What feature do you dislike in XP?

..maybe because this a feature thread that they dislike, sure they can be disabled but that doesn't mean they will like them more when it's disabled...

why? a disabled feature means a non working feature, why the problem?

"look mom, I disabled the search dog but still I hate it" CRY ME A RIVER!!!!

Im not merciful?

I think the windows registry needs to go or seriously revamped. Too much abuse and becomes too big, bloated, and full of waste and other crap left behind by applications. Applications should use an encrypted/plain config file in each users hidden folder goddam it! Probably save access time, memory, and Might save security too.

So you want to go back to Windows 3.1 then, as that had what you are refering to.

,Sep 1 2003, 03:15] why? a disabled feature means a non working feature, why the problem?

"look mom, I disabled the search dog but still I hate it" CRY ME A RIVER!!!!

Im not merciful?

I just think you take this thread too seriously, and maybe it's more annoyance when you have to disable these on every re-install (atleast I do) which does make me dislike them.

All users suffering from folder view settings not sticking...

Download a nice copy of X-Setup from http://www.xteq.com/downloads/. (None of that TweakUI crap.) In the X-Setup default UI, go to Appearance | Files&Folders | Folders | Folder Setting Cache Size . Modify this to anything you want.

If it doesn't have this plugin by default, just run X-Update to download it.

Questions?

Questions?

I have one, do you think that this generation of "advanced users" will learn how to use "advance" tweaking programs like xsetup?

,Sep 1 2003, 08:48] I have one, do you think that this generation of "advanced users" will learn how to use "advance" tweaking programs like xsetup?

I do of course realise that I can disable autorun for removable drives, but this will afffect the function on my zip100 drive which I use to store photos.

I do of course realise that I can disable autorun for removable drives, but this will afffect the function on my zip100 drive which I use to store photos.

whats the hard part of opening explorer and the the drive? also ypu can disable autorun from only certain drives

,Sep 1 2003, 08:55] whats the hard part of opening explorer and the the drive? also ypu can disable autorun from only certain drives

This thread is for ppl to post what niggles them abotu XP , I have done, if it can be disabled or not , fine let people no, but theres no need to have the pathetic attitude about it, and yes, as mentioned above, you are taking the thread to seriously.

I love the OS in general, I just wanted to put my 2p in here, nothing wrong with that is there ?

as mentioned above, you are taking the thread to seriously.

yeah, thats because Im very sentimental...

no, really, Im behaving like this because this thread is useless, there is no point in doing this, so how can I take this thread seriously if this thread is not serious? you are the ones who take my replies to seriously, period.

,Sep 1 2003, 09:05] yeah, thats because Im very sentimental...

no, really, Im behaving like this because this thread is useless, there is no point in doing this, so how can I take this thread seriously if this thread is not serious? you are the ones who take my replies to seriously, period.

fair enuogh ;)

I dunno... Some of the XP "features" are akin to buying a car in which the air conditioner is wired to turn on whenever you start the car. Disabling it is as simple as opening the hood and snipping the blue wire. Any idiot can do it, but does that make this "feature" any less annoying?

Shellstyles (common task pane), I think it is the most useless addition to XP actually.

Most of those features you mentioned are useless on the Files and Folders Task pane, I agree. But there's one task that I found useful, which is Make a New Folder. I would prefer a "create folder" button option on the standard button bar, but there's none. However, there is a "new folder" button in the "Save" or "Save As" windows. For the work I do, I constantly need to make new folders everyday. Now I know I can right click and do a New > New Folder. But this is slow and annoying since the right click menu is very slow at popping up. If someone can show me how to make a "create folder" button on the standard buttons bar, that would be super if thats possible. Or secondly, setting a shortcut key that creates a folder when I press ctrl+n for example, that would be great. Then I can get rid of that whole left hand side pane for good, just disable it.

Shellstyles (common task pane), I think it is the most useless addition to XP actually.

Most of those features you mentioned are useless on the Files and Folders Task pane, I agree. But there's one task that I found useful, which is Make a New Folder. I would prefer a "create folder" button option on the standard button bar, but there's none. However, there is a "new folder" button in the "Save" or "Save As" windows. For the work I do, I constantly need to make new folders everyday. Now I know I can right click and do a New > New Folder. But this is slow and annoying since the right click menu is very slow at popping up. If someone can show me how to make a "create folder" button on the standard buttons bar, that would be super if thats possible. Or secondly, setting a shortcut key that creates a folder when I press ctrl+n for example, that would be great. Then I can get rid of that whole left hand side pane for good, just disable it.

I agree with you in creation of folders, but disagree with task panes. They are there to make the computer easy to use for beginners. (That's my opinion anyway everyone has different needs).

About the folders...I am looking too for the shortcut to creating a new folder as I too create loads of folders every week.

windows xp need to be able to hav emoticons in file names o man that would eb so sweet

That would be quite a nightmare

Imagine all the kids playing around with their filenames

:)this game rocks{-_-}.exe

sd's point is that these features are meant for and used by a)'normal' users and b) corporate users, depending on which feature you are talking about. State that you don't like it, that's fine, but don't say it's useless. People use it and MS knows it.

I am wondering what people think that shouldn't be in XP?

I think the stupid search companion should go

Though, it is easy to switch to the classic search with Tweak UI. :D

Errr... where about in TweakUI?

I am wondering what people think that shouldn't be in XP?

I think the stupid search companion should go

Though, it is easy to switch to the classic search with Tweak UI. :D

Errr... where about in TweakUI?

Explorer, near the bottom check the box that says Use Classic Search.

i couldtn live with out that search dog in windows xp it tells me what to do and it wags its tail agaha it so great; but windows xp needs to lose the crappy 256 color in the startup they should" start the gui sooner and give me a pretty 32bit 2054x1960" start up screen I bet ALOT OF peopel would liek this ti be put into windows.!