HDTV with native 1920x1080 resolution?

I'm thinking of getting an HDTV instead of a monitor to go with my upgraded

computer system. Computer monitors get to 30" and get outrageous in price.

HDTVs go over 30" for about the same money. I'm curious there are any HDTVs

with a native 1920x1080 resolution from DVI or HDMI inputs?

With at least 60hz.

One thing I've never got: If HDTVs are so much cheaper per inch than monitors, what's the point in buying a >28" monitor when you can just buy an HDTV with the same outputs and refresh rate?

One thing I've never got: If HDTVs are so much cheaper per inch than monitors, what's the point in buying a >28" monitor when you can just buy an HDTV with the same outputs and refresh rate?

HDTV @ 30": 1920x1080

Monitor @ 30": 2560x1600

Slight difference in resolution, no?

Resolution and panel. Most 30" monitors are IPS (or similar) at 2560x1600. Most 30" LCD tvs are just regular TN panels and are quite cheaply made.

Since well...30" monitors are usually used by design professionals where they need color accuracy / a good panel. 30" tvs on the other hand are like bought by students or people who want to save money but still get an LCD tv (just a generalization).

Yea, it's native resolution that I'm looking for at at least 60hz.

For example, I bought my daughter a "just ok" HDTV for her room- a Vizio something

that will do 1920x1080, but only at 30hz. It's a 32" or 34".

Anyhow, Monitors can get crazy high resolutions, true, but I never play at those

resolutions, anyhow. Therefore, it seems an HDTV is a better option for my

gaming needs. I'll look at the two you posted, Hum.

You don't want to use a HDTV for a desktop computer, the panels are generally crap and they're so big you have to stand a fair distance away from them.

I use a 37" at my monitor at work and it works out great. Especially when I have some site drawings open.

Now I prefer my 27" iMac at home just because of the higher 2560x1440 resolution (well that and it's a Mac).

You don't want to use a HDTV for a desktop computer, the panels are generally crap and they're so big you have to stand a fair distance away from them.

Yes, EXACTLY. I don't sit right in front of the screen. :)

As for the screen being crap... what do you mean? I know input lag COULD be a problem... but other than that, what's wrong with the screen?

I'm thinking this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL32EX400/13812460?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13812460

Bravia has a damn good rep- I own a 46" for home viewing- and this one looks like it will do 1920x1080 in 60hz just fine.

• 2 months later...

How many TV channels are 1080p compatible???

Over broadcast TV, none. They are either 720p or 1080i. Some satellite and cable systems do have channels in 1080p though.

I have an older Sony Bravia 50" DLP HDTV, and just for kicks and giggles I hooked up my PC to it, I got a DVI to HDMI cable, and it looked pretty damn good to me. And my TV is about 3-4 years old now.

So if you can sit far enough away from it, I see no reason whatsoever why a newer HDTV could not work for a computer these days. May have to tweak a few settings in the control panel of the TV itself to get a perfect image, but it should be fine. Definitely.

If HDTV is good enough for consoles why wouldn't it be good enough for a PC?

maybe because PC's GPU have 0-255 Color profile activated over the shaders?

plus AA and AF is better viewed at Monitors

I have an older Sony Bravia 50" DLP HDTV, and just for kicks and giggles I hooked up my PC to it, I got a DVI to HDMI cable, and it looked pretty damn good to me. And my TV is about 3-4 years old now.

So if you can sit far enough away from it, I see no reason whatsoever why a newer HDTV could not work for a computer these days. May have to tweak a few settings in the control panel of the TV itself to get a perfect image, but it should be fine. Definitely.

I repped ya man, cause this is the truth :)

I have a 55" LCD Samsung. Hooked PC up to it, and it was amazing. Just something special about having things almost scaling to the real life size :p

Just remember though, on something so big, you have to sit farther away. It is good for games, not good for reading, as even though the font is on a bigger screen, sitting farther away can make it a chore reading some things.

I repped ya man, cause this is the truth :)

I have a 55" LCD Samsung. Hooked PC up to it, and it was amazing. Just something special about having things almost scaling to the real life size :p

Just remember though, on something so big, you have to sit farther away. It is good for games, not good for reading, as even though the font is on a bigger screen, sitting farther away can make it a chore reading some things.

Thanks man. (Y)

Reading it back, I did state it pretty succinct and eloquent. :laugh:

You make a great counter point though as well. It really is good for gaming and also for viewing higher quality videos. For reading, even something as "normal" as being on Neowin, it really is not all that good for at all.

Just something reading at that size does not feel right at all.

Yes, EXACTLY. I don't sit right in front of the screen. :)

Why would you want to buy a PC screen you can't sit in front of? PPI is the biggest problem with any LCD screen at large sizes. Anything over 24/25" becomes painful at 1080 imo and even those are a bit rough.