- automatic update

- system restore

- cd writer

- movie maker

- messenger service

- windows media player

... and other proprietary crap that

and of course product activation.

What's wrong with automatic updates and system restore?

they slow down the computer :crazy:

i hate IE the most ;)

even with the fact i think its the best browser for windows lol :laugh:

i love Konqueror so much :happy:

Messenger service is great when used by the right people - server admins.

I use it to send messages to the rest of the ICT team when there is something important to know and it works damn well.

Righty

Movie maker it just plain sucks

neowin_hipster

I use msn messenger rather than windows messenger, but windows messenger is still there and occasionally decides to add itself to the auto-start thing on boot. :/

Windows update. Doesn't work and when it does some patches kill my system. Should never be web based!!

Like to uninstall things, but "can't" because its all intricately tied together. PaH! Shouldn't there be shared libraries then front ends that use them so if i don't want application X, like ie, it still has all the html libs but not any of the ie stuff!

Faster file system, new meta one is suppsed to make searching for files faster but access slower. IT's SLOW ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not an idiot who doesn't know where i put my files either!

New explorer interface. Wizards that don't work, advanced settings that aren't advanced, and big bulky everything everywhere.

And the Lots of stuff that doesn't work.

=NickJ=

i hate the fact that WHO OH WHY can windows NEVER seem to remember window settings like status bar/view options etc. ITS ONLY A GODDAMN SETTING FFS. Now i just go to a folder with random crap in, set details and status bar, and hit apply to all. much better but still should work in the first place :angry:

neowin_hipster

Oh, and i forgot, once in a while parts of my registry (all versions of windows) deicde to enter the void or something and i have to get new settings again. Sometimes it doesn't remember individual settings, specifically folder ones. Really annoying.

I think the windows registry needs to go or seriously revamped. Too much abuse and becomes too big, bloated, and full of waste and other crap left behind by applications. Applications should use an encrypted/plain config file in each users hidden folder goddam it! Probably save access time, memory, and Might save security too.

uniacidz
It saved my PC twice when TWEAKUI f*cked up windows!

TweakUI doesnt stuff up XP, the user does. In this case you stuffed up or tried something that you dont have a clue about. Funny. Handy hint for you, if you unsure what something does, then dont play around with it. Sheesh. You are a computer techs best friend. lol

As for XP, i dont like it how the Temp variables are located in the User Profile, i change mine to the Systemroot.

Since i am a single user also, i dont like the Temp Net Files/Cookies/Favourite/History in the Username profile either, so i switch mine to the Systemroot also, as now they are not hidden under subfolders.

By default its good for a new user, but advanced users like to configure and so there should be options available to do this, EG, remove media player/movie maker etc etc as before mentioned in this thread.

Otherwise i am happy with it. But MS have to start getting their finger out their asses and start making more secure OS's and hopefully they are getting their act together.

zhangm

I hate:

- The registry.

- The fact that there is a "new" critical flaw every week.

- The fact that Microsoft intentionally made Windows Messenger hard (impossible) to remove.

- Microsoft Works.

- New "attractive" interface with 16-bit icons scattered throughout it.

- Tooltips. They don't go away. I deleted the damn reg key and it got restored on bootup.

- Temp directories for *.zip files. "I deleted you! Why won't you go away?!"

- Internet Explorer.

- "Help and Support"; I swear, they put it there as a joke...

- My folder view settings change randomly. Like the attached picture. Apparently, Microsoft's attitude on this is that, "No, that bug does not exist. There is no evidence whatsoever that WinXP has this problem." Does this look like its supposed to be a f***ing picture folder to you?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

post-11-1062376398.jpg

Redestium

All the points listed here are so very true, I wish MS was listening.

Tom Y

That horrible indexing service that slows everything down. Just a worthless feature that should be killed IMO.

Also, the messenger service, although it can be fun sometimes. :devil:

AndyD

Only thing I dislike is the fact that the folder settings don't stick. Apperantly, there is a limit to how many folder settings XP can remember. Perhaps SP2 will take care of this. Other than that, I love the OS.

b1kshad0w

Outlook express!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the only thing I can't seem to get rid of. It's worse than any virus I've encountered.

