• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Games on Windows Server 2003

ZombieFly    221

has anyone managed to get any games to work on server 2003?

I cant even get battlefield dedicated server to run, or moh :( it has the nvidia detonators and direct x 9 on, but the games wont start up.

any ideas?

:huh:

nekrosoft13    722

games should work

do you get any error messeges?

did you check dxdiag to check video and sound if everything works ok

Keldyn    1

Under "display properties" > "Troubleshoot" tab move the "hardware acceleration" slider all the way across to the right.

Next...

Go to "start" > "run" > type "dxdiag" go to "display" tab and enable "direct draw acceleration", "Direct 3D Acceleration" and "AGP Texture Acceleration".

Games run just fine under Windows 2003 once you have everything configured correctly.

John    7

all i'm saying is that they'll run just like they do on xp as long as it's not a 16bit game.

ZombieFly    221

excellent, i'll give it a go thanks. [i've just done a fresh install of the OS] :yes:

PF Prophet    0

acctuly alot of 16bit games work just fine got a few i use regularly though i duno why some systems get ****y about it so *shrugs* oh well think its a trial and error basis on 16bit

John    7

i didn't say it won't work if it's a 16-bit game... :p

it depends on the game and on the hardware.

FrogBait4    0
acctuly alot of 16bit games work just fine...

I got Doom & ZDoom working OK on my 2003 Ent Ed HDD!... :p

ZombieFly    221

nope, tried everything suggested here and clicking battlefield icon results in.......... nothing. i've got a geforce 3 mx thingy with latest drivers. games just wont start up, however they did under 2000 using same hardware...

:(

Keldyn    1

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. Have you tried installing the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset?

Is everything enabled for you in dx display? (per screenshot)

post-77-1062855382.gif

ZombieFly    221

yes, drivers are up to date.

the agp accellerator thingy says its unavailable though.... :unsure:

AQUaDeX    0

Mmm have you enabled hardware acceleration?

Start > Control Panel > Appearence and Themes > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot and set as shown in the following screenie (full acceleration)

post-77-1062865376.jpg

Dashel    542

Um, its a SERVER OS..not a gaming station. That said it should work. Why did you mention running the BF dedicated if you are using this as a workstation? Sounds like you are having some kind of driver issue. What exactly to you mean by 'they won't start up'? You click on the icon and nothing happens? It crashes with or w/out error? Menu comes up but can't load map?

DOCa Cola    0
Um, its a SERVER OS..not a gaming station.

I am getting tired of this. Windows Server 2003 is nothing more than a windows xp with fewer unneeded stuff enabled and some server services that are disabled by standard. and it is not more expensive than win xp eval version.

i use it for gaming and i am very happy with it

DOCa Cola

Dashel    542

But WHY THE F--- WOULD YOU WANT TO??? Its like home users running Pro just cause they can. It works but is retarded. Plus I doubt any idiot that would install Server on a workstation paid for it...

XP eval version? You mean the 180 day time limited copy?

Edited by Dashel

+BudMan    3,544
and it is not more expensive than win xp eval version.

Um - huh?? What are you buying exactly - cuz standard copy of w2k3 is $2k - last time I check XP is nowhere in this range. Yes you could buy Academic lic, but not everyone able to do this. And most likely even you can get a copy at Academic pricing - your not really legal to be doing it!

And even if you can get Academic lic - the Academic lic of XP is alot less than w2k3 sever.

Your logic is COMPLETELY flawed no matter how you look it at - if you can get a legal copy of w2k3 at prices that make it doable for the average joe - then XP will be CHEAPER going the same route.

ZombieFly    221

I know its a server OS. I use this as a server, hence running battlefield dedicated server on it! :blink:

i previously hosted servers on my broadband connection for MOH and Battlefield. The server also doubles as a NAT router for 5 pc's in a shared house.

When I run the apps no log is written, no windows appear, the hourglass comes on for a split second and then nothing happens. As i've said, this previously worked find on server 2000 and i've checked all drivers/acceleration settings mentioned here. Are there special drivers for Nvidia cards on 2003? i just used the latest detonators. :unsure:

if i could get winroute 5.1 working i'd go back to 2000, but that doesnt like the amount on NAT ports required by all seeing eye, and with all these viruses of late i cant be without a decent firewall. :cry:

Pilsbury    0

If you can spend $1000 on an OS, you can afford to buy an integrated router / firewall...

