Argh, Windows 7 is annoying the hell out of me!

It speeds up mine. :rolleyes:

sure it does...

it might speed up some localized stuff, but on average you will in most causes cause overall slowdown or reduced fucntionality of important systems.

As far as I am concerned, if you feel it's necessary to disable services to make your OS usable, then your computer shouldn't be running that OS in the first place.

As for CCleaner... good bit of software for cleaning out junk, but anyone expecting a boot time performance will be disappointed

LOL -- I thought Windows 7 was the end all, be all of existence -- and anyone who dosen't rush to Upgrade is retarded.

Yet I read about problem after problem with it.

So amusing. :laugh:

LOL -- I thought Windows 7 was the end all, be all of existence -- and anyone who dosen't rush to Upgrade is retarded.

Most of those problems are related to user stupidity, Windows 7 has been flawless for most people

In many cases - just like this thread - problems with Windows 7 come down to either PEBCAK or hardware issues. As others have said - for most users 7 runs very well.

Besides, I seem to recall that people had much more problems with XP during the first two years after its release.

Nothing wrong with stopping services to save up some memory and to stop things I will never use (windows defender, printer services, security centre service ect).

Idle serivces don't "offload" out of memory(SOMETHING LINUX DOES) just use task manager and benchamrks to see that for yourself, I know its only a few meg here and a few disks write there but if its something il never use id rather have it off.

its fine if you think windows 7 is perfect and don't want to mess with it but il like to customize I also spent alot of time reading how everything works and id never complain if "I" broke something as id just fix it ^-^ been running windows 7 since day1 all is good :) also running a custom xp I made barebones runing as a home server.

Perhaps if you stopped ****ing with settings like that then things would work right. People who treat Windows 7 as if it were Windows 98 or XP are the ones who always have the problems, it seems. Install the OS, install the software you need, and leave it the **** alone!!!

Congrats on just make me lose all interest in Windows 7, if I want to play with my own computer I will and I expect it to perform with my new configuration to the best of it's abilities

Congrats on just make me lose all interest in Windows 7, if I want to play with my own computer I will and I expect it to perform with my new configuration to the best of it's abilities

Go right ahead and play with any setting you want. Just don't expect that it will magically make things work faster or better. In most cases, just like the case with this thread, ****ing with critical system files is going to have an adverse effect on the system.

Go right ahead and play with any setting you want. Just don't expect that it will magically make things work faster or better. In most cases, just like the case with this thread, ****ing with critical system files is going to have an adverse effect on the system.

I have to agree with our angry friend here, messing with Windows key files will result in a slower response if not just make your system unstable. Anyway's I think this thread is going no were now.

No it doesn't. Disabling services does not make your computer faster.

Well tbh depends what you mean by faster, if you mean it will get better benchmarks etc then yeah its not gona make it faster, and if the comp is alright spec wise then you wont notice and performance improvements. But with regard to boot times, disabling certain services can speed this up, not necessarily Microsoft services but more software related ones such as WLM, Acronis, Sony Erricson, Apple services, Steam (examples on mine that are disabled), disabling them and a few others on my comp made boot times 5seconds quicker, granted not much, but im using a ssd and i didn't see any point in them being loaded up taking up boot time and ram space, when i hardly use them. And also if its a crap specd comp then yeah disabling some services (again software ones) will increase performance as it will mean more ram is free and less things will need to be loaded up during boot

Just leave the PC on 24 hours a day .. you won't notice any 'boot time' problems then! .. that's what I do ..

Back to the original question though , I have to agree with the folk who are pointing the finger at the *green* drive .. they are not really at their best as a boot drive!

Change that to a WD black and move the green to an enclosure for back-ups and that should do the trick nicely!!

Go back and read the statement that I was replying to. He is messing with far more than services.msc.

Yeah, because when I posted my problems on the official Microsoft website, they told me to change those settings, heh.

You must have only been reading topics where I was replying to people who did insanely stupid stuff, then blamed others (or their computers) for the problems. At nearly 40 years old, I'm pretty much fed up with that kind of BS.

Why does your age take in to account anything that's being spoken of here? You should be taking care of your wife and kids, not being angry at people on an internet forum and swear like a juvenile delinquent.