AndyD

Can't you just set your other mail client to be default?

zerroeffect

I agree with everything said here, too. My biggest gripes are the stupid indexing and tracking, folder settings not sticking, and the icons/themes not being redily replacable or high quality. Why would they not want a prettier OS than Mac? Performance and compatibility? I think people have proven themselves worthy of creating spectacular themes and icons. Won't MS include some in thier new OS?

By the way, solved all my problems except the stupid folder settings thing. Too much work to go through if I ever have to format my system, though. Stupid MS OS... dammit, I love it. :pinch:

=ze=

whipper25
Just search through your registry until you find that key, I can't remember where it is but it's there somewhere.

i wouldn't even know where to begin...any suggestions?

munki

That...ridiculous search dog...but ahh, I've found the way to make it dissappear forever! Mwuahahaha. :p

wildliquid
I use msn messenger rather than windows messenger, but windows messenger is still there and occasionally decides to add itself to the auto-start thing on boot. :/

god damn i hate that, why does it feel it needs to open everynow and then :cry:

-=SD=-

This is where I go after a reinstall of xp, just to remove the messenger...

Remove Messenger Link

I also hate the indexing and that search dog...

Inertia
god damn i hate that, why does it feel it needs to open everynow and then :cry:

All I do is find it in program files , I think its in the "Messenger" folder , and rename msmsgs.exe to something like "msmsgs__.exe" and windows cant automaticaly launch it any more, if you ever want it back , just name it back :)

sanctified

lol 80% of your reasons are ridiculous, you can unistall messenger, movie maker and some other ms products easily, the same with help and support (just delete it)

system restore and automatic updates are there for the new user, if you are so frigging advanced then disable them, because you are so experienced that I am pretty sure that you know how (the same with cd writer, if you dont know how to disable it then shut up)

damn, people these days :rolleyes:

Inertia

oh, I hat ethe autorun feature .

I have firewire hard drives for storage, when i plug one in when the PC is running, then I have to wait ages for XP to scan the whole drive and decide what content it should auto run. Hitting cancel works, but it seems to continue scanning fo ra while after hitting cancel before it stops :-/

ozgeek

Quite interesting! You hate some features of Windows XP but still use XP.

What really bothers me are as follows:

:- Out of the box themes. Want to install custom themes without the need to crack a file (uxtheme.dll)

:- Default Windows Messenger which can be quite annoying. But I remove that version and install MSN Messenger 6.

:- Folder View settings not behaving. I've had what Relativity_17 had (see his screenshot in this thread), all over the place...I did a few formatting an reinstalling but that did not help. The problem seems to settle nowadays.

:- Product Activation. What's the need of this thing. XP has been cracked already.

:- Microsoft need to understand that there can be more than two computers in most families...What they do is try to tie one installation of XP to one computer. There should have been family packs. Money-greedy, Microsoft! :angry:

I think that's it. :)

sanctified

I have firewire hard drives for storage, when i plug one in when the PC is running, then I have to wait ages for XP to scan the whole drive and decide what content it should auto run. Hitting cancel works, but it seems to continue scanning fo ra while after hitting cancel before it stops :-/

again, it can be disabled, why you people dont post things that cant be avoided easily? what a bunch of advanced users you are

sanctified
:- Product Activation. What's the need of this thing. XP has been cracked already.

:- Microsoft need to understand that there can be more than two computers in most families...What they do is try to tie one installation of XP to one computer. There should have been family packs. Money-greedy, Microsoft! :angry:

I think that's it. :)

product activation: because of money greedy ******s that stole their windows, if you cant buy xp stick with an old version, period.

Get a disccount for licenses if you already own xp home edition and get a clue!

ozgeek

I have firewire hard drives for storage, when i plug one in when the PC is running, then I have to wait ages for XP to scan the whole drive and decide what content it should auto run.  Hitting cancel works, but it seems to continue scanning fo ra while after hitting cancel before it stops :-/

You can make XP stop this behaviour by going into TweakUI for Windows XP.

See screenshot

Edited by Jason Roberts

-=SD=-
again, it can be disabled, why you people dont post things that cant be avoided easily? what a bunch of advanced users you are

..maybe because this a feature thread that they dislike, sure they can be disabled but that doesn't mean they will like them more when it's disabled...