• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Games on Windows Server 2003

Rapier    3

Shud i upgrade to Windows 2003

Mayb i wont need to install The old security updates

And which is mor stable ??

Price Is not an issue where i live (kuwait)

evrything Comes for 3.3$

So just tell me that shud i upgrade or not

Will all da softwares on XP work in 2003 ??

Pilsbury    0
Shud i upgrade to Windows 2003

Mayb i wont need to install The old security updates

And which is mor stable ??

Price Is not an issue where i live (kuwait)

evrything Comes for 3.3$

So just tell me that shud i upgrade or not

Will all da softwares on XP work in 2003 ??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dashel    542

Are you running the standalone dedicated server for BF1942?

Windows XP Home Edition does not allow Home networks

LOL...good one. And I would love to see some benchmarks that prove that 2K3 is faster in games than XP.

Knight'    0
What???  Home does NOT support Domains, that has nothing to do with a network.  For the life of me - I can not see why you would need to run a domain in a home setup.  As a learning tool, yes - to play with cuz you can yes.  But in a home setup there is NO need to run a domain.  So running PRO which cost more does not make sense in a normal home setup.  Same with w2k3 - it COST more, no matter how you look at it - nor what kind of pricing you get - IT cost MORE!!!

If you do NOT need/use the designed features of w2k3, and are only doing things that winxp does - you can be considered an idiot for paying for something you do not NEED!  Period!

Would you consider someone an idiot that paid extra for a cheeseburger - and then took the cheese off and threw it away?  How about someone that paid for air conditioning, and then never uses it - and lives at the NorthPole?  How about someone that buys bunkbeds and only ever sleeps in the bottom one.  How about someone that pays for 5000 minutes of cell phone time, but only ever uses about 250 minutes??

WTF are you talking about Domains for? I said nothing, i repeat, NOTHING about Domains. I was actually talking about Workgroups, which don't require a server.

EDIT: And Budman, why do you insist on going futher off topic. You're really starting to pee me off.

Edited by Knight'

Glowstick    3
Running a game server is not a proper "server" and no way requries 2003 Server to do so.

Now don't expect him to understand that...

Dashel    542

Then please clarify your statement Knight cause from where I'm sitting he's right and your position is untenable.

PS. Zombie feel free to PM me about the BF issue.

Knight'    0
Are you running the standalone dedicated server for BF1942?

LOL...good one.  And I would love to see some benchmarks that prove that 2K3 is faster in games than XP.

Use the search, and you'll be pleasently surprised. But I'm not going to find them for you, I can't really be bothered to spend anymore time debating this stubject with foolish people like yourself.

EDIT:

My points were fairly clear, the reasons why you should use Windows Server 2003 as a workstation OS are as follows:

Better memory management, results in higher uptimes and applications not slowing down.

SP1 will add x86-64 capabilites, so you can run it on AMD64 systems (which I plan to do).

Proven to be better playing games (high FPS).

Gives you spenty of scope to play with new features, you could learn howto setup Domains etc.

Edited by Knight'

Jason    5
What???? Home does NOT support Domains, that has nothing to do with a network.? For the life of me - I can not see why you would need to run a domain in a home setup.? As a learning tool, yes - to play with cuz you can yes.? But in a home setup there is NO need to run a domain.? So running PRO which cost more does not make sense in a normal home setup.? Same with w2k3 - it COST more, no matter how you look at it - nor what kind of pricing you get - IT cost MORE!!!

If you do NOT need/use the designed features of w2k3, and are only doing things that winxp does - you can be considered an idiot for paying for something you do not NEED!? Period!

Would you consider someone an idiot that paid extra for a cheeseburger - and then took the cheese off and threw it away?? How about someone that paid for air conditioning, and then never uses it - and lives at the NorthPole?? How about someone that buys bunkbeds and only ever sleeps in the bottom one.? How about someone that pays for 5000 minutes of cell phone time, but only ever uses about 250 minutes??

WTF are you talking about Domains for? I said nothing, i repeat, NOTHING about Domains. I was actually talking about Workgroups, which don't require a server.

EDIT: And Budman, why do you insist on going futher off topic. You're really starting to pee me off.

Budman always posts good logical thinking in his posts which a lot of people do not.

Need more people like Budman.

Dashel    542

Yup, we are the foolish ones. You are on a roll today. Cause MS would never optimize the OS for it's intended use would they. Come on, just one link?

Pilsbury    0

Yeah, the sensible ones are always the ones who use a $400 + Server OS as a $250 Workstation OS...

Makes sense to me...

Anyway, Budman, about those cheeseburgers ;)

+BudMan    3,551
DOCa Colas logic is fine, but you assume he's talking about Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition, he could well be talking about Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (which is significantly cheaper).

NO his logic is flawed no matter what version of w2k3 you buy - NO matter what pricing your getting! You can get XP cheaper!! PERIOD!!! Cuz if your using Academic pricing to get w2k3 down to where you can afford to use it. Guess what - you can get XP under the same plan for CHEAPER!!!

THere is NO way to buy ANY version of w2k3 for LESS than you can buy XP - PERIOD!! unless you live in Kuwait - where I guess every version is only $3.3

Pilsbury    0
unless you live in Kuwait - where I guess every version is only $3.3

And the spelling is even worse!

