Anathema

First off, I'm obviously no westerner and thus don't really know a huge deal about metal and rock. But that doesn't mean I don't have ears to perceive the beauty of music.

So with that said, I must say that I'm amazed at the low recognition and fame that Anathema often gets. I think their music is just amazing, very emotional and of course to the point of their nature, quite depressive and gloomy. Their music makes me speechless at times. The music just sounds perfect in most of their songs, and their lyrics couldn't be anymore profoundly gloomy.

I mean aren't they just underrated like, UNDERRATED?! They got the real talent and they produce quality music that really touches your heart, so why is their name rarely mentioned in many places like here? Is it solely because their style is not popular out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so2uWYlLH9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC363-X4W-k

I am just wondering, and not trying to argue. :)

Here goes the gloomy bump...

How on the ****ing unjust earth is Slipknot mentioned and respected way more often than Anathema?! Seriously. Anathema is musically superior, the atmosphere they create is heavenly. Their lyrics rocks your heart, it touches the bottom of it. How come Slipknot -or any other ridiculous band for that matter- gets more respect than a highly talented and heavenly band like Anathema? Somebody please tell me!

Now, I'm arguing.

Music isn't a competition which can be measured in simple terms like better or worse. It's a transfer of emotions which can hit you in a bad or good way. What some people consider crap, can be beautiful to others, and vice versa. Sure you can discuss the technical nature of it all (which guitar has more lasers and explosions etc.), but the fact remains that everyone likes different stuff for different reasons.

As for Anathema: heard them a few times, just didn't click with me.

Music isn't a competition which can be measured in simple terms like better or worse. It's a transfer of emotions which can hit you in a bad or good way. What some people consider crap, can be beautiful to others, and vice versa. Sure you can discuss the technical nature of it all (which guitar has more lasers and explosions etc.), but the fact remains that everyone likes different stuff for different reasons.

As for Anathema: heard them a few times, just didn't click with me.

I understand people have different tastes and different moods at times. In fact, I'm often quite a moody guy and listen to types of music typically considered at odds e.g trance and metal. But no way I can understand anybody dismissing the mesmerizing sound and atmosphere that Anathema often manages to create in their songs.

You guys need to give some of their major songs like Anyone Anywhere or Emotional Winter a deep listen to comprehend the delicate gloomy mood they manage to create. There's no way in hell you can tell me Anathema and Slipknot both suck; that only goes to show that your ears are plain damaged. Even if you are not fond of their deep melancholic atmosphere in most of their rock songs, you have got to be tasteless and deaf to say they suck. That's it. And even assuming that Anathema sucks the same level as Slipknot( though I have to admit they are not quite comparable in their styles, the style itself is what I'm talking about), how come one is so well-known and the other is pretty out of sight? Is it that music is no more about ears, and it's more about the performance on stage and face/hair styles and aggressive words in lyrics? I just don't get it, but I can't be blamed for that because I can tell the difference between noise and music, that is for sure.

Edit- their early sound which i'm not too fond of in general.

also one of their early masterpieces.

I love Anathema. I've been a fan of theirs since '95, though I prefer their more "metal" albums and I haven't liked much from them after the Alternative 4 album. Definitely a very underrated band though.