Movies with a rape scene

I know this is kind of reverse sexism, but it's refreshing to see these comments from a guy. =/At any rate, I also find them disturbing. One specific instance that comes to mind is the rape of the Queen in 300. I like that movie, the guys are awesome, the action is great, etc and all of the things said about it. I saw the rape scene once when I first saw the movie. On subsequent viewings, I fast-forward through it. There are other instances where a rape happens, such as in the first season of 24, but it's not viewed. The incident showed the caliber of the woman (who basically put herself in her daughter's place for the assault), and affected the show and relationships after it happened. It was relevant, the audience knew it happened, yet it wasn't on screen. The producers of the show may have done it this way because it was on network television, but I thought it was the right way to go.

The whole idea of films is to elicit emotions from you. You and the character are in this together, this is their story etc, their being raped is probably a big part in their live/their story.

In the end, films are an art form and the directors are free to express themselves however the wish. Perhaps they've had personal experiences of rape and this is their way of coping?

You can't argue that rape scenes do help to raise awareness - maybe even helping victims come to terms with it themselves?

And also, my reasoning for quoting SakuraKira - sexism isn't limited to men thinking they are better than women, it's the belief that one sex is superior than the other. So this wouldn't be reverse sexism, it's just plain old regular sexism! :laugh:

The whole idea of films is to elicit emotions from you. You and the character are in this together, this is their story etc, their being raped is probably a big part in their live/their story.

In the end, films are an art form and the directors are free to express themselves however the wish. Perhaps they've had personal experiences of rape and this is their way of coping?

You can't argue that rape scenes do help to raise awareness - maybe even helping victims come to terms with it themselves?

And also, my reasoning for quoting SakuraKira - sexism isn't limited to men thinking they are better than women, it's the belief that one sex is superior than the other. So this wouldn't be reverse sexism, it's just plain old regular sexism! :laugh:

When ever i hear the term "reverse sexism" i always think hmmm closet Femnazi.

I also watched I spit on your grave (the remake) the other day with a mate, and even though I have just started working in film, I was not at ease watching that movie at all. It?s hard because as films goes, it?s not a bad film by any means. It?s just not a movie you can say yer its fab, and recommend it to friends lol.

As for "Last House On The Left?? not seen it yet but I am aware there is a overly long scene of young rape, so yer might give that movie a miss

Rape scenes in movies don't bother me any more than murders in movies bother me. <shrugs> It's a movie.

On the other hand, I think the death penalty should be on the table for rape in real life (not mandatory, but a possible penalty under the right circumstances).

I think people look too much into whats in a movie, it's all faked anyways (and let's face it people have shown worse than rape at the movies), if you don't like whats on the screen press the big red button your clicker marked "PWR" or something similar and do something else

note: I am not one of these people who believes that people react badly to what they see in the movies

If its a movie, deal with it. There are alot worse things in movies than just rape scenes like mass genocide and killing, wait that rape scene from Tears of the sun made me wanna kill that guy come to think of it. Yet since it was a movie it so i moved on life goes on.

Interesting -- a vague rape scene is disturbing.

But a graphic murder is not .... :ermm:

I'd rather be murdered than raped, at least the murder you don't have to live with the rest of your life. And no, I couldn't watch that in a movie.

I think people look too much into whats in a movie, it's all faked anyways (and let's face it people have shown worse than rape at the movies), if you don't like whats on the screen press the big red button your clicker marked "PWR" or something similar and do something else

note: I am not one of these people who believes that people react badly to what they see in the movies

OH like those who gasp during intense scenes. I swear those people are simple minded!

300 hasnt got a rape scene she let him bang her to let her speak in the council and for his support, of course he went against it cus he was a traitor.

Rape scenes in films like last house on the left are to be expected cus lets face it its what what happen if that incident actually occurred in real life. Tis part of the film just watch it. Fair play itll be hard if you know someones bin raped but its still just a movie.

One of the reasons why rape messes up a womans mind is because she obviously doesnt want it but her body likes it cus of the obvious reasons and is uncontrollable.

Rape is the worst offence any man or woman can undertake in my opinion.

I think they should not be allowed in films, sitcoms or plays.

The mention of them is acceptable, however the event being shown is unacceptable.

Rape is power and controlling someone who does not want your attention and forcefully undertaking intercourse without consent is what the perpetrator wants.

Men rape Men, Women rape Women, Men rape Women and Women rape Men.

It's all wrong.

In cases they're a necessity, both for propelling the story or giving it a reason, and for depicting the world we live in.

Rape happens, and there is no point in shying away from it.

300 hasnt got a rape scene she let him bang her to let her speak in the council and for his support, of course he went against it cus he was a traitor.

Rape scenes in films like last house on the left are to be expected cus lets face it its what what happen if that incident actually occurred in real life. Tis part of the film just watch it. Fair play itll be hard if you know someones bin raped but its still just a movie.

