HTC Wildfire question

Is it possible to turn off 3g on a htc wildfire, the reason I ask this is because I have been told that you can and also that you cannot.

My dad recently went out to get a phone and was told by the man in a virgin media store that you cannot turn off 3g on the htc wildfire at all, so unless you are on a internet based contract you will be constantly charged. I however, asked a guy in a different phone shop and was told that you can apparently disable 3g completely when you first start the phone up.

Any answers?

You can turn mobile internet off on any android phone so yes.

It's pretty simple to do, just hold down the power button and the options there or go to settings>wireless and networks. Tell the guy in the virgin shop he's an idiot and don't give him your money.

So I can disable 3g but leave wi-fi on then? Thought so, just like the guy told me god knows who my dad was chatting to in the phone shop.

Yup.

You can also do it the other way round just in case your crazy.

• 1 month later...

From the mixed reactions stopping data though would technically stop the wi-fi to? Can you disable 3g but leave wi-fi need a 100% certain answer before I purchase the phone.

Disable Mobile Data in the settings > Wireless & Networks option. Wireless stays on as it's not called 'mobile data' in the phone, it's called 'wi-fi'. The phone doesn't treat them the same.

The other trick is to hold down the power button until the menu appears and turn mobile data off that way.