What feature do you dislike in XP?

Catagory View in control panel, wtf is it doing there i cant stand it.

Another thing is the user switching, does anyone use that?

Oh and that tool for moving you documents and settings to another pc, what a pants idea, in fact as you can see from the way this list is going i have the n00b features, no offence to people if you like some of this stuff but i find that it seams to be created for simpletons!!!

/edit

One more thing, Windows Messanger, WHY GOD!!!!! hehe it always seams to enable itself and mess up my Msn Messanger connection!

Edited by CubanPete

i can't stand that stuipd XP start menu... wtf !!! did they intentionally set out to make a menu that jsut clogs your screen with bollocks!!... what's so hard about clicking start, programs!!

- automatic update

- system restore

- cd writer

- movie maker

- messenger service

- windows media player

... and other proprietary crap that

and of course product activation.

-Whats wrong with the CD burning capabilites? The built in burning capability is actually decent for burning files to a disc. WMP is good at burning Audio CD's. The combination of the 2 are enough for most people because alot of people don't burn VCD's and Mixed CD's(Audio+Data). Don't get me wrong, I prefer Nero as much as everyone else here because I'm not most average consumers. However, there is still nothing wrong with the built-in burning. It doesn't interfere with anything and it certainly doesn't prevent you from using a 3rd party burning app. If you don't like it, don't use it.

BTW,

Don't most new Linux distros have a CD-burning app bundled with the OS?

-Whats wrong with Windows Media Player? It sounds good, WMP9 has alot of great features(I like the taskbar player especially), it has neat visualization, good full screen video controls, is skinable(you can even make it work with Winamp 2.x skins via the Windows Media Bonus pack for XP), etc. If you don't like it don't use it. It is only about 9.5 MB. It isn't like it is murdering your disk space and it isn't an always running service that is hogging your ram. Delete the shorcuts to it and you will never see it again.

BTW,

Most Linux distros have XMMS bundled with the OS.

-Auto update and System Restore are easy to disable.

-Move Maker isn't getting in your way. It is tucked away to where you don't even have to see it. It isn't like it is a always running service that eats your memory. If you don't like it, don't use it.

-Messenger service is easy to disable. It was originally intended for good. It was intended for a means of friends/family sending you emergency messages even when Windows Messenger wasn't running. Unfortunatle, those damn spam/ad companies had to turn something meant for good into something annoying to up thier profits. They detroyed the messenger service just like they destroyed enjoyable E-Mail usage. I don't know about you, but I can't stand checking for new E-Mail messages on my ISP given pop3 account only to have to download and sort through like 40 spam messages to get to a few messages that I care about.

-I like the "proprietary" crap alot better than the open source crap. At least the proprietary crap isn't constantly undergoing build updates to fix bugs in the old version only to bring more bugs in the new version. With open source stuff there are new nightly builds like every other day. It isn't like that with proprietary stuff. Proprietary stuff undergoes a Beta testing period before it is released as Gold. I have only seen 1 update to WMP 9 the whole time it has been out(a security fix) and thats it. How many new builds of XMMS have been released since WMP 9 has been out?

Product Activation does suck. I agree with you there. Luckily for me, I don't have product activation. ;)

,Sep 1 2003, 09:05] this thread is useless, ... this thread is not serious ... you are the ones who take my replies seriously, period.

Thanks for the compliments on my topic... :blink: :(

Category view, for people who are unfamiliar with the advanced side of Windows.

Userr switching, for people who have a life and maybe a family, not for the uber-1337 geeks in his basement with the Anna Kounikova topless wallpaper.

Category view, for people who are unfamiliar with the advanced side of Windows.

Userr switching, for people who have a life and maybe a family, not for the uber-1337 geeks in his basement with the Anna Kounikova topless wallpaper.

user switching is one of the best things they added in XP, in my dads house where we only have one PC its useful cos me and my sister can switc as an evening goes on without having to re-start everything we're doing :) (ok so with her its mostly solitaire and freecell but still u know how annoying it can be when you have to end those ;))

sd's point is that these features are meant for and used by a)'normal' users and b) corporate users, depending on which feature you are talking about. State that you don't like it, that's fine, but don't say it's useless. People use it and MS knows it.

thank you for the voice of reason in this sea of "advanced users"

,Sep 1 2003, 07:59] lol 80% of your reasons are ridiculous, you can unistall messenger, movie maker and some other ms products easily, the same with help and support (just delete it)

system restore and automatic updates are there for the new user, if you are so frigging advanced then disable them, because you are so experienced that I am pretty sure that you know how (the same with cd writer, if you dont know how to disable it then shut up)

damn, people these days :rolleyes:

just because people do not like the features, does not mean, they are advanced..., telling people to shutup if they do not know how to do something does not help either...

,Sep 1 2003, 07:59] lol 80% of your reasons are ridiculous, you can unistall messenger, movie maker and some other ms products easily, the same with help and support (just delete it)

system restore and automatic updates are there for the new user, if you are so frigging advanced then disable them, because you are so experienced that I am pretty sure that you know how (the same with cd writer, if you dont know how to disable it then shut up)

just because people do not like the features, does not mean, they are advanced..., telling people to shutup if they do not know how to do something does not help either...

oh, this thread is about helping people? how?

,Sep 1 2003, 20:43]

oh, this thread is about helping people? how?

I am only trying to see what people don't like, nothing more, nothing less... :D