What would you like MS to add/change about WP7?

In all honesty, I have to say the OS is pretty reliable and has minimal issues. In my almost four months of using the device, I really don't see too much that needs to be updated or changed.

What I would like to see though is:

Themes:

Why is it that in the tips for battery life it says to use a darker theme, but the mail client has an all white background and black text? Why can it not look like the People hub. Black background white text...I'd find this easier on the eyes too.

Alarms and Ringtones:

I would like the ability to customise my ringtones, but that's a small issue, and doesn't really bother me.

Alarms, I would like to be able to make louder and be able to use escalating alarms, the BlackBerry does this quite well.

Marketplace:

Better search, which is rumored to be coming. This would be helpful. Actually, the marketplace is the one area my phone has had the most problems with. It's the only app that actually crashes, and requires a reboot to resolve.

UI:

I'd like the pop up battery/signal bar to be available in all apps. OK, except maybe games where screen realestate is a premium and would detract from the experience.

I'd like the keyboard auto-correct feature to be available in all apps.

This would improve consistency in the OS.

Apps - Loading and Performance:

Yes, this is rumored to be coming in the first update, and I really hope it is. ilomilo takes ages to load on the 7 Trophy, as does Facebook, Flixter, Cocktail Flow and a number of other apps.

Apps wise, I'd also like to be able to group apps, sort of folders in the full list, having to scroll and scroll and scroll seems a little unintuitive. Being able to have more 'hubs' (Xbox Live as an example) to groups apps would be nice.

I'm sure I have more. I don't really use it to connect to my work email, but when I have, it works well enough, and haven't had any issues with the Exchange integration.

Outside of the phone, I'd like the Zune Pass to be available in Australia. Having Zune behave here, like it does in the US would be a 'nice to have'.

Anyone else got anything else they'd like Microsoft to add or change?

Agreed, Flash would be cool.

I don't really find multitasking a big miss. The tombstoning works quite well, provided developers implement it properly.

As for default search, there's an app for that. Though it would be a nice addition to be able to change the search button to use said app.

Sanctioned tethering would be a big one for me. A lot of the devices can tether by going into their various manufacturer engineering menus, but this requires doing stuff, as well as changing the USB mode which I'm not too fussed over. It also will only work on Windows. Bluetooth/Wifi/USB sanctioned tethering would be fantastic.

In all honesty, I have to say the OS is pretty reliable and has minimal issues. In my almost four months of using the device, I really don't see too much that needs to be updated or changed.

What I would like to see though is:

Themes:

Why is it that in the tips for battery life it says to use a darker theme, but the mail client has an all white background and black text? Why can it not look like the People hub. Black background white text...I'd find this easier on the eyes too.

Alarms and Ringtones:

I would like the ability to customise my ringtones, but that's a small issue, and doesn't really bother me.

Alarms, I would like to be able to make louder and be able to use escalating alarms, the BlackBerry does this quite well.

Marketplace:

Better search, which is rumored to be coming. This would be helpful. Actually, the marketplace is the one area my phone has had the most problems with. It's the only app that actually crashes, and requires a reboot to resolve.

UI:

I'd like the pop up battery/signal bar to be available in all apps. OK, except maybe games where screen realestate is a premium and would detract from the experience.

I'd like the keyboard auto-correct feature to be available in all apps.

This would improve consistency in the OS.

Apps - Loading and Performance:

Yes, this is rumored to be coming in the first update, and I really hope it is. ilomilo takes ages to load on the 7 Trophy, as does Facebook, Flixter, Cocktail Flow and a number of other apps.

Apps wise, I'd also like to be able to group apps, sort of folders in the full list, having to scroll and scroll and scroll seems a little unintuitive. Being able to have more 'hubs' (Xbox Live as an example) to groups apps would be nice.

I'm sure I have more. I don't really use it to connect to my work email, but when I have, it works well enough, and haven't had any issues with the Exchange integration.

Outside of the phone, I'd like the Zune Pass to be available in Australia. Having Zune behave here, like it does in the US would be a 'nice to have'.

Anyone else got anything else they'd like Microsoft to add or change?

I have just blogged about the things that are missing from WP7, which I would love to see updated.

http://suavesagittarian.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/what-i-would-like-to-see-in-a-windows-phone-7-update/

Although, I agree with most of what you've said, but I've added a few more of my own. :-)

I have just blogged about the things that are missing from WP7, which I would love to see updated.

http://suavesagittarian.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/what-i-would-like-to-see-in-a-windows-phone-7-update/

Although, I agree with most of what you've said, but I've added a few more of my own. :-)

Global search isn't really that big of a deal in my opinion. I like the context sensitive nature of the search. Having everything lumped into one massive global search could be frustrating, as you'd then have to wade through a massive pool of search results. It's kind of like one massive start menu...grouping of apps would be cool, kind of like context sensitive search.