Knight'    0
But WHY THE F--- WOULD YOU WANT TO??? Its like home users running Pro just cause they can. It works but is retarded. Plus I doubt any idiot that would install Server on a workstation paid for it...

XP eval version? You mean the 180 day time limited copy?

Please spare the tripe will you? First of all, many home users use Windows XP Pro for it's networking capabilities. Windows XP Home Edition does not allow Home networks, thus it is very limiting when you have a network. Second of all, I and many other people on Neowin run Windows Server 2003 as a workstation OS. Windows Server 2003 Web edition isn't too expensive, and for me it was worth every penny. And I resent the fact you called me an idiot.

Knight'    0
and it is not more expensive than win xp eval version.

Um - huh?? What are you buying exactly - cuz standard copy of w2k3 is $2k - last time I check XP is nowhere in this range. Yes you could buy Academic lic, but not everyone able to do this. And most likely even you can get a copy at Academic pricing - your not really legal to be doing it!

And even if you can get Academic lic - the Academic lic of XP is alot less than w2k3 sever.

Your logic is COMPLETELY flawed no matter how you look it at - if you can get a legal copy of w2k3 at prices that make it doable for the average joe - then XP will be CHEAPER going the same route.

DOCa Colas logic is fine, but you assume he's talking about Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition, he could well be talking about Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (which is significantly cheaper).

Pilsbury    0
Second of all, I and many other people on Neowin run Windows Server 2003 as a workstation OS. Windows Server 2003 Web edition isn't too expensive, and for me it was worth every penny. And I resent the fact you called me an idiot.

Well, you're violating the EULA for a start.

And what great advantages does Server 2003 Web give you over XP?

Other than the higher price tag?

Knight'    0
Well, you're violating the EULA for a start.

And what great advantages does Server 2003 Web give you over XP?

Other than the higher price tag?

I don't see how I'm violating the EULA by using my OS that I paid for. And Windows Server 2003 has been PROVEN to be better at playing games on (high FPS). :rolleyes:

+BudMan    3,544
Windows XP Home Edition does not allow Home networks, thus it is very limiting when you have a network.

What??? Home does NOT support Domains, that has nothing to do with a network. For the life of me - I can not see why you would need to run a domain in a home setup. As a learning tool, yes - to play with cuz you can yes. But in a home setup there is NO need to run a domain. So running PRO which cost more does not make sense in a normal home setup. Same with w2k3 - it COST more, no matter how you look at it - nor what kind of pricing you get - IT cost MORE!!!

If you do NOT need/use the designed features of w2k3, and are only doing things that winxp does - you can be considered an idiot for paying for something you do not NEED! Period!

Would you consider someone an idiot that paid extra for a cheeseburger - and then took the cheese off and threw it away? How about someone that paid for air conditioning, and then never uses it - and lives at the NorthPole? How about someone that buys bunkbeds and only ever sleeps in the bottom one. How about someone that pays for 5000 minutes of cell phone time, but only ever uses about 250 minutes??

Pilsbury    0

Maybe you should READ the EULA for your legally bought OS then.

Wouldn't the $200 you paid over and above XP ($400 if you already owned XP) not have been better spent on upgrading the hardware, which surely would have resulted in a higher FPS?

Jason    5
I know its a server OS. I use this as a server, hence running battlefield dedicated server on it! :blink:

i previously hosted servers on my broadband connection for MOH and Battlefield. The server also doubles as a NAT router for 5 pc's in a shared house.

When I run the apps no log is written, no windows appear, the hourglass comes on for a split second and then nothing happens. As i've said, this previously worked find on server 2000 and i've checked all drivers/acceleration settings mentioned here. Are there special drivers for Nvidia cards on 2003? i just used the latest detonators. :unsure:

if i could get winroute 5.1 working i'd go back to 2000, but that doesnt like the amount on NAT ports required by all seeing eye, and with all these viruses of late i cant be without a decent firewall. :cry:

Running a game server is not a proper "server" and no way requries 2003 Server to do so.