Zune prices excessively high...

post-69517-0-66878000-1297334023.png

Hi,

Today I just launched Zune and it seems that all prices are set at ~EUR750-EUR1000 /album

Is this normal? :rolleyes:

heh, Euros usualy use the uro symbol you know ;)

They are still excessively high. ?10 for a digital album is an outrage. We shouldnt be paying 99p for a track in 2011 either. The movie prices are also ridiculous.

Maybe if the prices dropped I would get more but its tesco entertainment/ 7 digital for me.

They are still excessively high. ?10 for a digital album is an outrage. We shouldnt be paying 99p for a track in 2011 either. The movie prices are also ridiculous.

Maybe if the prices dropped I would get more but its tesco entertainment/ 7 digital for me.

Why ?

why should music price go down ? if anything they will go up. people make a lot more per month now than they did 10 years ago. Thisis called inflation. because of this the value of the money we make sink as price need to go up, since the peopel who make the stuff, they also need to make more to afford everything, and it's a big circle of increasing wages and prices.

why for some magical reasons hould music be excempt from this ?

besides that, prices are very precisely calculated for best profit. if they could make more money on lower prices, they would sell at lower prices. but the price they are on, is the point where they make most money where the graph of numbers sold and price per unit says they earnthe most. and they still get all the lower price buyers down the road, since they will buy later when the prices drop.

They need to get rid of the stupid point system.

why. MS points are actually very useful. they also help keep the same price globally. I'd rather they also bring the points, both because they are conventient and because then I coudl buy UK points and use the marketplace on my cell phone despite being in NOrway where it's not rolled out yet.

Why ?

why should music price go down ? if anything they will go up. people make a lot more per month now than they did 10 years ago. Thisis called inflation. because of this the value of the money we make sink as price need to go up, since the peopel who make the stuff, they also need to make more to afford everything, and it's a big circle of increasing wages and prices.

besides that, prices are very precisely calculated for best profit. if they could make more money on lower prices, they would sell at lower prices. but the price they are on, is the point where they make most money where the graph of numbers sold and price per unit says they earnthe most. and they still get all the lower price buyers down the road, since they will buy later when the prices drop.

I am comparing with other platforms and with physical media.

Tracks are 79p on other online stores.

Albums are around ?5-7. On zune, tracks are 99p with albums costing ?10.

If you dont think this is a rip off then you are deluded.

We are also getting less for our money than buying a CD, and companies pay less to distribute online.

Digital media should cost less full stop.

Being a MS fan is one thing but defending outrageous pricing is downright ridiculous.

I am comparing with other platforms and with physical media.

Tracks are 79p on other online stores.

Albums are around £5-7. On zune, tracks are 99p with albums costing £10.

If you dont think this is a rip off then you are deluded.

We are also getting less for our money than buying a CD, and companies pay less to distribute online.

Digital media should cost less full stop.

Being a MS fan is one thing but defending outrageous pricing is downright ridiculous.

In the US this is right on with itunes (their competitor), maybe the itunes store is cheaper over there? If it is then MS should follow suit, but here they are the same price (it should be less, imo, to get people to buy the ms product over the apple product....nothing says "move over to my platform" more than a price war).

Music should be even more highly priced.

The US crap, yes, crap, that gets released should get a price cut, yes.

I like using this to give you a ball part figure on what the real price may be. You can get points card cheaper than usual too.

Points converter

As for the pricing, MS will push it as far as the market can bare and they are also so US centric I doubt they even think twice when setting pricing in other markets.

Today I just launched Zune and it seems that all prices are set at ~EUR750-EUR1000 /album

Is this normal? :rolleyes:

You gave me a good laugh! That would really be something. :laugh:

Music should be even more highly priced.

So more people would turn to piracy for music? The industry has been hard enough with it. Raising the prices any more would cause more piracy, in my opinion. You only can charge people so much for something, especially when they've been paying that price for the last decade. If anything, a lower price might bring in more revenue as it could bring back some of the pirates out there.

So more people would turn to piracy for music? The industry has been hard enough with it. Raising the prices any more would cause more piracy, in my opinion. You only can charge people so much for something, especially when they've been paying that price for the last decade. If anything, a lower price might bring in more revenue as it could bring back some of the pirates out there.

that's not how it works. though it's a common pirate defense.

the prices are as I said calculated for maximum profit. pirates, they don't pirate because it's to expensive, they pirate because they don't want to pay, AT ALL.

Why ?

Inflation doesn't work the same way for technology items, and almost never has. If anything, it tends to work in reverse. Digital media costs less to produce and distribute than physical media such as albums and CDs, yet consumers are typically charged the same (or in some cases more) for digital versions.

the best part is most often, they release crappy, compressed mp3 files. I'll stick to my 15 dollar albums, which I can physically hold in my hand, admire the pretty booklet, and rip lossless FLACs of everything.

Yea, digital music is dumb. I just don't understand why people complain about it. Or use it as an excuse for piracy. You can still buy the CD, you know.

Talking about music companies gouging you for prices is such a scapegoat excuse, because there's no real evidence they're doing that.

Every Joe Shmoe out there is looking for some bullsh!t reason or another to defend piracy or talk about music being priced too high (silently implying that the only reasonable way to get music is illegally).

Music has no longer has any monetary value and the sooner the record companies accept that the better.

Did you stop and think that music won't be produced if people can't be paid the bare minimum it takes to actually make a song? Songs don't make themselves, recording equipment doesn't magically appear in a studio, and the knowledge to use the mixers and equalizers and all the other tools they use doesn't just pop into someone's head, and no one will use that knowledge to do it for free.

Music will never be free, the sooner you accept that, the sooner the piracy problem will go away. People who want music to be free are just jumping on the "music is too expensive" bandwagon (when it's not really expensive at all) or just simply pirate the music and want an excuse to make them feel slightly better.

Why do so many people defend charging for things you make? Putting a price on something you make is an accusation that other people owe you something, at least that's how I see it...

Figures your logic wouldn't be any better here either.

So you're telling me the hours you spend on thinking up the words to a song, the rhythm of it, finding people to sing/play the music (if you haven't done so already), taking it to a studio to remove any imperfections or fluctuations, finding a record label to help you with distribution, paying the record label a cut of profits, dealing with online licensing, and finally pushing it out to you makes them the bad guys for wanting 99 cents per track?

You're a joke.

Write me a book. I demand it. Then give it to me for free. Because obviously, you owe me a book. As a consumer, I'm totally entitled to anything and everything you make. At least, that's how I see it. I shouldn't have to pay anything, especially not for your time, effort, creativity, publishing costs, or licensing costs. I mean, what a stupid thing for you to ask.

• Like 2

Figures your logic wouldn't be any better here either.

So you're telling me the hours you spend on thinking up the words to a song, the rhythm of it, finding people to sing/play the music (if you haven't done so already), taking it to a studio to remove any imperfections or fluctuations, finding a record label to help you with distribution, paying the record label a cut of profits, dealing with online licensing, and finally pushing it out to you makes them the bad guys for wanting 99 cents per track?

You're a joke.

Write me a book. I demand it. Then give it to me for free. Because obviously, you owe me a book. As a consumer, I'm totally entitled to anything and everything you make. At least, that's how I see it. I shouldn't have to pay anything, especially not for your time, effort, creativity, publishing costs, or licensing costs. I mean, what a stupid thing for you to ask.

How much do you intend to charge for that comment?

I've never written a book, but I've written many posts on here and other websites. Should I claim that you owe me for reading what I wrote?