Jason    5

I am still waiting for an explanation from Knight about this :

Windows XP Home Edition does not allow Home networks, thus it is very limiting when you have a network.

It doesn't support domains but it suports workgroups which you would use at home, but you say it doesn't allow home networks, do explain.

m2x-ADMlN    0

Okay, what is the purpose of this?

Knight'    0
I am still waiting for an explanation from Knight about this :

Windows XP Home Edition does not allow Home networks, thus it is very limiting when you have a network.

It doesn't support domains but it suports workgroups which you would use at home, but you say it doesn't allow home networks, do explain.

Sorry, I thought that Windows XP Home did NOT support Workgroups.

+BudMan    3,551

If you were NOT talking about domains - then please explain what you mean by;

Exactly what part of networks does the home version of XP NOT allow???? hmmmmm Domains maybe??? It sure could not be file sharing, or printer sharing - which was my point. What exactly does HOME not support that has anything to do with a network?? It does talk tcp/ip does it not - it does talk ipx and netbuei - does it not?? Exactly what part of networking does the Home version of XP not support??

And where did I go off topic??? Part of the topic was how you could be considered an idiot for buying w2k3 and using it as a workstation. I was just giving examples of things that could be bought and not used - that people would consider you and idiot over.

Pilsbury    0
Sorry, I thought that Windows XP Home did NOT support Workgroups.

Maybe you should have done a bit more research before you wasted your money on Server 2003...

Last version of Windows that didn't really support networking was like Windows/286....

Dashel    542

Ok Knight, fair enough. So if we were right on that don't you think we just 'might' know what we are talking about here?

Knight'    0

If you were NOT talking about domains - then please explain what you mean by;

Exactly what part of networks does the home version of XP NOT allow???? hmmmmm Domains maybe??? It sure could not be file sharing, or printer sharing - which was my point. What exactly does HOME not support that has anything to do with a network?? It does talk tcp/ip does it not - it does talk ipx and netbuei - does it not?? Exactly what part of networking does the Home version of XP not support??

And where did I go off topic??? Part of the topic was how you could be considered an idiot for buying w2k3 and using it as a workstation. I was just giving examples of things that could be bought and not used - that people would consider you and idiot over.

I have already stated that I was wrong on this point, as far as I was aware Home did not support Workgroups or Domains (thus the reason to buy Professional) there's no need to reiterate you point with such zeal.

You went off topic by talking about making a comparison of XP Home and Pro, there was no need, this is a thread about Windows Server 2003 for gaming. And there's no need to call people idiots just because they have more money than you :|

Dashel    542

WoW, you are starting to sound like a gluttonous American there. Better watch out. ;)

Like Bud said, is that slice of cheese really necessary unless you are going to eat it? Or do you just do it to feel l337? Some kind of juvenile penile envy.

"Hey baby, I run Win2k3 server..."

Pilsbury    0
And there's no need to call people idiots just because they have more money than you :|

Ahh, the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" springs to mind here :laugh:

10 entries found for fool.

fool ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl)

n.

One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.

One who acts unwisely on a given occasion: I was a fool to have quit my job.

One who has been tricked or made to appear ridiculous; a dupe: They made a fool of me by pretending I had won.

Informal. A person with a talent or enthusiasm for a certain activity: a dancing fool; a fool for skiing.

A member of a royal or noble household who provided entertainment, as with jokes or antics; a jester.

One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth: a holy fool.

A dessert made of stewed or pur?ed fruit mixed with cream or custard and served cold.

Archaic. A mentally deficient person; an idiot.

Knight'    0
WoW, you are starting to sound like a gluttonous American there. Better watch out. ;)

Like Bud said, is that slice of cheese really necessary unless you are going to eat it? Or do you just do it to feel l337? Some kind of juvenile penile envy.

"Hey baby, I run Win2k3 server..."

I may "sound" like a gluttonous American, but I'm really English. :rolleyes:

And there's no juvenile penile envy here :unsure:

JimM17    0

if someone wants to purchase some flavor of unix, then purchase vmware, then purchase windows to run in a vmware session just to play some windows game then they should be allowed to do so. stating that windows 2k3 is a server os does nothing but aggrevate people as evident by this thread.

that being said, this thread needs to be deleted.

Pilsbury    0
if someone wants to purchase some flavor of unix, then purchase vmware, then purchase windows to run in a vmware session just to play some windows game then they should be allowed to do so. stating that windows 2k3 is a server os does nothing but aggrevate people as evident by this thread.

that being said, this thread needs to be deleted.

You ever seen the performance of games under VMWare?

Plus, where did VMWare come into this at all???

Jackalo    0

I used Windows Server 2003 as my primary OS for several months. Mainly because I wanted to try it out at first and see how it handled running different types of servers and other multimedia applications at the same time. I was able to game and run a web server, no problem. Server 2003 was a bit more stable than XP Professional, and I liked how it had the Server Applications menu upon logging into a user account. The only quarrel I had with it (and ultimately left it because of) was Security Permission settings on files and folders.

As for costs of Windows Server 2003, I have quite a few stacks of evaluation copies (180 days each). It wouldn't be that hard to save your files and settings to a seperate hard drive or petition and then do a fresh install and copy everything back.

Comparing Home and Professional