• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zune prices excessively high...

s1k3sT    31

The past 10 or so posts? Are you forgetting stuff that quickly now?

Maybe I did forget, could you please refresh the memory by quoting them?

Oh, I see. Then your social security number please. Actually, can I borrow your wallet? And your car? I probably won't be able to give them back though, but it's all good, because i know you will. Please leave the address to where I can pick up the car in my PMs.

Much gratitude.

P.S. Please leave your computer at the address as well.

EDIT: Final reply, you posted something else before I finished posting. Leaving this thread now, enjoy playing the good guy and not causing any *GASP OMFG CONTROVERSY*

The (not my) ssn I use is 365-06-7927

No wallet, no car. Someone else already has a claim to the computer I'm using, but feel free to argue with them about it.

Why is it that so many people think questions are part of a debate or argument?

mad_onion    13

Maybe I did forget, could you please refresh the memory by quoting them?

The (not my) ssn I use is 365-06-7927

No wallet, no car. Someone else already has a claim to the computer I'm using, but feel free to argue with them about it.

Why is it that so many people think questions are part of a debate or argument?

So you're just giving away all your stuff? Sounds good to me. I would suggest you might be missing your survival instinct (it's pretty important).

s1k3sT    31

So you're just giving away all your stuff? Sounds good to me. I would suggest you might be missing your survival instinct (it's pretty important).

Who says it's [my] stuff? I didn't bring anything with me into this world, I'm not planning to take anything with me when I go; so how can I "own" anything?

Who says this alleged "survival instinct" is important? How do you define it anyway? Are you claiming that in order to survive I've got to claim to "own" stuff?

spudtrooper    335

Zunepass FTW, keep 10!

Do they have that in the UK?

oceanmotion    13

Zunepass FTW, keep 10!

Do they have that in the UK?

Yes but without the 10 tracks to keep a month which puts it below competing services such Napster who have a similar offer.

spudtrooper    335

Yes but without the 10 tracks to keep a month which puts it below competing services such Napster who have a similar offer.

hopefully they will bring that to you guys.

I hope to see zunepass for video sooner or later

Seizure1990    252

It's because of people like s1k3sT that I, as a photographer, am truly afraid for my work

s1k3sT    31

It's because of people like s1k3sT that I, as a photographer, am truly afraid for my work

I'm guessing you would want us to "pay"; that will all be worked out soon for us peaceful inhabitants (if it's not already taken care of), so no worries there.

One question though: if I borrowed a rake from you to use and then traded it for a shovel without asking first, would you be upset? Could we even say I was acting in dishonor? How are exchanges using "money" any different? Do you actually "own" the money you're using? If you think you do "own" money, why is it that the IRS or bank or all kinds of other people can take it without your permission? What about "your" house, or "your" car? If you "own" them, why can they be taken away without your approval?

I guess if I truly "owned" money I wouldn't have an objection to using it to "pay" people, but so far I've not seen any evidence that I control the money I use or "own" anything...

So, are zune prices excessively high? What's "excessively high"? IMO anything that allegedly costs money is "excessively high", if I don't "own" anything, how can I "pay"? Send the bill to whoever is liable for the name I'm using, at least they'll probably pay with credit instead of debt ("money"), so the matter can actually get settled instead of just adding to the pile of debt...

Seizure1990    252

what does owning money have to do with anything? I never claimed I own any money. The government owns it. However, I DO own my photographs, something which I have put my very own sweat and blood into. And if I decide that in exchange for a copy of my photo to hang up on your wall, you should give me $50 (which the government technically owns), then that is my decision.

To answer your example directly though, yes, I would be upset if you traded the rake for the shovel without permission. When I gave you that rake, the terms of our agreement were that I would let you use the rake, and you would return it to me, presumably in a timely manner, and in the same condition I lent it. Our agreement never entailed the shovel, and deciding for yourself to switch it would be encroaching on rights we never discussed. :)

Edit: And I have a question for you. I call you up, and ask if I can stay over at your place for tonight (I have to be up very early for a job interview tomorrow, and you happen to live near the office). You agree, and when I arrive, you show me to your guest room, and give me my linens. You then go downstairs to clean up a bit, and when you get back, you find me having relations with your wife, in the very bed you offered me! You don't own your wife, and you already gave me permission to sleep in your house, so I just assumed...

clearly, this scenario is ludicrous, but yours is just as irrelevant. which is my point.

s1k3sT    31

To answer your example directly though, yes, I would be upset if you traded the rake for the shovel without permission. When I gave you that rake, the terms of our agreement were that I would let you use the rake, and you would return it to me, presumably in a timely manner, and in the same condition I lent it. Our agreement never entailed the shovel, and deciding for yourself to switch it would be encroaching on rights we never discussed. :)

I used that example to show the relation to money; I didn't own the rake (or shovel) and we don't own the money. Do people ask the government for permission before they use the money the government "owns"?

Seizure1990    252

The government has already given us permission to use that money. I did not give you permission to use a copy of my photographs (yet)

kalkal    558

Max I'd pay for an app on my mobile is about £3, on average around 99p and that's something potentially useful that can be used as a tool and arguably, more work has gone into to produce than music does. Most apps have an ad funded version or trial which lets me know if it /really/ is what I need too. Sometimes you need time to listen to an album for a while to know if you really do love it. Granted there is music I'll love for life but you don't know that until a long way down the line after paying.

Why would I pay 99p for a song and £10 for an album which I may or may not love for a period of time but get tired of? It means buying hundreds or thousands of songs to stay happy with a decent collection and potentially wasting money. That's a lot of money with current prices.

Subscription services are a nice idea but there's no idea but if a company will go bust and if it does, so does the ability to access the music any more.

Seizure1990    252

Max I'd pay for an app on my mobile is about £3, on average around 99p and that's something potentially useful that can be used as a tool and arguably, more work has gone into to produce than music does. Most apps have an ad funded version or trial which lets me know if it /really/ is what I need too. Sometimes you need time to listen to an album for a while to know if you really do love it. Granted there is music I'll love for life but you don't know that until a long way down the line after paying.

Why would I pay 99p for a song and £10 for an album which I may or may not love for a period of time but get tired of? It means buying hundreds or thousands of songs to stay happy with a decent collection and potentially wasting money. That's a lot of money with current prices.

Subscription services are a nice idea but there's no idea but if a company will go bust and if it does, so does the ability to access the music any more.

First off, the assumption that a program takes more effort then a song is pretty gross. Besides the fact that some are simpler or harder in both fields, I doubt you've had firsthand experience in both, and likely neither.

Second off, feeling something is expensive is not a legitimate excuse to steal it. People have this misplaced notion that it ISN'T the right of the manufacturer/producer/artist/whatever to set prices. Well, it is. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

At any rate, for music specifically, I agree. Digital downloads are a dumb idea. But not everyone thinks so, and for people like you and I, there are still CDs. REGARDLESS, it's no excuse for piracy.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add: The vast majority of songs these days have samples available publicy on the internet. You can also go into a Barnes and Nobles, or whatever major store you know of that sells music, and many of them have an electronic system setup where you can listen to music before purchasing it.

Failing those two, and risking the accusations of being a hypocrite, I DO "pirate" music, but it is soley for the purpose of seeing whether I want it or not. If I do, I buy it legally, and if I don't, I get rid of it. Now if you want to argue that I am no better, we can go ahead, but that is a different discussion.