• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Web Design with SQL

Question

Phillip    0

I'm about to start a new side project (for a rural school district) that basically is going to be building a website and creating a server to convert an old Access Database into a sql database. They've already got the server setup and ready to go. The access to sql part shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure what the best way to create the frontend. I've found several tutorials on how to do it, and I've played around with a few. Looking for anyone with experience with this. Basicallly the site will be an inventory system, so basically it's pulling one record up, making a few changes and then saving it. There are two fields they will be using to pull data. Looking for a user friendly program to write this in, as I don't do very much web design. This was asked basically as a favor, so freeware would be great, or something with a full feature trial, but if needed, I can get them to order software.

Thanks

Phil

1 answer to this question

Mouldy Punk    11

It entirely depends on the sort of interface you're trying to replace/need and what SQL server you're moving to. If you're using MySQL, would something like phpmyadmin be a good enough interface? I don't know if something similar exists for MSSQL or other SQL varieties. SQLYog is a client-based program (Rather than web-based) and might also be worth checking out. They have a free version, but you might have to buy a license for an academic setting - IDK.

Do you need a more bespoke interface that end users can be trained on relatively easily? If yes, PHP can interface with a range of SQL servers and it can create and output the HTML/CSS frontend for end users.