Guitar buying dilemma

Which Guitar should i buy?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i buy?

• Ibanez AG95 Hollowbody
    • Gretsch Guitars G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody
    • Epiphone Emperor Swingster Hollowbody

Okay guys i am in college and i’m taking a guitar class and going for a major in music, right now i just bought a Epiphone PR-4E just for starting off since it was a good value but by the end of march or so i want to move off of my electric acoustic and onto a jazz hollowbody guitar here are my choices

441272832.jpg

1. The Epiphone Emperor Swingster Hollowbody Price $699, which i like because of the floral headstock and the pearl inlays also due to the fact that i like my acoustic Epiphone and want to stay on brand (same way with my electronics lol).

863424742t.jpg751914251t.jpg601535161t.jpg

2. The Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody Price $699 (Lots of good reviews and a nice sunburst finish) only thing i don't like is the boring fretboard.

336053556t.jpg358785527t.jpg963154401t.jpg

3. The Ibanez AG95 Hollowbody Price $549-$579 (Absolutely beautiful finish and knobs) only thing i don't like with this guitar is it's lacking the Bigsby.

687841179t.jpg660535924t.jpg409821553.jpg

Now any expert opinions?

<always been a fan of Gretsch. I'm not saying the others are inferior (I'm a bass guy, not a guitar guy) but I love Gretsches

Thanks for the feedback, i also like the Gretsch my nephew thinks i should get the sunburst one.

To me the Gretsch just screams blues/rockabily but you really can't go wrong with any of those.

I have the Epiphone Sheraton which would be the semi-hollowbody version of the Epiphone you're looking at and I love it but it needed new pickups, the stock weren't that great.

As for the Ibanez. since you're saving a bit of money and you love the finish maybe look in to getting a bigsby installed on it? That may be an option if you love the look of that one.

To me the Gretsch just screams blues/rockabily but you really can't go wrong with any of those.

I have the Epiphone Sheraton which would be the semi-hollowbody version of the Epiphone you're looking at and I love it but it needed new pickups, the stock weren't that great.

As for the Ibanez. since you're saving a bit of money and you love the finish maybe look in to getting a bigsby installed on it? That may be an option if you love the look of that one.

Meh doing that would make the Ibanez overpriced as the Bigsby's run for $159 for hollowbodys.

I could do that? wonder how much that would run for.

Well I did a bit more digging since I've only looked at it for a semi-hollow body and it looks like it's a tough thing to do on a hollow-body that wasn't designed for it in the first place. People in this harmony central thread are mentioning without having internal backing blocks on the anchor points it's not the best idea.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1506737.html

Ah well, it was an idea!

Well I did a bit more digging since I've only looked at it for a semi-hollow body and it looks like it's a tough thing to do on a hollow-body that wasn't designed for it in the first place. People in this harmony central thread are mentioning without having internal backing blocks on the anchor points it's not the best idea.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1506737.html

Ah well, it was an idea!

yeah don't want to ruin the guitar.

Have you played them all? Of the three, I would prefer the Gretsch. I don't like the necks on most Epiphones (nice size but oddly shaped), and depending on how Ibanez constructed the fretboard on that guitar, it might not be the best. They make great "fast" fretboards, but I've never picked up one of their bigger guitars and felt inspired by the action on it.

The Gretsch seems to be made out of the best wood, too. None of them seem to have very interesting pickups in them though, although that's easy to change. Definitely try them out un-amplified, as a hollowbody should sound great all by itself.

Have you played them all? Of the three, I would prefer the Gretsch. I don't like the necks on most Epiphones (nice size but oddly shaped), and depending on how Ibanez constructed the fretboard on that guitar, it might not be the best. They make great "fast" fretboards, but I've never picked up one of their bigger guitars and felt inspired by the action on it.

The Gretsch seems to be made out of the best wood, too. None of them seem to have very interesting pickups in them though, although that's easy to change. Definitely try them out un-amplified, as a hollowbody should sound great all by itself.

Yeah i was looking at getting the Gretsche but i keep hearing bad things about it cause the floating bridge makes the guitar go out of tune very easily.

• 1 month later...

That's hot Aaron. (Y). Congrats! Hope you like the feel of it!

Thanks man, need to lower the action a bit and that's it. :yes: