2036 : The year an Asteroid hits Earth ?

That's enough to wipe out an entire country.

You got your science classes right :laugh:

But seriously, mokthraka nailed it with the speed of these things. It’s very easy to calculate the energy deployed by this with ½*m*v2 and it’s probably a little less than an atomic bomb, which can be calculated from E=m*c2

When standing next to an ancient obelisk of unknown origin, the key to entering the obelisk to activating the tractor beam that will deflect the asteroid and save the planet is "Kirk to Enterprise".

Ah, the Paradise Syndrome :happy:

STParadiseSyn.jpg

post-37120-0-13202000-1297502403.jpg

post-37120-0-27236600-1297502809.jpg

post-37120-0-41036000-1297502840.jpg

But seriously, mokthraka nailed it with the speed of these things. It?s very easy to calculate the energy deployed by this with ?*m*v2 and it?s probably a little less than an atomic bomb, which can be calculated from E=m*c2

it would be much, much more then an atomic bomb

Nasa estimates that in the event of it hitting earth, its force would be about 500 mega tons.

LOL, no I'm horrible at beta classes... It's common knowledge though that a meteor 500 meters across is enough to wipe out most of a continent. 270 meters across would be enough to wipe out most of Western Europe. Every Discovery or National Geographic documentary will tell you that.

Luckily the meteor's path won't bring it anywhere near Western Europe. So basically only the Western US, Middle America, Northern Africa and parts of Asia are screwed. Amsterdam will survive regardless. Yay for us! :p

2037apophispathofrisk.jpg

That's enough to wipe out an entire country.

I actually saw a piece about this on National Geographic Channel, and it said the impact of a Asteroid that size would be a 1000x more powerfull then all the nukes of the US and RUS combined.

So in other words the whole world is ****ed if this thing would hit earth.

I actually saw a piece about this on National Geographic Channel, and it said the impact of a Asteroid that size would be a 1000x more powerfull then all the nukes of the US and RUS combined.

You're confusing an asteroid of about 10 kilometers across (the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, and the one talked about in the documentary you're referring to) with one 270 meters across (the one we're talking about in this thread). 270 meters most definitely isn't enough to wipe out the entire planet. Half a continent, yes. Most of the Earth, no.

According to NASA Apophis will cause an explosion of roughly 510 megatons, which isn't enough to cause long-lasting global effects. The meteor of the documentary you're referring to impacted with a force of 100 million megatons which is enough to cause an extinction-level event and will be the end of the world as we know it today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

Not only size and mass can make troubles, - as far as i remember, angle of entering into Earth atmosphere and angle of hit too.

The longer a meteor has to travel through the atmosphere to slower it will go. A very steep impact angle is less fortunate for us. :p

It's happened before, it'd be able to do some serious damage (size of a football field after losing about a quarter burning up an impact would probably yield amounts within the range of about 150-200Mton nuclear device [tsar bomb that russians detonated was 50Mton and were worried it may break the earth]) and have similar effects on environment around it as a super volcano which would have a temporary global effect on weather, visibility, air pollution and temperatures.

Based on nuclear detonation damage that would have an immediate complete devastating radius of about the size of maybe whole coast of US states (within about 1 or 2 states would be smoked to point of no existence, vaporisation :D) and damage wave going out about the size of an entire continent (the shock waves would reverberate around the world about a dozen times) as well as causing several global earth quakes which would be enough to set off volatile volcanos etc. It would be same as that which wiped dinosaurs which humans being a bit brighter then them we would be able to live through but it would be a tough year or 2 following it in survival mode.

You're confusing an asteroid of about 10 kilometers across (the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, and the one talked about in the documentary you're referring to) with one 270 meters across (the one we're talking about in this thread). 270 meters most definitely isn't enough to wipe out the entire planet. Half a continent, yes. Most of the Earth, no.

According to NASA Apophis will cause an explosion of roughly 510 megatons, which isn't enough to cause long-lasting global effects. The meteor of the documentary you're referring to impacted with a force of 100 million megatons which is enough to cause an extinction-level event and will be the end of the world as we know it today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

Oh lol my bad, i watch way to many documentaries so i got them mixed up :whistle:

But still half a content being wiped out is gonna have a major impact on earth. Even if there won't be "long-lasting" effects.

Imagine the waves that thing would cause if it took a dip in the oceaan. That reminds me i need to learn how to surf :laugh:

Lets not forget that it's not the impact alone that will cause problems for humanity. An asteroid that size hitting the Earth at that speed will throw a very large amount of debris into the atmosphere that will stay there for weeks, months, or years. I've no idea how much debris, and how thick it will be, but it wouldn't take much to start reducing the power of the sun that gets through to the surface. All of that is assuming it hits land. What happens if it hits the sea? A giant tsunami, that's what :)

When the lives of millions of people are at stake, 1 in 250,000 is fairly short odds. I would hope they are coming up with plans to deflect or destroy this asteroid by now.

So when does the production of "2036" start :p

Exactly; someone send this link to Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin and see what they do with it!

Meh Wasn't there something like this a couple of years ago with some other asteroid? Then they figured out it was a Miscalculation and that it was going to pass XXXXXXXX miles away instead of XXX... Although by 2036 I'll be hmm 52, so just let me know around 2030 to start mass massacres :shifty:

From what I have heard, a "near miss" in astrological terms is anything passing within 250,000 miles of us. The chances of it actually hitting us are pretty small really.

Meh Wasn't there something like this a couple of years ago with some other asteroid? Then they figured out it was a Miscalculation and that it was going to pass XXXXXXXX miles away instead of XXX... Although by 2036 I'll be hmm 52, so just let me know around 2030 to start mass massacres :shifty:

I think it's the same asteroid. They've just been re-crunching the numbers from time to time. The Americans don't project it to pass as close to the earth as the Russians do. I think the Americans have it pegged at a 1 in 250,000 chance or something like that.

Edit:

Oh, I just summarized the article in the first post. I knew I knew that from somewhere. :ninja:

Exactly; someone send this link to Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin and see what they do with it!

Michael Bay will probably come up with something overly dramatic.

Lol...Apophis being a threat to humanity is familiar...

Michael Bay will probably come up with something overly dramatic.

Lol...Apophis being a threat to humanity is familiar...

It'll have lots of explosions. Explosions are good. :)

I'm going to say it's unlikely at best. Apophis is an awesome name though, and if I hadn't already established my Gamertag I'd almost consider changing to it as a joke. If it happens, will it be that vast a collision? At the size of two football fields, it wouldn't make a massive mark on a city. I'm thinking of London, but I'm sure other cities provide even better comparisons. Even if it does enter earth, there's a chance that it'll hit one of the many vast expansions of ocean. If it did that, surely it wouldn't be a threat or could it cause tsunamis and tidal waves? I like the idea posted above about one of those epic Russian missiles (I believe it was the Tsar Bomb?) being used to annihilate the asteroid: footage of that would be amazing to see.

If you're interested, the History channel and the Science channel both have great shows about Apophis. Heres the deal.....We wont know for sure if Apophis will strick the Earth until the first pass. IF during the first pass the asteriod passes through a particularly spot (what they call a keyhole) the Earth's gravity will nudge the rock closer thu bringing it within striking distance on 2036.

If it does hit us, it will be a major event that will likely kills hundreds of millions if not more. This rock has the ability to kick up enough debris into the atmosphere to cause a nuclear winter thus killing crops and leading to starvation for many.

If you're interested, the History channel and the Science channel both have great shows about Apophis. Heres the deal.....We wont know for sure if Apophis will strick the Earth until the first pass. IF during the first pass the asteriod passes through a particularly spot (what they call a keyhole) the Earth's gravity will nudge the rock closer thu bringing it within striking distance on 2036.

If it does hit us, it will be a major event that will likely kills hundreds of millions if not more. This rock has the ability to kick up enough debris into the atmosphere to cause a nuclear winter thus killing crops and leading to starvation for many.

Ooh. I had no idea it could prove that devastating in the event it does manage to make the 'first pass'. I'd tune in to the Science channel and watch that stuff, but I don't have any method of doing so. My family does not use anything like cable TV, except for Freeview, and it doesn't support a lot of the channels.