Nonetheless, my PC seems to be getting slower and slower. I just freshly installed it a little less than 2 months ago. I will admit that I am a heavy downloader using jDownloader and torrents, but I always delete any excess files and I have a really organized folder scheme going on. When my PC starts up, it is just loading something for about 5-10 minutes when I check out the resource manager, and it seems svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetwork) is writing something to my disk at high speed, which is why my light is always solid, but this wasn't there just a few days ago... But this is exactly what happened to my other HD.

What does anyone think it is, that since I am downloading too much files, that it has to cache everything to the disk at every startup? I have no clue anymore.

Why does your age take in to account anything that's being spoken of here? You should be taking care of your wife and kids, not being angry at people on an internet forum and swear like a juvenile delinquent.

Nonetheless, my PC seems to be getting slower and slower. I just freshly installed it a little less than 2 months ago. I will admit that I am a heavy downloader using jDownloader and torrents, but I always delete any excess files and I have a really organized folder scheme going on. When my PC starts up, it is just loading something for about 5-10 minutes when I check out the resource manager, and it seems svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetwork) is writing something to my disk at high speed, which is why my light is always solid, but this wasn't there just a few days ago... But this is exactly what happened to my other HD.

What does anyone think it is, that since I am downloading too much files, that it has to cache everything to the disk at every startup? I have no clue anymore.

sounds like a virus to me...

It sounds like your drive is re-indexing its self after all the downloading that you are doing ... you may want to disable indexing ...

Or add an exclusion, if that's the issue. Pretty much anything and everything wants to dump stuff in your documents directory for example. Between Visual Studio, a few BioWare games with a ton of mods, etc etc.. there's a gazillion files being indexed that I don't really need to know (or care) about, let alone having indexed in the first place.

In many cases - just like this thread - problems with Windows 7 come down to either PEBCAK or hardware issues. As others have said - for most users 7 runs very well.

Besides, I seem to recall that people had much more problems with XP during the first two years after its release.

The only major problems I had with Windows XP, were burning CD's, incompatible drivers, and the ocassional Update which caused some problem.

I finally figured out to simply slow down the burning speed.

Hardware makers got with it, and made better drivers.

And Microsoft corrected Update flaws.

Overall, my Windows XP journey has been a pleasant one. :happy: It does what I want.

I will briefly restate how baffling it is why people are so hung-up on 'boot times'.

What are you going to do with the extra 5 or 10 seconds, that your computer boots faster ??? :huh:

And I think it is downright shameful, those Windows 7 fanatics who bash XP and the people who don't rush to 'Upgrade'.

If you must have it -- fine.

There does seem to be just as many growing pains with Windows 7 as XP ever had.

So much for the 'nearly perfect' Windows 7 delusion. ;)

Installed my Windows 7 the day it came out. My PC is about 2.5-3 years old. It is still running fast, no problems with anything. Yea it slowed down a little but hey i did install a bunch of games and software. Even with 5GB of free space on the HDD i have no complaints on the speed of my PC. To me it doesn't seem to be a Windows 7 (Microsoft) problem. This is about HARDWARE slowing you down not SOFTWARE.

Nothing wrong with stopping services to save up some memory and to stop things I will never use (windows defender, printer services, security centre service ect).

Idle serivces don't "offload" out of memory(SOMETHING LINUX DOES) just use task manager and benchamrks to see that for yourself, I know its only a few meg here and a few disks write there but if its something il never use id rather have it off.

its fine if you think windows 7 is perfect and don't want to mess with it but il like to customize I also spent alot of time reading how everything works and id never complain if "I" broke something as id just fix it ^-^ been running windows 7 since day1 all is good :) also running a custom xp I made barebones runing as a home server.

Offloading tasks out of memory isn't some magic solution that makes your computer run faster, all that it does is pages data out of memory and into swap/paging, which Windows can also do FYI. And like I stated, if you really have such performance issues that a few extra MB of memory usage concerns you, then you shouldn't be using that OS. I have followed all sorts of tweak guides in both Windows 7, and XP, and have never had a memory saving of more than about 30MB from disabling services. And considering that I have 8 gigs of memory, that's peanuts.