Global search isn't really that big of a deal in my opinion. I like the context sensitive nature of the search. Having everything lumped into one massive global search could be frustrating, as you'd then have to wade through a massive pool of search results. It's kind of like one massive start menu...grouping of apps would be cool, kind of like context sensitive search.

Fair point! But at least they should implement a search bar for the app list on the device. That, with grouping, would make finding apps a lot easier. :-)

Fair point! But at least they should implement a search bar for the app list on the device. That, with grouping, would make finding apps a lot easier. :-)

now that would be worthwhile!!

Folders don't fit with the rest of the UI, but a custom app hub you could make is a different story.

Still, if apps start actually connecting/hooking into the current main hubs do you really need to have group lists etc?

It's like how games all get tossed into the games hub right now instead of into the app list. Photo realated apps should go into the pictures hub, and likewise for video/music services/apps, into the music+videos hub and so on.

If devs just do that (though everyone wants their app to stand out ofc) then the need for grouped folders etc just goes down by a fair bit imo.

I would like to see a way to hold apps in different locations when you swipe right.. for example you could have 2 or 3 swipes to the right to show different categories of apps..

I am happy with everything else though, I think that the developers just need to optimize for WP7 then it will be perfect.. I am not a fan of going into an app and it looks exactly like the Iphone UI.

More developers need to use Live tiles!!

True .. global search is possible right now with voice.. if i need to find an app then I just tell which one i want instead of going searching for it.

Folders don't fit with the rest of the UI, but a custom app hub you could make is a different story.

Still, if apps start actually connecting/hooking into the current main hubs do you really need to have group lists etc?

If devs just do that (though everyone wants their app to stand out ofc) then the need for grouped folders etc just goes down by a fair bit imo.

i agree with you, if they used 'app hubs' it would be nice. they could also still allow you to pin that particular app to the start menu too like you can with the games in the XBL hub...

It's like how games all get tossed into the games hub right now instead of into the app list. Photo realated apps should go into the pictures hub, and likewise for video/music services/apps, into the music+videos hub and so on.

*shrugs* Personally I imagine folders would fit rather easily into the apps list.You swipe left from the start screen to get to the app list, and when you on a folde in the app list, it swipes left again to show the contents of the folder. Simple, neat way of doing it that fits into the UI.

I prefer it to them being lumped into the OS's hubs, as you can more efficiently organise your own apps based on personal preference than being left with what the OS / App developers feel is best. I mean I could do with folders right now - a nice folder for Social Networking Apps, a folder for Homebrew apps, basic utilities folder, one for my news apps etc. They're not really the types of apps that fit into a particular Hub at all.

What I'd like:

+ Better in app performance for Silverlight (not loading). The standard virtualised listbox for example is very badly optimised, and the drawing times a very slow (from a developers perspective).

+ Background on the start Screen :3

+ Office Skydrive file sync, or atleast replace sharepoint on the office hub with skydrive for those (most) of us who aren't using a sharepoint server right now.

+ Make Office better. It's like they literally just directly used Office Mobile for Windows Mobile 6.5 and shined it up a bit - it still feels like the same old Office mobile :/

+ Voice Search, Local search outside of the US

+ Bing app.... why is the iPhone one so much better ._______.

+ When I click on my own tile on the start screen.. I'd like to be able to see my contact details, not just my Facebook stream

+ Change some of the animations - not a fan of the ones that arc out to the side and then arc back down from the Top... just doesn't look that good

Better app list organization

Faster app loading (& Ability to speed up/turn off transition effects)

IE9 based browser (Flash is whatever... Dont find it all that useful on my Droid X)

Fast app switching without reloading apps

• 2 weeks later...

How about the ability to say "Text Dan you suck" and have it text Dan that he sucks.

Also, the ability to hide appointments from the lock screen, custom ringtones, and stuff like that would be nice.

I'd like to see more Lock screen options as well. Also I think it would be cool if you could tap on one of the icons that shows up at the bottom for email/calls/texts and then after you slide the screen up it'd go right to that missed item you picked.

As for app list org, I agree, I suppose you can do it like the bookmarks area in IE8/9 for example. There's an option to close the inactive folder when you click on something else which I have turned on to cut down on the scrolling needed. I think we might get something like that but I'd also much rather see custom app hubs you can pin on the start screen and fill with whatever you want. Having that negates the need for a app list folder a bit.

• 2 months later...