What features do you actually miss?

Hi,

I have a question for those with Windows Phone 7 devices. From the laundry list of features that Windows Phone does not have that anti-WP7 people quote religiously, what do you actually miss? A friend and I have been in a days long argument over the Nokia-Microsoft partnership and he likes to quote the things that WP7 is missing, he would have prefered that they had gone Android. If it were available in my area, I would see for myself but I live in the Caribbean so I don't have the opportunity to get it just yet and I am not even sure I can activate it through my Live ID.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I'm truly missing is custom ring tones. and thta's not overly important.

outside that I do miss not having it fully working here because it's not officially launched, but that's not fully MS fault. rather the fault of a fragmented europe with a million different licensing deals.

I miss a few minor things, like custom ringtones etc, but I can wait for updates to come. I don't plan on changing my LG Optimus 7 anytime soon.

Hi,

I have a question for those with Windows Phone 7 devices. From the laundry list of features that Windows Phone does not have that anti-WP7 people quote religiously, what do you actually miss? A friend and I have been in a days long argument over the Nokia-Microsoft partnership and he likes to quote the things that WP7 is missing, he would have prefered that they had gone Android. If it were available in my area, I would see for myself but I live in the Caribbean so I don't have the opportunity to get it just yet and I am not even sure I can activate it through my Live ID.

Thanks in advance.

You could of course point out to your friend that he has the same option that I have exercised. Just don't buy phones from Nokia, if he wants Android ;)

multitasking is what I missed now that Im back on my iphone 4 (HTC getting fixed). Getting a txt msg and losing my place in Twitter for example gets frustrating some times. Just that and a couple of games that arent on WP7.

You could of course point out to your friend that he has the same option that I have exercised. Just don't buy phones from Nokia, if he wants Android ;)

Oh, he has moved on to HTC and one of their many Android phones, he would just love to have a Nokia Android phone. The day before he said he would have bought a Nokia WP7 phone but when they said that they were phasing out Symbian for WP7 on the smartphone side, that was when he got on the "Microsoft has bought Nokia and they are going to kill them' train.

I listen to podcasts on daily basis and hence proper podcast support in zune as well as background audio for podcast apps would be nice. copy paste is probably the most hyped missing feature that I don't need much often.

IE9 can't get here fast enough though, the current browser is crap but still passable.

Just switched away from WP7 for these reasons:

- No proper SD card support. Big issue for the phone I had (Focus).

- Copy and paste is very useful to me.

- Camera settings not saving.

- Can't connect to hidden WiFi. BIG issue for me.

- No LED flashlight for the Focus.

- No Haptic feedback on keyboard presses.

- A browser that has landscape address entry and can enter text in forums properly and quickly.

Those are the big ones.

Typed on my Inspire 4G.

- A browser that has landscape address entry and can enter text in forums properly and quickly.

Those are the big ones.

Typed on my Inspire 4G.

What was the SD card issue on the focus? I've got one with a 16GB Kingston MicroSD card added in with no issues at all.

What was the SD card issue on the focus? I've got one with a 16GB Kingston MicroSD card added in with no issues at all.

It will work fine for a while, then it will start to go and you'll get random reboots. I had mine for 4 months until it started. Pretty well documented. May not happen to you though. Here's hoping ;)

Edit: I was using the same card as you. Here's the link: http://forums.wpcentral.com/samsung-focus/176452-anyones-focus-rebooting.html

Certified memory will come, but thats more of a hardware issue than WP7 itself since most phones don't have this upgrade ability.

Custom ringtones (very disappointed this has slipped to at least update2).

Save Camera settings

LED Flashlight

More mainstream apps!

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that a skype person said no app for WP7 now or maybe at all. of course if WP7 picks up then I think they will change their mind

Those are the big ones.

Typed on my Inspire 4G.

Focus has a LED flash? Are you talking about a flashlight app?

Focus has a LED flash? Are you talking about a flashlight app?

Right now developers lack low level control of the camera so there are no apps to use that as the flashlight. Instead we can only white out the main screen as a less than optimal alternative.

Guru brings up good points about giving the dialer some love. I forget how much that annoys me.

Just got my HD7 last night, and I'm blown away by it, but i do miss C&P contrary to what's being said about it. Also bing maps is fine even here in Turkey, but address optimization is done for the USA, so searching for an address is usually fruitless. And Marketplace is a mess :(

But these are minor considering what a blast it is to use.

Right now developers lack low level control of the camera so there are no apps to use that as the flashlight. Instead we can only white out the main screen as a less than optimal alternative.

Guru brings up good points about giving the dialer some love. I forget how much that annoys me.

There are several apps for my trophy that can use the camera led as a flashlight, from official htc apps, the official MS avatar apps, and third party apps.

Just got my HD7 last night, and I'm blown away by it, but i do miss C&P contrary to what's being said about it. Also bing maps is fine even here in Turkey, but address optimization is done for the USA, so searching for an address is usually fruitless. And Marketplace is a mess :(

But these are minor considering what a blast it is to use.

you probably need to do what I have to do in norway. add in ",town, country" after the street adress you're searching for.

and since it remembers the last search string, I donly need to click the street name/number to change those, and just leave the town and country part alone.

Just took delivery of my HTC 7 Pro yesterday -- and I'm loving it! The phone itself is stunning and Windows Phone 7 is unbelievable. It's eye-catching and unbelievably quick (tons quicker than WinMo 6.5 on my HTC Touch Pro2).

Couple of things I miss:

- no Windows Live Messenger client (although there is a free app for it). Why didn't MS include it?

- no Remote Desktop client (again there is an app for it - but you have to pay 12 quid for it)

- you can't remove "recents" from the People screen...rather embarrassing .. but I was checking out a girl's FB photos and she now appears in recent - although I've nothing to hide, it's probably best my missus doesn't see that one!

Other than that .. I think it's a great phone made even better by a great o/s!