• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Games on Windows Server 2003

Xantos    0
wow.... in this and longhorn forum. nmost of tiem when ppl ask for help over 1/2 the psots are falesm hwo they shouldn't being using OS bc it is a server/alpha OS. get over it stop trolling its there choice. also its not againsst EULA to talke about win 2k3. ur just guessing he obtainedd llegally. also wut if he has an uncle at MS that got it to him cheap, or has oddles of money.

I totally agree with this who are you people to decide what the kid wants to run or spend his money on jeesus being momy and daddy here :blink:

PF Prophet    0

my god you people for the most part need to grow up

i have a leigal copy of 2k3 standred i traded 2 full leigal copys of xp pro for it oh and i got a copy of web add from the same guy for making him updated cd's of 2k and xp (sp1/sp4 intagrated)

he works for intel and didnt want to spend the time making updated disks and he has extra copys of 2k3 so what i may have traded xp pro (junk) for 2k3 and you all may think that was stupid but it was my choice

just like i can find 2k3 web for 200usd or less if i take the time to find it agin

and its not aginst the eula to use 2k3 as a workstation to make it into a workstation all you need to do is dissable some services and change a few settings how dose that brake the eula

oh and to whoever said that home users that use pro insted of home additions are stupid get over your self home has ****ty security and is made for morons like you who want something cheap that says windows xp on it

windows 2000 is far more mature then xp its got alot of patching behind it i for one wasnt even using my xp pro disks anymore i had reverted to 2k pro becouse of hotfix issues with xp and i discovered that yes xp booted quicker but it also was slower once you where in windows and had more issues with most games i have then 2k

i have played with linux and what i am seeing is that its headed in the dirrection of windows making it so that these "windows morons" can use it without having to read a book thats 3-6in thick or take a class on it

i have sun solaris 9.x and its alot easyer to use then any version of linux i have delt with (yes its leigal copy of solaris x86 )

linux is all good and well but its not as user friendly or assessable as windows

no the blaster worm didnt hit linux but u really think that somebody couldnt make a virus that would fuk linux up if they wanted to take the time if linux was more popular you would have more hackers trying to crash it but its not

ms/windows is a target becouse there so big and they **** people off (yes even i hate them) but that dosnt mean i dont use what they make

oh and so you know a place i did some work for a few months ago is using 2k3 web addition on all of there graphix workstations becouse unlike xp its never given them a problem and hasnt given a memory issue yet

from what there system manager said xp gave them no end's of trobble they reverted to 2k till they got a couple evals of 2k3

and yes ms knows there using them for workstations and even gave them help getting them optomized for such use

well im kinda starting to forget what all i have said maby it cuz i been up for almost 2 dyas strate :/

basickly let people do what they will with it dose it hert you if they use it as a workstation if they want to even if they warezed it

and if they warezed it what good dose telling them to use xp or what ever else do they will just warez that to in that your logic seems verry flawed to me

oh and roberth thanks for the link to that optomizer they shouldnt have removed the thred the things he was talking about arnt active at least not in the one i downloaded oh and the time bomb removed is a joke LoL try it in vpc or vmware machien you will see what i mean it dosnt remove the time bomb just hides it hehe (tested with vpc 5.2 and a fresh install of 2k3 ent addition eval) oh and u can bypass wpa so what dose it matter if you do ??? u still have time limmit (the wpa reset tool in the optomizer wasnt active in the ver i tested so i dont know what they where talking about)

ZombieFly    222
Running a game server is not a proper "server" and no way requries 2003 Server to do so.

i never said you did. as I said before, I use the server as a NAT router/File server

ZombieFly    222

also, i'm struggling to understand how any of this is a response to my original question!... :|

i thought i'd found a solution with winroute 5.1 under windows 2000 server, but as i've said earlier, i cant up the NAT ports limit in the 5.1 version. Anyone know anything about this?