One of the reasons why rape messes up a womans mind is because she obviously doesnt want it but her body likes it cus of the obvious reasons and is uncontrollable.

Her body doesn't always "like it" in any way whatsoever.

Back in the caveman days, all the women were raped. It was the thing to do back then. It's only these days everyone has a problem with it.

Anyone saying they would rather be murdered than raped must not appreciate life. It's false anyway. If you had a gun to your head and the raper said "choose either rape or death" every single person would choose rape. Your instinct to survive would take over.

Back in the caveman days, all the women were raped. It was the thing to do back then. It's only these days everyone has a problem with it.

Anyone saying they would rather be murdered than raped must not appreciate life. It's false anyway. If you had a gun to your head and the raper said "choose either rape or death" every single person would choose rape. Your instinct to survive would take over.

You don't have the slightest f***ing clue what you're talking about, so just shut up.

Your post makes you look like a contemporary caveman. You couldn't come across as more of a moron if you tried...

OH like those who gasp during intense scenes. I swear those people are simple minded!

What I meant was don't let whats on the screen bother you, this is not meant to offend

Although not my kind of film at all, if it's relevant to the story being told, then I don't have a problem with it. That Jodie Foster film, for example.

If it's gratuitous or arguably unnecessary, then I won't watch it. There's a special place in hell reserved for people who find that "interesting".

I Spit On Your Grave is a rape-revenge film ( c'mon Andrew, you should of known that), and clearly the whole plot of the film hangs around the rape scene. In order for the film to work you have to identify with the victim, and then cheer as she commits heinous crimes against the perpetrator(s) in the name of "revenge". It's a genre. I knew what to expect before I watched it, and the scenes, although somewhat uncomfortable to watch, I viewed critically rather than emotionally. This is probably why I thought the film wasn't very good.

I think it depends on the context and the story tbh.

For example I thought the scene in watchman was acceptable, although that maybe due to the fact it was "only" attempted.

In another news, during yesterdays Cricket Match (as a warmup game for ICC World Cup), New Zealand was Raped DP style by Dhoni & Raina.

No seriously i am not comfortable with rape scenes in movies (as nobody is) but then its all fiction. Didnt you see the way the girl made the crows peck out the eyes of the camcorder guy in I Spit On Your Grave. its sheer cinema, the greater the crime & greater the punishment.

P.S. --- her titties are tooooooooo small (She looks like Justin Beiber with long hair, though the moaning & groaning is 100% same) in "I Spit On Your Grave"

Women rape Men.

Where ? :woot:

I don't know, it depend on the "pedagogic value" of the movie.

And by that, I DO NOT MEAN to learn "how to rape"...

I mean if there's some realistic psychological behaviours and reactions to analyse and interpret. (Ie: showing of the real after effects on the victim and the rapist)

If I would be interested by that, it's because I'm interested in going into sexology in a near future.

But movies like "I Spit on your Grave", from the Wiki details are not really in this kind, it's more like "free violence".

Where ? :woot:
I'm not sure you would like to be raped by a woman in real life...

Rape is the worst offence any man or woman can undertake in my opinion.

I think they should not be allowed in films, sitcoms or plays.

I'm going to have to disagree with your proposal of banning rape scenes in movies. I honestly do not mind a movie containing a rape scene as long as it drives the story; it has some reason to be there. That goes for any form of scenery in a movie. It needs to have a purpose and contribute to the story. Rape is very uncomfortable for most people to talk about, let alone watch it (real or not). It is a physical and emotional domination of one individual over another. It's a violation in the worst way.

I have seen several movies where a character had been raped and the scene was not explicitly shown, only implied. That is one way a director can choose to moderate the overwhelmingly uncomfortable feeling of the audience. However, I have seen several other movies in which the rape scene was shown and I do not feel that it was only for shock value. I feel that the director decided to include the scene for the purposes of having the audience experience the atrocity that the character fell prey to. Of course the audience can still be apathetic with only an implied rape, however, the showing of the rape scene can create an effect of realness towards the act. It can show how horrible it can be. It exposes the audience to the menacing evil that rape is.

I look at it as a way of making the audience of a particular movie with a rape scene aware of how horrible rape can be. This is comparable to people not wanting to look at diseased lungs caused by smoking because the lungs aren't pleasant to look at; do not show morbidly obese individuals because they are uncomfortable to look at. I remember having to read a novel in high school that included a very young boy being sexually molested by an elderly male. I remember going to the teacher that had assigned that particular reading and stating that I did not want to hear about children being molested. I'll never forget what that teacher told me. She told me that rape, sexual abuse, and molestation happens in the real world. Not wanting to hear about it doesn't make it go away. Listening to the stories of individuals who have been forced into these situations can help through awareness. These victims deserve to be heard. Simply shutting them up because we feel uncomfortable is selfish at best.