Movies with a rape scene

Now I want to have a serious discussion about this.

I watched the movie "I spit on your grave" (the remake), which started off as any horror movie. I sat down not knowing what to expect, as that's the mind set I like to have before watching a movie.. cause if I know the ending or parts of the story, I usually just turn it off when it gets boring.

The movie began with a girl being by herself up at her cabin, and of course hearing weird sounds and what not. Eventually a couple of guys break into her cabin and.. well, i'll let you watch it to find out.

Anyways, there was a rape scene during the movie.. two actually. At this point, I was ready to turn the movie off. I know my brothers and I feel the same way about movies with a rape scene, it's just over the top and disturbing to watch. Even though it is fake, it does make me feel uncomfortable to even watch.

If anyone has watched "The last house on the left", you'll remember how long and unnecessary that entire scene was. A group of guys raping a girl in the middle of the forest. I was really close to turning that movie off too. I've even heard that people got up and walked out of the theater when that movie came out.

How do you guys feel about movies like this? Had I known beforehand there was a rape scene in this movie, I probably would have skipped it. However, I'm glad I watched the entire thing, because the rest of the movie was actually really good.

As far as film goes if it's driving the story in some way then I am okay with it as long as it's done as tasteful as a rape scene can be done. Sometimes you have to wonder if film makers do these kinds of scenes for pure shock value and to drum up some kind of controversy for the movie.

I will try to not watch them.. My mom told us kids about "The Last House On The Left" the original one and she bought it and we watched it. I was too young to really understand it, was maybe 13yrs old?

Anyways, (personal?) My sister was raped at a party, my g/f was raped by a relative... so I have gut wrenching feeling about rape of any kind.

If there's a rape scene I usually get a little ticked off and then talk about after the movie... I guess you can say, it grinds my gears to see or hear of this happening... :angry:

The only rape scene I saw was in Pirates... and after a while the girl started to like it.. On a serious note, my Ex has stuff in her childhood that makes it tough even for me to watch or hear about knowing someone in person.. and on a very personal level that went through that.

I had "Last House On The Left" in my head as I was reading this, mainly because I only watched it the other day.

The rape scene is fairly graphic and not pleasant at all, but quite a bit of the film isn't.

Now, personally... if there is anything in a movie I do not like... I simply tell myself/remind myself it isn't real so it really doesn't bother me. (I don't get angry... why get angry at a movie... and I don't really get disgusted... again why get disgusted at a movie... it's just an act of fiction). It is totally different though if watching something on TV that is reporting a real life rape though, I am disgusted and angry, so don't think I'm not bothered at all by it.

Also - I've never personally known anyone who has been raped... I would say if I had then I would not find the rape scenes nice at all to watch and infact probably wouldn't be able to watch them (but that would go as well if someone I knew had been murdered etc etc).

"A Clockwork Orange" disturbed me and got turned off, theres no reason to show the scene, if the storyline revolves around that subject, it would be easy enough to show that it happened without actually showing it happen.

Example: We all know James Bond gets to have his wicked way with the Bond Girls, but we don't see the whole scene

What about Straw Dogs (1971), that was banned in the UK in 1984 and was controversial because of the rape scene.

I know Wikipedia isn't the greatest website to quote but: Straw Dogs

Years ago when I went to the movies to see Vanilla Sky, my wallet felt like it was raped.

But seriously, I know what you mean. Whenever I see a rape scene in a movie, it makes my blood boil. I get so angry and it's supposed to be fake. Most recently I watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and the rape scene bothered me.

I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 1 movie with a rape scene, but the only one I can remember was in the Shawshank Redemption. Which made me NEVER want to go to prison. Ever. Same with the HBO series Oz. Of course it happened a little more frequently there.

Rape scenes always bother me in films, I can't imagine that kind of abuse and violence that someone has to experience. I think it is more personal to me though due to knowing of people that unconcented things have happened to. I like to think that I would feel the same if I didn't, but it probably is emphasised by this knowledge.

It's interesting to see on here the amount of people who can relate on a personal level.

Couple of times I have turned off films because I just feel disturbed.

Interesting -- a vague rape scene is disturbing.

But a graphic murder is not .... :ermm:

It's one of those things that falls under "Things worse than death" . If somebody gets killed, it ends with their death, but rape is something they have to live with for potentially the rest of their lives. Its something their loved ones have to deal with as well. Death is often used as a way to relive suffering. People often say "He/she is now out of his misery" when it comes to death, nobody really says that about rape.

Something that I thought was interesting....I live in New York City, and once I dated a girl from California who was raped in the past, and she found that in the western part of the U.S. rape is like a normal occurrence, it seemed more acceptable than in the East(at least Northeast). She knew a lot of girls both in California and Nevada that had been raped by people they knew and did nothing about it. Many cases were widely known and it was almost as if it was ok. Where as in the east(NYC at least) people would become angry at the thought of known people who committed rape just walking around.

Let me just add my input, The Condemned is also a movie with a rape scene, if anyone has seen it. It's not as disturbing or graphic as Last House on the Left, but it's definitely in there.

Not a great fan of Horror movies and I despise rape scenes in movies. I have heard about this and there has been a few complaints as it was a little too close to reality.

Same with the HBO series Oz. Of course it happened a little more frequently there.

Fantastic tv show. Really enjoyed that. Yes, many disturbing scenes, but after all this is what the show was about, the horrible reality behind a prison cell. This makes much more sense than a rape scene in some random movie.

Watch The Evil Dead and you'll never look at a forest the same way again. :s

Did NOT see that coming. Total "WTF" moment when I saw that. It was more like "No..., they wouldn't...what!?"