even interviewed a guy who was the senior science advisor to the british parliment who was terminated after he recommended the full on legalization of marijuana and ecstasy, citing a criminal record as the biggest harm the drug causes.

A quote from that show which I found entirely too true on with regards to this subject is this: "Once you make something illegal, you cannot have a rational conversation about it with any politician"

The economics of legalising the substance are much greater than that of keeping it illegal.

Right now tax dollars around the world are spent on law enforcement and criminal sentences, and in some countries, even death, for what could be turned into a viable industry for the recreational user and medical users alike.

Once the plant comes out of the shadows, and is accepted, real useable statistical data can be collected.

As long as it's illegal throughout the world, any study conducted where it is illegal is immediately tainted, and thus invalid.

Couldn't have said it better myself really (Y)