[cue the debate on the BEST firewall licencing options now, lol] ;)

Jason    5
well you use what you think is best and I'll use what I think is best. we are small only 20% of the market. we'll goto sleep and not worry about the next blaster worm etc. but to each their own. one final note if you think iso is unbiased you know even less then i thought. cheers this post is closed for me.

20% erm where did you get that from its 3 to 4% of the market is Linux.

b0se    0

This argument (not restricted to this thread) is so pathetic, its getting nearly as bad as Mac vs PC...

1. Who CARES what someone else's OS is

2. Its THEIR decision, no matter if it has no foundation and YOU don't like it

So jumping on anyone asking for help and flaming them is a waste time and does nothing but sour this forum.

I use Win 2003 Server for the following reasons:

a. I like to play with new software, get to know it. It makes me more employable.

b. I'm developing enterprise solutions, so I need it.

and c. (which is the reason for a lot of people) Its FUN to fiddle with new things.

So please, get your own life, and stop trying to rule others.

BTW: I benchmarked both XP and 2003 using Q3, and got the *exact* same FPS.

Edited by b0se

Endoscient    0

im thinking about. runnign server 2k3 soon myself. ne1 have a linb kto the opimization guide that came around when it orignally came out?

alexander777    0
20% erm where did you get that from its 3 to 4% of the market is Linux.

3% lmao again do some reasearch linux market alone grew 6% in 2002.

Germano    0

Guess the OS: Home or Pro?

post-77-1062963075.png

Germano    0

Guess the OS: Home or Pro?

post-77-1062963563.png

Endoscient    0

yes it would...

Jason    5
3%? lmao? again do some reasearch linux market alone grew 6% in 2002.

Hmm 6% now, why post crap like 20%, you make that up how do we know you don't make everything you say up ?

Edit : better post LMAO like you do:laugh:h:

alexander777    0

Hmm 6% now, why post crap like 20%, you make that up how do we know you don't make everything you say up ?

I can see you aint too bright. it is 20% it went up 6% last year alone duhhhhh jessh typical ms user.

Germano    0

I can see you aint too bright. it is 20% it went up 6% last year alone duhhhhh jessh typical ms user.

Linux users can't quote? Tipical... :p

Endoscient    0

how is that typical?

show me more linux users who dont use teh built in quote feature

Germano    0

Just being ironic. :p Joking with his previous line.

I'm Linux user too. Just don't like all this MS vs. Linux fight.

And it is way off topic... ;)

enkrypt3d    0

The only games I've been able to install and get working on my desktop machine is Unreal2 & Ghost Recon ... Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, and Quake 3 will not work. They try to load but both crash.

This is after all the tweaks I've done for DirectX 9 (finally got it installed) and the latest detonator drivers w/ the latest game patches...

Anyone know how to get Q3, UT & UT2K3 running?

THanks

-Enkrypt3d

Edited by enkrypt3d

enkrypt3d    0

So can we PLEASE get back on topic? some of us would LOVE to know how to get certain games working w/ Win2k3!

-Enkrypt3d

ZombieFly    222
So can we PLEASE get back on topic? some of us would LOVE to know how to get certain games working w/ Win2k3!

-Enkrypt3d

yeh! :whistle:

ZombieFly    222

what happens with the games that dont work? i cant get battlefield to work, even the dedicated server. I followed the instructions that were posted in the other thread [you know the one!] :p and still no joy.

When i click the game shortcut the hourglass comes on for a split second then nothing, no hard drive activity or anything.

i'm using server 2003 with geforce 3, and everything previously worked under windows 2000 server.

how did you install direct x 9 on server 2003? maybe thats my problem.. although i doubt it. :no:

CubanPete    0
how did you install direct x 9 on server 2003? maybe thats my problem.. although i doubt it. :no:

Go to the microsoft site and download the Web Installation version. It automatically knows which os you have and downloads the files for your version.

PF Prophet    0

no no we cant :p

Jason    5

I can see you ain't to bright, Linux does not have 20% of the market. There was a newspost speculating they may have 20% by 2008 and that only speculation.

Give me facts, 100% provable facts on Linux having 20% of the market.