Why Hacking the PS3 is good for everyone

The whole linux thing ...

If you bought a house, and you had a massive hole in it ... and the agent said "Oh it's ok, that's a perfectly fine hole. No one will come in and do anything bad".

And then 6 months down the line, the neighbourhood became violent, filled with crime etc, and your agent came back and said "We've filled in that hole for you ... you can't use it anymore, but you're safer" ...

That's essentially what Sony has done. They didn't remove OtherOS for any reason other than the ability for the system to be tampered with. It wasn't secure enough clearly.

Anyways ... not agreeing or disagreeing about that. I am just trying to show that Sony did have a good reason.

I'm sure it's more than half. OtherOS has access to 6 of the 7 available SPE cores.

Pretty sure OtherOS had access to all the cores, but not the GPU. While playing a game, the game had access to 6 of 7 cores because the 7th was reserved for the PS3 OS.

The whole linux thing ...

If you bought a house, and you had a massive hole in it ... and the agent said "Oh it's ok, that's a perfectly fine hole. No one will come in and do anything bad".

And then 6 months down the line, the neighbourhood became violent, filled with crime etc, and your agent came back and said "We've filled in that hole for you ... you can't use it anymore, but you're safer" ...

That's essentially what Sony has done. They didn't remove OtherOS for any reason other than the ability for the system to be tampered with. It wasn't secure enough clearly.

Anyways ... not agreeing or disagreeing about that. I am just trying to show that Sony did have a good reason.

I agree with this analogy for the most part. The only thing that I would change is that the agent would remove something. Maybe you bought the house because it had a good furnace, then the agent deemed it unsafe. They remove it and don't give compensation.

I agree with this analogy for the most part. The only thing that I would change is that the agent would remove something. Maybe you bought the house because it had a good furnace, then the agent deemed it unsafe. They remove it and don't give compensation.

why shoudl they give compensations, 3 years down the line the warranty on the furnace is out anyway. much like the SOny license said they could remove it down the line.

why shoudl they give compensations, 3 years down the line the warranty on the furnace is out anyway. much like the SOny license said they could remove it down the line.

I think you are speaking of the EULA, which doesn't need to be accepted to use the PS3.

It's my PS3 and if I want to launch it out of a rail-gun at a crowd of people then I can! I bought it!

Haha ... okay.

I think you are speaking of the EULA, which doesn't need to be accepted to use the PS3.

technically it does, unless you use a proxy(as in another person to click accept).

but if it's your PS3, chances are you saw the shrink wrap, and the Eula when you started it up, and again when you created an account.

technically it does, unless you use a proxy(as in another person to click accept).

but if it's your PS3, chances are you saw the shrink wrap, and the Eula when you started it up, and again when you created an account.

A EULA is only required to be accepted if you have a PSN account.

It's my PS3 and if I want to launch it out of a rail-gun at a crowd of people then I can! I bought it!

Ummm... I don't think anyone said that you can't?

A EULA is only required to be accepted if you have a PSN account.

Or most likely before any OS update.

That's right, you can, as long as you don't hack the PS3 software to trigger the rail gun, then you are outside of the license.

What do people not get about the difference between hardware and software? Yes, it's your PS3. Want true freedom? Make your own OS for it, and don't base any of it on the current firmware. Want to play PS3 games with your newly made unique firmware? That's too bad.

What do people not get about the difference between hardware and software? Yes, it's your PS3. Want true freedom? Make your own OS for it, and don't base any of it on the current firmware. Want to play PS3 games with your newly made unique firmware? That's too bad.

That isn't Sony's main argument. Here is Sony's complaint: http://www.scribd.com/doc/46739943/Complaint

They argue that by removing circumvention protections that they have placed, that hackers are committing a violation of the TOS. However, acceptance of the TOS is contingent on whether or not you use PSN. Geohot has never used PSN however. Geohot never distributed any of Sony's code, all his code is 100% original. However, individual users can compile that code in private, which many agree is 100% legal.

That isn't Sony's main argument. Here is Sony's complaint: http://www.scribd.com/doc/46739943/Complaint

They argue that by removing circumvention protections that they have placed, that hackers are committing a violation of the TOS. However, acceptance of the TOS is contingent on whether or not you use PSN. Geohot has never used PSN however. Geohot never distributed any of Sony's code, all his code is 100% original. However, individual users can compile that code in private, which many agree is 100% legal.

Claims he has never used PSN. He better hope he never logged in.

Claims he has never used PSN. He better hope he never logged in.

Sony should know :)

They claim a tag called "GeoHot" belongs to the George Hotz being sued. There are a few inconsistencies, however, the tag is spelled as "GeoHot", which is not how geohot spells his name (all lowercase). Also, he doesn't live in Rhode Island, and is not 15. (He lives in New Jersey and is 21). Other than that, Sony doesn't have much ... and they can't prove that that is his tag. There are a million iPhone jailbreak fans that could have made that.

You actually accept the ToS whenever you update your firmware - better read up on what you press Accept on next time.

If he ever updated his firmware, which I'm pretty sure he did - ding ding.

I have a general interest in driving my neighbor's Lexus. My Mazda is not a substitute.

Guess I have the right to drive my neighbor's Lexus...

Did you buy your neighbor's Lexus? Because I bought my PS3. That includes its cell processor.

Sure, go ahead. You'll get thrown in jail because you launched stuff at people with a rail gun. The fact that it was a PS3 makes no difference.

Sure, go ahead. You'll get thrown in jail because you launched stuff at people with a rail gun. The fact that it was a PS3 makes no difference.

And there lies the issue with "It's my hardware, I can do what I want with it"; not if what you want is illegal or breach of contract.

You actually accept the ToS whenever you update your firmware - better read up on what you press Accept on next time.

If he ever updated his firmware, which I'm pretty sure he did - ding ding.

Updating a PS3 does not subject a user to the PSN TOS or any other agreement. The 3.55 firmware may be accessed, without encountering any agreements, directly from the Sony website at http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_1207_ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Upon installing the firmware, the only agreement encountered by an end user is an agreement with SCE which is not a party in this lawsuit.

Updating a PS3 does not subject a user to the PSN TOS or any other agreement. The 3.55 firmware may be accessed, without encountering any agreements, directly from the Sony website at http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2010_1207_ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Upon installing the firmware, the only agreement encountered by an end user is an agreement with SCE which is not a party in this lawsuit.

Sony Computer Entertainment isn't part of Sony?

Sony Computer Entertainment isn't part of Sony?

SCEA =/= SCE =/= SONY

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA LLC vs. GEORGE HOTZ; HECTOR MARTIN CANTERO; SVEN PETER; and DOES 1 through 100, Defendants

read the court docs

SCEA =/= SCE =/= SONY

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA LLC vs. GEORGE HOTZ; HECTOR MARTIN CANTERO; SVEN PETER; and DOES 1 through 100, Defendants

read the court docs

SCEA is the American arm of SCE, and Hotz is an American citizen being tried in an American court. You're grasping at straws here.